Advertisements


DICT on top of probe into hacking of Senate staff emails

MANILA, Philippines—A task force on cybersecurity will meet on Monday to probe the hacking of emails of opposition senators’ staff, a ranking official from t.....»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarOct 13th, 2017

Vladimir Putin denies he has compromising material on Donald Trump – The Guardian

Russian President Vladimir Putin has denied he had any compromising material about US President Donald Trump. “Well, this is just another load of nonsense,” Putin said on NBC News’ Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly, when asked whether he had any damaging information on the Republican president. The remarks were the latest in a series of denials from Moscow that have had little impact so far on a political crisis in the United States over potential links between Russia and Trump’s inner circle. The issue will be front and centre this week in Washington, where former FBI director James Comey is due to testify on whether Trump tried to get him to back off an investigation into alleged ties between Trump’s election campaign and Moscow. Comey, who was leading the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s probe into alleged Russian meddling in last year’s US presidential election, was fired by Trump last month, four years into his 10-year term. Putin also told NBC he had no relationship with Trump and had never met him, regardless of Trump’s previous travel to Russia as a businessman. Putin noted that executives from perhaps 100 American companies were currently in Russia. “Do you think we’re gathering compromising information on all of them right now or something?” Putin asked, before saying: “Have you all lost your senses?” Have you all lost your senses? Vladimir Putin Trump has offered contradictory accounts of his relationship with Putin over time but has also said the two never met. He has called an FBI investigation into alleged ties between his campaign and Russia a “witch hunt” designed to undermine the legitimacy of his 2016 election win. Trump has also disparaged a dossier of unsubstantiated allegations that purported to show Russian intelligence operatives had compromising information about him, but which he has described as a “hoax.” US intelligence agencies concluded in January that Moscow tried to tilt the election campaign in Trump’s favour, including by hacking into the emails of senior Democrats, a charge the Kremlin denies. “They have been misled,” Putin told NBC, in an interview NBC said was recorded on Friday. “And they aren’t analysing the information in its entirety. I haven’t seen, even once, any direct proof of Russian interference in the presidential election.” Trump has denied any collusion but the FBI and congressional probes into the Russia matter have dogged the early months of his presidency. Former CIA director John Brennan said last month he had noticed contacts between Trump’s campaign associates and Russia during the 2016 election and grew concerned Moscow had sought to lure Americans down “a treasonous path.” After Comey’s dismissal, news reports emerged that Trump asked Comey to end the probe into former national security adviser Michael Flynnduring a February meeting in the Oval Office, the day after Flynn was fired for misrepresenting his contacts with the Russian ambassador, Sergei Kislyak. Flynn has declined to testify to the US Senate Intelligence Committee about his Russian ties, invoking his constitutional right to avoid self-incrimination. Putin downplayed Flynn’s appearance with him at a December 2015 gala dinner in honor of the Russian television network Russia Today (RT), which US officials consider a state-run propaganda outlet. “I made my speech. Then we talked about some other stuff. And I got up and left. And then afterwards I was told, ‘You know there was an American gentleman, he was involved in some things. He used to be in the security services’,” Putin said. “That’s it. I didn’t even really talk to him. That’s the extent of my acquaintance with Mr Flynn,” he added. Reuters has reported that Flynn and Trump’s son-in-law and close adviser, Jared Kushner, discussed with Kislyak the idea of creating a back channel between Trump and Putin that could have bypassed diplomats and intelligence agencies. Putin said he was unaware of any such discussion and criticized NBC for asking about contacts between the ambassador and the Trump administration. “You created a sensation out of nothing. And out of this sensation, you turned it into a weapon of war against the current president,” Putin said. … today we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading the Guardian than ever but advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. And unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So we think it’s fair to ask people who visit us often for their help. The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too. If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure.( “I made my speech. Then we talked about some other stuff. And I got up and left. And then afterwards I was told, ‘You know there was an American gentleman, he was involved in some things. He used to be in the security services’,” Putin said. “That’s it. I didn’t even really talk to him. That’s the extent of my acquaintance with Mr Flynn,” he added. Reuters has reported that Flynn and Trump’s son-in-law and close adviser, Jared Kushner, discussed with Kislyak the idea of creating a back channel between Trump and Putin that could have bypassed diplomats and intelligence agencies. Putin said [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsJun 5th, 2017

