Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




Dayan a no-show at House probe despite subpoena

MANILA, Philippines — Sen......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 6th, 2016

Jaybee Sebastian no-show at House probe into Bilibid drugs

Jaybee Sebastian no-show at House probe into Bilibid drugs.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 6th, 2016

Alvarez: OK to show De Lima's alleged sex tape in House probe

Alvarez: OK to show De Lima's alleged sex tape in House probe.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 28th, 2016

Diokno refutes pork barrel claim anew in 2017 budget - Inquirer.net

Diokno refutes pork barrel claim anew in 2017 budget - Inquirer.net.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsAug 22nd, 2016

Diokno refutes pork barrel claim anew in 2017 budget

Diokno refutes pork barrel claim anew in 2017 budget.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 22nd, 2016

Estrada orders probe of bones found in Quiapo

Manila Mayor Joseph E. Estrada yesterday ordered an in-depth investigation of the human skeletal remains discovered in an abandoned house at the Islamic Center in Quiapo, Manila last week......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 21st, 2017

Erap orders intensified probe into Quiapo 'skeleton house' - GMA News

Erap orders intensified probe into Quiapo 'skeleton house' - GMA News.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsJan 21st, 2017

House to review agreement

Parties to the memorandum of agreement for the P2.8-billion mass transit common terminal will have to show Congress how the riding public and the country will gain from the deal that will also benefit the two biggest Quezon City shopping malls that have competed intensely for the control of the commercial windfall of the infrastructure......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 19th, 2017

Maradona welcomed 'home' by Napoli fans for anniversary

NAPLES, Italy (AP) — Even 30 years later, Diego Maradona remains revered in Naples. When he walked on stage at Naples' opera house on Monday, he was greeted by a roar of applause and cheers from the audience. It was as if he was back playing at San Paolo Stadium across town. The Argentine great was the guest of honor at an event to celebrate Napoli's first Serie A title 30 years ago. 'I feel at home here, as I've always felt,' Maradona told the San Carlo theater crowd of 1,300 spectators, some of whom paid up to 330 euros ($350) for tickets. 'Some people have complained because the tickets cost 300 euros but we did that because when Pele organizes a show they sell tickets for 200 euros. And he's got to always come second,' Maradona joked. Napoli president Aurelio de Laurentiis confirmed that Maradona has a job offer once he settles his decades-long feud with Italy's tax collection agency. 'I'm thinking of a position as Napoli ambassador in the world,' De Laurentiis said, according to the ANSA news agency. Maradona got emotional when he talked about his parents. 'I wish my mother could see me now,' he said, then added: 'I want to tell kids: Don't take drugs. Don't shoot.' Maradona left Napoli in 1992 after testing positive for cocaine use. He led Napoli to its only two Serie A titles in 1987 and 1990, along with the 1987 Italian Cup and the 1989 UEFA Cup. Maradona concluded the show by addressing his once-neglected son, who was in the audience. 'After 30 years, I'm asking to be excused by son, Diego. I'll never leave you again,' Maradona said. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 16th, 2017

Vanity tax binawi ng solon

BINAWI ni Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Rodel Batocabe ang panukalang buwisan ang cosmetic products at beauty services. Ito aniya ang kanyang naging desisyon makaraan sabihin ni Budget Sec. Benjamin Diokno na may pera pa ang gobyerno kaya hindi na kailangan ng karagdagang buwis. Bukod dito, ang pag-urong niya sa panukalang vanity tax ay dahil sa ........»»

