Advertisements


Drilon urges Duterte to review appeasement policy towards China

MANILA, Philippines – Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon called on President Rodrigo Duterte and his administration to review the "policy of appeasement and accommodation on China,” saying it does not translate to better economic relations with the Asian giant. Drilon pointed out that Vietnam, which has been aggressive in ........»»

Category: newsSource: rappler rapplerJun 14th, 2018

Drilon urges Duterte to review appeasement policy towards China

MANILA, Philippines – Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon called on President Rodrigo Duterte and his administration to review the "policy of appeasement and accommodation on China,” saying it does not translate to better economic relations with the Asian giant. Drilon pointed out that Vietnam, which has been aggressive in ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 14th, 2018

Commentary: Is there crisis in Duterte admin’s appeasement policy on China?

Last month, President Rodrigo Duterte conveyed to his countrymen that he expected China to be fair on the South China Sea dispute and that they should accept Beijing as a good neighbor. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 22nd, 2018

Spell out China strategy in Sona, Carpio tells Duterte

President Duterte should spell out in his State of the Nation Address (Sona) on Monday his strategy on the territorial dispute with China after a Social Weather Stations (SWS) poll found that 9 of 10 Filipinos wanted the Philippines to recover its islands in the West Philippine Sea that Beijing had seized, acting Chief Justice Antonio Carpio said on Sunday. "I think this is a message to the Duterte administration that they have to listen to the people and that they cannot set aside the arbitral ruling," Carpio said. "This is really overwhelming. The Filipino people don't buy the appeasement policy that if we enforce the arbitral ruling, it means war [with China]," he said. "...Keep on reading: Spell out China strategy in Sona, Carpio tells Duterte.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 23rd, 2018

President’s stand on sea row needs review – Carpio

The recent Social Weather Stations poll showing that four of five Filipinos rebuffed the government's approach to the territorial dispute with China proved that President Rodrigo Duterte's policy was contrary to the public's position, acting Chief Justice Antonio Carpio said on Sunday. Carpio, who champions the country's sovereignty over the West Philippine Sea --- waters within the Philippines' 370-kilometer exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in the South China Sea --- said the latest poll also signaled the need for the Duterte administration to rethink its stand on the dispute. "The Filipino people understand the situation that . . . we have to protect our sovereign rights and we ...Keep on reading: President’s stand on sea row needs review – Carpio.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 15th, 2018

Hontiveros to DFA: Bare '50-100 Diplomatic Protests' vs. China

July 11, 2018. On the eve of the second-year anniversary of the country’s historic victory before the Permanent Court of Arbitration at the Hague on the West Philippine Sea, Akbayan Senator Risa Hontiveros filed a resolution calling on the Senate to conduct a “foreign policy audit” to review the Duterte… Source link link: Hontiveros to DFA: Bare "50-100 Diplomatic Protests" vs. China.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJul 12th, 2018