Cybersecurity firm: US Senate in Russian hackers’ crosshairs

PARIS --- The same Russian government-aligned hackers who penetrated the Democratic Party have spent the past few months laying the groundwork for an espionage campaign against the U.S. Senate, a cybersecurity firm said in a report Friday. The revelation suggests the group often nicknamed Fancy Bear, whose hacking campaign scrambled the 2016 U.S. electoral contest, is still busy trying to gather the emails of America's political elite. "They're still very active --- in making preparations at least --- to influence public opinion again," said Feike Hacquebord, a security researcher at Trend Micro Inc. who authoered the report. "They are looking for information they might leak la...Keep on reading: Cybersecurity firm: US Senate in Russian hackers’ crosshairs.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 13th, 2018

Trump critics

WASHINGTON -- A senior FBI agent removed from special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia probe this year referred to Donald Trump before his election as an “idiot,” in emails turned over to the Senate, US media reported. Peter Strzok, a senior counterintelligence investigator, also suggested that the Republican Party “needs to….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsDec 13th, 2017

Trillanes seeks separate Senate probe on Customs officials, staff on Lacson’s payoff list

Trillanes seeks separate Senate probe on Customs officials, staff on Lacson’s payoff list.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsAug 27th, 2017

New EPA head Scott Pruitt’s emails indicate close ties to oil and gas producers – ABC News

More than 7,000 pages of emails from Environmental Protection Agency head Scott Pruitt indicate a cozy relationship with oil and gas producers, fossil fuel companies, electric companies, as well as political groups tied to the Koch Brothers during his time as Oklahoma Attorney General. The emails &'8212; made public Wednesday by an Oklahoma judge in response to a lawsuit by liberal watchdog group the Center for Media and Democracy &'8212; indicate coordination between Pruitt and these Koch-backed groups with the goal of undermining the Obama administration's efforts to help curb carbon emissions and prevent climate change. Pruitt was narrowly confirmed by the U.S. Senate (52-46) to be the EPA's administrator Friday after a contentious confirmation process while facing protests from Democrats and environmental groups not only because of his ties to energy companies, but because as Oklahoma’s attorney general he sued the EPA 14 times. Some emails show that companies like Devon Energy in 2013 provided Pruitt's office with draft letters to send to government regulators in an attempt to block those regulations. Some of this was publicly known because some of the emails were previously released to the New York Times in 2014. “Please find attached a short white paper with some talking points that you might find useful to cut and paste when encouraging States to file comments on the SSM rule,” wrote a lobbyist at Hunton &'38; Williams, a law firm that represents major utility companies. The SSM rule relates to industrial emissions. Democrats attempted to hold off on Pruitt’s confirmation until these emails were released, but they were unsuccessful. “Thank you to your respective bosses and all they are doing to push back against President Obama’s EPA and its axis with liberal environmental groups to increase energy costs for Oklahomans and American families across the states,” reads another email sent to Pruitt from an executive at the Koch-backed Americans for Prosperity, a conservative political advocacy group. “You both work for true champions of freedom and liberty!” The emails also show how Pruitt’s office appeared to work with these companies to draft these letters for Pruitt to sign to try and prevent new regulations. “Any suggestions?” a deputy solicitor general in Pruitt’s office wrote in May 2013 to an executive at Devon Energy, an oil and gas production company. The email to the executive, Bill Whitsitt, included a draft Pruitt’s office appeared to be planning to send to the EPA regarding proposed emissions regulations. Whitsitt replied with what looks like proposed changes: “Please note that you could use just the red changes, or both red and blue (the latter being some further improvements from one of our experts) or none.” The deputy solicitor general replied the next day telling Whitsitt he had sent the letter, writing “Thanks for all your help on this.” In another email in January 2013, Pruitt’s chief of staff at the time gushed to Whitsitt: “You are so amazingly helpful!!! Thank you so much!!!” &'8220;Our engagement with Scott Pruitt as Attorney General of Oklahoma is consistent – and proportionate – with our commitment to engage in conversations with policymakers on a broad range of matters that promote jobs, economic growth and a robust domestic energy sector,&'8221; a spokesperson for Devon Energy told ABC News. &'8220;In some cases, we serve as a resource with useful information and expertise for decision-makers &' It would be indefensible for us to not be engaged in these important issues.&'8221; Lincoln Ferguson, the press secretary for the Oklahoma Attorney General’s office released a statement writing that their office has &'8220;complied with a Court’s order regarding a January 2015 Open Records Act request.” &'8220;In fact, the Office went above and beyond what is required under the Open Records Act and produced thousands of additional documents that, but for the Court’s order, would typically be considered records outside the scope of the Act,” Ferguson said. &'8220;This broad disclosure should provide affirmation that, despite politically motivated allegations, the Office of Attorney General remains fully committed to the letter and spirit of the Open Records Act.” Americans for Prosperity declined comment. “The newly released emails reveal a close and friendly relationship between Scott Pruitt’s office and the fossil fuel industry,” Nick Surgey, research director at the Center for Media and Democracy, wrote in an email Wednesday.( SHUSHANNAH WALSHE,RYAN STRUYK) &'160; &'160; 35&'160;total views, 35&'160;views today.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsFeb 23rd, 2017