Category: filipinoSource:  hatawtabloidRelated NewsJan 16th, 2017

Match-fixing back in spotlight on eve of first Grand Slam

JUSTIN BERGMAN, Associated Press   For Rafael Nadal and the other stars of tennis, there's a familiar ring to the questions being raised as the first ball is about to be struck at the Australian Open. Recent match-fixing sanctions and a new case are bringing fresh scrutiny to the integrity of the sport a year after corruption allegations cast a pall over the first Grand Slam of the year. '(It's) obviously negative, always in the first month of the season starts to happen,' Nadal said at the season-opening Brisbane International. 'You get tired about this kind of stuff, but the most important thing is fight against these kinds of things.' The headlines started appearing early in the new year. On Jan. 5, police in Australia charged an 18-year-old player with a match-fixing offense at a lower-tier tournament last October in Traralgon, near Melbourne. Days later, another Australian player, Nick Lindahl, now retired but once ranked in the top 200, was handed a seven-year ban and $35,000 fine from the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) for offering to throw a match at a minor tournament in the city of Toowoomba in 2013. Lindahl had already been fined after a criminal trial. Two other Australian players received lesser punishments in connection with the incident. While Traralgon and Toowoomba are far removed from the glittering lights of Melbourne Park, the timing of the developments was troubling nonetheless. Last season began similarly beneath a cloud of suspicion after a report by BBC and Buzzfeed alleged that tennis authorities had suppressed evidence of match-fixing and failed to investigate possible cases of corruption. The reports went over old ground, but the timing and the headlines overshadowed the tournament. 'I haven't heard anything (about match-fixing) since last year's Australian Open,' German player Mischa Zverev told The Associated Press last week in Brisbane. 'I think it was funny timing. ... Like the day before the Oscars, they're going to bring something up to make somebody not win it, or win it.' Since then, tennis leaders have gone into overdrive to restore confidence in the sport. An independent panel was created to review the TIU, the internal body tasked with combating corruption, and authorities promised to implement all of its recommendations when it is completed this spring. The TIU also took separate steps to strengthen its monitoring and investigation efforts, develop new anti-corruption education programs for players, and improve the transparency of its operations. In an email statement to The AP, the agency said nine players and officials were sanctioned last year for match-fixing — the most for a single year since the unit was established in 2008. Several were banned for life, including a young South African player and four officials from Turkey and Uzbekistan. The unit also expanded its outreach efforts with betting operators and regulators, leading to increased reporting of suspicious wagers. In 2016, the TIU received 292 betting alerts — an 18 percent increase over the previous year. The vast majority of those came from the Challenger and Futures circuits on the men's tour, considered the most at-risk for match-fixing given the lower likelihood of detection and the smaller earnings of the players. However, the TIU said three alerts were generated at Grand Slam events, as well. The agency was quick to note, though, that an alert isn't necessarily proof of match-fixing. Of the more than 114,000 matches played last year on the professional tours, only 0.2 percent triggered a suspicious betting alert. 'Tennis was one of the first major sports to recognize the potential threat of betting-related corruption and do something about it,' the TIU said. 'It will be for the independent review panel to take a view on the conduct and effectiveness of the unit and to put forward recommendations to improve the current structure and approach.' Whatever the investigators recommend, the fact remains the TIU faces an uphill battle. Technology has shifted the gambling landscape in such a way, it's increasingly difficult for monitors to keep up. In tennis, wagers aren't just placed on who wins or loses; bets can be placed during matches in real time on everything from total points won in a game to whether a set goes to a tiebreak. 'We're talking individual player activities here,' said Hans Westerbeek, dean of the College of Sport and Exercise Science at Victoria University in Melbourne, Australia. 'It's much easier to get into a situation where you approach individual players to do things that can be, if done well, quite well hidden from it being suspicious.' He likens it to the ongoing battle against performance-enhancing drugs. 'You're always struggling to keep up with the innovations that a better-resourced front of gambling operators, legal or illegal, will have available to advance their technology.' Ryan Rodenberg, an associate professor of forensic sports law analytics at Florida State University, says this is one reason a more sophisticated approach is critically needed. He recommends an internal monitoring system that analyzes each match for suspicious activity in real time, rather than relying solely on betting alerts. 'A robust betting data-monitoring operation would have both in-house capabilities and a number of collaborative information sharing agreements with third parties such as sportsbooks, private monitoring firms or academics,' he said. 'Anything less is sub-optimal.' With a limited budget of just $3.23 million for 2017, however, there is only so much the TIU can do. As such, preventative measures such as education have become a priority. More than 25,000 players and officials have completed the TIU's online anti-corruption training program, and a new version will be launched that players will be required to complete every two years. 'Educating players who are up-and-coming and those who support those players is a very good, positive and necessary thing to do,' Westerbeek says. 'Because the root of the problem is ... people not really (understanding) they're engaging in criminal activity.' ___ AP Sports Writer John Pye contributed to this report. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 12th, 2017

Phl risks credit downgrade, infra cut sans tax reform

MANILA, Philippines – Economic Planning Secretary Ernesto Pernia and Budget Secretary Benjamin Diokno have warned of possible adverse consequences if Congres.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 11th, 2017

Economy: DBM confident of tax reform passage by first half of 2017

BUDGET Secretary Benjamin E. Diokno remains positive on the underlying revenue assumptions behind the 2018 budget, which will incorporate the results of reforms to the tax system, though delays raise the risk of some infrastructure projects going unfunded......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJan 11th, 2017

Promises to keep

WAS Budget Secretary Benjamin Diokno being pragmatic or cynical when he urged the public last week to differentiate between President Rodrigo Duterte and candidate Duterte, who made promises during the election campaign?.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 10th, 2017

DBM, nipagawas na sa sumbanan alang sa 2nd tranche pay hike sa mga kawani sa gobyerno

MANILA, January 10 (PIA)&''Gipagawas na sa Department of Budget and Management (DBM) niadtong Enero 5 ang National Budget Circular No. 568 ug ang Local Budget Circular No. 113 nga gilagdaan ni Kalihim Benjamin Diokno. Alang kini sa ikaduhang tranche sa dugang sweldo sa mga kawani sa gobyerno karong tuig. Kini tungod kay ipadayon pa sa [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  boholnewsdailyRelated NewsJan 10th, 2017

A decade older, Hughes all praises for 23-year-old Parks Jr.