Palace: Phl not taking soft stance on China

The Palace denied it is going soft on China amid reports of a resumption of build-up over disputed portions of the South China Sea (SCS) that foreign ministers of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) have criticized. Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said the Philippines shares Asean leaders’ concern regarding China’s aggressive actions on what is said to be the world’s busiest waterways.The recently concluded Asean foreign and defense ministers in Singapore issued a statement that did not name China but said that “land reclamations and activities in the area . . . have eroded trust and confidence, increased tensions and may undermine peace, security and stability in the region.” The Asean ministers resolved to expedite the code of conduct (CoC) on how to negotiate with China regarding overlapping maritime claims.“Asean’s concern on the Chinese build-up is right because Asean, as a regional bloc, wants to adhere to discussions pertaining to the code of conduct,” Roque said.“We cannot be not joining the call because the Philippines is one of those concerned in this campaign,” he added.Roque also disputed views that Manila is not among those insistent in pressing Beijing to speed up the CoC drafting. “We are not being too soft (on China) but we have an established policy on that. Number one, of course, is we are one with Asean in recognizing that this is a concern for all Asean countries. Particularly that of the freedom of navigation in the West Philippine Sea,” Roque said.“Our common concern is peace security and stability in one of the world’s busiest sea lanes,” he added.During Manila’s hosting of the Asean last year, President Duterte did not cite the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) ruling that nullified Beijing’s sweeping claim over nearly the entire South China Sea.It was the Philippine government that contested China’s nine-dash-line claim before the Hague court. China, however, refuses to recognize it.Apart from the Philippines, other Asean countries also have overlapping claims at the South China Sea including Vietnam, Malaysia and Brunei.Reclamation to continueChina in its known mouthpiece Global Times said Beijing is concentrating on civil and not military construction on islands in the South China Sea but insisted that the Chinese “will expand land reclamation.”“Most of the construction on islands in the South China Sea were completed in 2015 and the pace then slowed. Civilian facility construction is the major focus of the South China Sea islands building and the portion of defense deployment is relatively small,” Global Times quoted Chen Xiangmiao, a research fellow at the National Institute for the South China Sea.The size of some South China Sea islands will be further expanded in future through more dredging in the South China Sea region, Chen said.The relationship between China and other Southeast Asian countries, such as the Philippines, has becalmed in recent years, providing a golden opportunity for China to upgrade these areas, he said.China and the Philippines are enjoying good terms as President Rodrigo Duterte maintains a friendly policy toward China, Chen said. “But there is still some domestic pressure that urges Duterte to take a tough stance on China and the South China Sea issue,” Chen said.Foreign media like to hype China’s construction in the South China Sea as they try to make excuses to prevent China’s activities in this region, Zhuang Guotu, head of Xiamen University’s Southeast Asian Studies Center, told the Global Times.“China has the right to build whatever it needs within its territory,” Zhuang said.China’s military deployment in the South China Sea region was “not for military expansion,” but to defend its security and interests, he said.Zhuang and Chen warned the US is the biggest threat to stability in the South China Sea.“The US, Australia, Japan and other allies will constantly provoke China over this issue and that will incite other neighboring South China Sea countries to do the same,” Zhuang said.China’s construction projects in the region covered about 290,000 square meters in 2017, including new facilities for underground storage, administrative buildings and large radar, according to a report released in December on the nanhai.haiwainet.cn website run by the National Marine Data and Information Service and People’s Daily Overseas edition. No foreign vessels at BenhamThe Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has not monitored any foreign vessels at the Philippine Rise, formerly known as Benham Rise, during its latest patrol in the area. Lt. Col. Isagani Nato, AFP-Northern Luzon Command (Nolcom) spokesman, said that based on the latest patrol conducted by Nolcom troops, there was no presence of foreign ships at Philippine Rise.“As of now, we don’t have a report that there is presence (of foreign vessels) in Benham Rise,” said Nato.Earlier, Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol announced that President Duterte has banned foreign ships at the Philippine Rise and ordered the military to patrol the area.The announcement came following an uproar from government critics after the Duterte administration allowed the Chinese to conduct scientific research at the Philippine Rise.Nato, however, said that Nolcom is yet to receive official order regarding the matter.But Nato maintained that with or without the latest directive, Nolcom has regularly conducted air and maritime patrols along Philippine Rise.Apart from Nolcom, the Air Force and the Philippine Navy, Nato said that the Philippine Coast Guard, the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) and the Philippine National Police-Maritime Group (PNP-MG) also conduct their own patrol in the area.He said the Nolcom uses air and naval assets of the Navy and the Air Force units under its jurisdiction.“We conduct our patrols regularly. It is a mandate of Nolcom forces so that is continuous with or without the directive from higher ups,” said Nato.According to Nato, Nolcom conducts three to four maritime and air patrol at Philippine Rise per month as part of the government efforts to secure the country’s maritime domain.ML ruling lauded, hitThe Supreme Court’s (SC) decision to uphold Mr. Duterte’s year-long martial law extension in Mindanao also drew mixed reactions.The High Court on Tuesday voted 10-5 junking militant groups’ petition and finding “sufficient factual basis” to extend martial law and suspend the privilege of wirt of habeas corpus in Mindanao until December 31, 2018.Roque welcomed the ruling saying that it affirms the need to continue protecting citizens from the threat of terrorist groups, primarily Islamic State (IS)-inspired fanatics.But for Left-leaning groups who petitioned the SC to lift martial law, the court decision opens up more crackdowns and human rights violations.The Palace official has insisted that human rights will be respected amid security operations.“The SC ruling underscores the unity of the whole government in its bid to defeat terrorism and prevent the spread in other parts of the country of DIWW and other like-minded local and foreign terrorist groups,” Roque said.“The majority of votes is a manifestation of confidence on law enforcement agencies that they shall, like they had been doing before, continue to protect our people, secure Mindanao, and pursue the bigger task of rehabilitation while upholding the rule of law, Human Rights, and International Humanitarian Law,” he added.Human rights watchdog Karapatan sees the contrary in the government’s motives, saying that the year-long military rule will boost attacks on the people.The continuous implementation of martial law in Mindanao will allow the unhampered massive rehabilitation in war-torn Marawi City and boost the security forces campaign to finish off the rebellion, the Department of National Defense (DND) said. In a statement, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said that the Supreme Court’s decision affirming the constitutionality of the one-year extension of martial law in Mindanao will definitely boost government efforts to rebuild Marawi City and address continuing rebellion.The defense chief welcomed the SC decision as a vote of confidence to the government security forces.“The DND – AFP is grateful for the trust and confidence of our public institutions and the support of the Filipino people,” said Lorenzana. Mario J. Mallari.....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJun 7th, 2018

Filipinos still trust United States despite Duterte’s tirades and foreign policy shift

The United States emerged as the most trusted country among Filipinos for the past two years despite President Rodrigo Duterte’s foreign policy shift towards China and tirades against longtime defense ally. Pulse Asia’s study revealed that 84 percent of Filipinos trust the country’s ally, an increase from the previous 79 percent received by the United States on […] The post Filipinos still trust United States despite Duterte’s tirades and foreign policy shift appeared first on Interaksyon......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsJan 15th, 2019