Just like he has done throughout the 2016 Asean Basketball League, Ray Parks Jr. yet again proved last Sunday that he was the star of the show. Stuffing the stat sheet anew with 28 points, eight rebounds, and six assists, Parks Jr. lifted Alab Pilipinas back over .500. The Filipino-American impressed so much that he even had teammate 33-year-old James Hughes, a longtime veteran of basketball, gushing. “He’s a tough guy. I’ve seen a lot of guys throughout my career and he’s one of the tougher guys,” Hughes expressed. He then continued, “Not only is he talented, but he’s also smart. He knows the game at such a young age.” That young age, 23 to be exact, is also what the American reinforcement jokingly hoped to take away from his new teammate. “He’s really young. I wish I could steal some of his youth,” he quipped while chuckling. Still, even with Parks Jr. forming a new bond with Hughes and rekindling his relationship with also new import Sampson Carter, head coach Mac Cuan said it’s far from smooth sailing for Alab. “There’s a concern for us kasi we really can’t gauge kung nasaan kami sa liga kasi dalawa pa lang yung team na nalalaro namin,” he shared. The Filipinos have played five games in the tournament and have gone three-of-three against Kaohsiung and zero-for-two against Singapore. That means that defending champion Malaysia, strong-starting Hong Kong, and dangerous Saigon are yet to come in the schedule. Nonetheless, Cuan was nothing but glad that they already have three wins to show – considering they only held their first-ever practice with one week to go before the season. “Blessing din na we played Kaohsiung kasi nag-aadjust pa lang din sila. So kahit nag-aadjust pa lang kami, nakakuha na kami ng dalawang panalo,” he said. Even the defeats at the hands of the Slingers had a silver lining in the Alab mentor’s eyes. As he put it, “Yung two losses naman, just really mental lapses in the end. We were there in the game and that’s why I believe we can match up with everybody.” --- Follow this writer on Twitter, @riegogogo. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 9th, 2017

Ouster plot vs Duterte downplayed; House to probe 'LeniLeaks' - Manila Bulletin

Ouster plot vs Duterte downplayed; House to probe 'LeniLeaks' - Manila Bulletin.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsJan 9th, 2017

A decade older, Hughes all praises for 23-year-old Parks Jr.

Just like he has done throughout the 2016 Asean Basketball League, Ray Parks Jr. yet again proved last Sunday that he was the star of the show. Stuffing the stat sheet anew with 28 points, eight rebounds, and six assists, Parks Jr. lifted Alab Pilipinas back over .500. The Filipino-American impressed so much that he even had teammate 33-year-old James Hughes, a longtime veteran of basketball, gushing. “He’s a tough guy. I’ve seen a lot of guys throughout my career and he’s one of the tougher guys,” Hughes expressed. He then continued, “Not only is he talented, but he’s also smart. He knows the game at such a young age.” That young age, 23 to be exact, is also what the American reinforcement jokingly hoped to take away from his new teammate. “He’s really young. I wish I could steal some of his youth,” he quipped while chuckling. Still, even with Parks Jr. forming a new bond with Hughes and rekindling his relationship with also new import Sampson Carter, head coach Mac Cuan said it’s far from smooth sailing for Alab. “There’s a concern for us kasi we really can’t gauge kung nasaan kami sa liga kasi dalawa pa lang yung team na nalalaro namin,” he shared. The Filipinos have played five games in the tournament and have gone three-of-three against Kaohsiung and zero-for-two against Singapore. That means that defending champion Malaysia, strong-starting Hong Kong, and dangerous Saigon are yet to come in the schedule. Nonetheless, Cuan was nothing but glad that they already have three wins to show – considering they only held their first-ever practice with one week to go before the season. “Blessing din na we played Kaohsiung kasi nag-aadjust pa lang din sila. So kahit nag-aadjust pa lang kami, nakakuha na kami ng dalawang panalo,” he said. Even the defeats at the hands of the Slingers had a silver lining in the Alab mentor’s eyes. As he put it, “Yung two losses naman, just really mental lapses in the end. We were there in the game and that’s why I believe we can match up with everybody.” --- Follow this writer on Twitter, @riegogogo. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 9th, 2017

House to probe abuses vs Bukidnon farmers recruited in Hacienda Luisita

House to probe abuses vs Bukidnon farmers recruited in Hacienda Luisita.....»»

Category: newsSource:  davaotodayRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017

WHAT PORK? | House appropriations chief refutes Ping’s claims of pork in ‘17 budget

WHAT PORK? | House appropriations chief refutes Ping’s claims of pork in ‘17 budget.....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017