Menardo Guevarra: ‘MOU on oil exploration with China constitutional’

There is no need for the Senate to review the agreement forged by the Duterte administration with China on oil and gas development in the West Philippine Sea, the Department of Justice said yesterday. Source link link: Menardo Guevarra: ‘MOU on oil exploration with China constitutional’.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsDec 5th, 2018

Menardo Guevarra: ‘MOU on oil exploration with China constitutional’

There is no need for the Senate to review the agreement forged by the Duterte administration with China on oil and gas development in the West Philippine Sea, the Department of Justice said yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 5th, 2018

China expert stresses gains, need for balance in relations

Some observers on Tuesday defended President Rodrigo Duterte's China-friendly foreign policy and cautioned against Sinophobic "hysteria," citing improvements after years of diplomatic tensions arising from the maritime dispute in the South China Sea. Ateneo de Manila University Chinese Studies Program lecturer Lucio Pitlo III stressed the need to balance national security concerns with the economic benefits of more investments from China. He said it was "important to keep our safeguards" to assuage concerns, but cautioned against being too wary in approaching China. Balance "Becoming too overcautious, becoming too arbitrary in our application of national security concerns ......Keep on reading: China expert stresses gains, need for balance in relations.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 28th, 2018

Franklin Drilon seeks review of 29 Philippines-China deals

Saying the questionable Northrail and NBN-ZTE broadband projects are still fresh in the nation’s mind, Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon has joined his colleagues’ call for a review of the 29 deals the Philippines signed with China during the recent visit of Chinese President Xi Jinping.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 22nd, 2018

China’s Xi visits Philippines as Duterte pressed to take tougher line

MANILA—Chinese President Xi Jinping arrived in the Philippines for a state visit on Tuesday, aiming to advance strategic gains made under a Manila leadership that has favored Beijing in the hope of receiving billions of dollars of loans and investment. Xi’s visit comes two years after Philippine counterpart Rodrigo Duterte declared he was reorienting his foreign policy away […] The post China’s Xi visits Philippines as Duterte pressed to take tougher line appeared first on Interaksyon......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsNov 20th, 2018

Why does President Duterte have to choose between China and the US?

That would be going against his own declaration during his historic visit to Beijing – from hereon we will pursue an independent foreign policy that would be for the benefit of our country......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 17th, 2018

Under construction: How the Philippines’ projects with China are progressing

President Rodrigo Duterte has secured several loan agreements on different infrastructure initiatives with China two years ago, visited it more than any other country during his term and shifted foreign policy focus towards the Asian giant. The new chapter in the country’s relationship with one of the world’s most powerful economies, however, has not yet […] The post Under construction: How the Philippines’ projects with China are progressing appeared first on Interaksyon......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsOct 10th, 2018

China-led naval drills not an act of benevolence, says Alejano

The Philippines' participation in drills with the Chinese navy and Southeast Asian militaries is another pro-China policy under the Duterte administration, Rep. Gary Alejano (Magdalo) said Tuesday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 9th, 2018

Cayetano: What about Del Rosario s transparency on South China Sea?

Insisting that the Duterte administration has always been transparent on its foreign policy, Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano claimed that former President Benigno Aquino III was misinformed on the West Philippine Sea issue......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 31st, 2018

Erap reiterates support to Duterte’s policy with China

Former President and now Manila Mayor Joseph “Erap” Estrada has reiterated his support to the Duterte administration’s independent foreign policy stance and even pitched for closer ties with neighboring China. Erap reiterates support to Duterte’s policy with China Former President and now Manila Mayor Joseph “Erap” Estrada has reiterated his support to the Duterte administration’s… link: Erap reiterates support to Duterte’s policy with China.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJul 27th, 2018

Cayetano to critics: Sea row not about being confrontational

Justifying the Duterte administration's policy on China, the Philippines' top diplomat criticized the previous administration for "not producing" results......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 26th, 2018

Davao City has become 2nd seat of power in PH under Duterte

DAVAO CITY --- Barely two years into the presidency, President Rodrigo Duterte has not only brought Davao to the attention of the world, he has also transformed his home city into the country's second seat of power. It was here where the President had sought refuge in one of the most stressful days of his presidency and it was also here where he entertained his favorite guests and dignitaries; among them, Russia's top security official Nikolai Patrushev, and Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. If the President's foreign policy has been pivoting to China, his pivot to Davao has not only changed the city's landscape but also the way people perceive this once laid back city of the so...Keep on reading: Davao City has become 2nd seat of power in PH under Duterte.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 21st, 2018

Online petition urges Duterte, SC to reopen ‘Chiong sisters’ case

A netizen recently launched an online petition calling for the review and reopening of the case of the Chiong sisters, allegedly kidnapped, raped and one of them murdered in the year 1997......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 19th, 2018