Senate probe on ‘Comeleak’ set

MANILA, Philippines - The Senate committee on electoral reforms is set to conduct an inquiry into the hacking of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) databa.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 17th, 2017

Senators seek probe into Navy frigate controversy

MANILA, Philippines — The Senate minority bloc has called for an inquiry into the controversial purchase of two frigates for the Philippine Navy and the over.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated News8 hr. 46 min. ago

Palace welcomes probe into frigate weapons deal

MALACAÑANG yesterday welcomed the call in the Senate to look into the controversial P15.7-billion frigate acquisition project of the Philippine Navy. Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. believed that the planned Senate investigation would help determine the alleged anomalies committed by the Aquino administration, which he earlier claimed had selected the….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated News15 hr. 46 min. ago

If invited, Bong Go says he ll attend Senate probe on frigate deal

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – Special Assistant to the President Bong Go said he would attend the Senate probe on the P15.5-billion frigate deal if he receives an invitation. "Kung sakaling ipatawag man ako ng Senado hinggil sa (If ever I'm called to the Senate on the) frigate issue, anywhere, ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 19th, 2018

Go on Senate probe, NBI on Rappler case, Pope Francis weds couple on papal plane | Evening wRap

Today on Rappler: Special Assistant to the President Bong Go says he will attend the Senate probe on the P15.5-billion frigate deal if he receives an invitation.  The National Bureau of Investigation said Rappler could still be liable for cybercrime even if the law is not retroactive.  Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez threatens to give 'zero budget' to the provinces ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 19th, 2018

Bong Go willing to attend Senate probe on PH Navy weapons program

        Special Assistant to the President Christopher "Bong" Go is willing to attend the possibleSenate investigation into the P15.7-billion frigates acquisition project of the Philippine Navy if, in case, he would be invited.   "Oo, dadalo ako (Yes, I will attend)," Go said in a text message to reporters. In another statement he sent to the media, Go said he was willing to face his accusers "anywhere, anytime."   "Kung sakaling ipatawag man ako ng Senado hinggil sa frigate issue. Anywhere, anytime I'm willing to face the accusers," he said.   He reiterated that the allegations that he meddled on the Navy's selectio...Keep on reading: Bong Go willing to attend Senate probe on PH Navy weapons program.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 19th, 2018

Senate to probe P15.5-B PH warships project - Rappler

Senate to probe P15.5-B PH warships project - Rappler.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsJan 19th, 2018

Minority senators seek probe into Navy frigate deal

MANILA, Philippines — Members of the Senate minority bloc have filed a resolution calling for an investigation into the controversial multibillion-peso friga.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 19th, 2018

Senate to probe P15.5-B PH warships project

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – The Senate is set to investigate the P15.5-billion Philippine warships deal, amid allegations that Special Assistant to the President Bong Go  intervened  in the project. The minority bloc filed Senate Resolution 584 on January 16, directing the Senate committee on national defense and security and the ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 19th, 2018

Zubiri calls for probe vs illegal profiteers of TRAIN Law

Senator Juan Miguel Zubiri said he is poised to file a resolution asking to conduct an inquiry into the reported illegal price increase and profiteering made by some unscrupulous businesses after the Tax Reform Acceleration and Inclusion (Train) Law took effect last Jan. 1.   In a press briefing on Thursday, Zubiri, who chairs the Senate trade, commerce and entrepreneurship panel, said he was alarmed over the reported price increases even without the advise of the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR), Department of Finance (DOF), and the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI).   "Naalarma nga ako na nagkaroon ng price increases na wala pang utos ang BIR, DOF, wala p...Keep on reading: Zubiri calls for probe vs illegal profiteers of TRAIN Law.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 18th, 2018

NBI to probe Rappler, Malacanang defends Go, Senate rejects joint voting on Cha-Cha | Evening wRap

Today on Rappler: Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II authorizes the National Bureau of Investigation to investigate Rappler for 'possible violation of the Constitution and laws.'  Malacañang comes to the defense of Special Assistant to the President Bong Go in response to allegations he intervened in a government project for the construction of ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 17th, 2018

Senate to probe PCSO controversies

Senate to probe PCSO controversies.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  pepRelated NewsJan 12th, 2018

Gatchalian: Probe Malampaya fund disbursements

Insisting on the need to hold answerable the alleged culprit behind the anomalous disbursements of Malampaya funds under the past two administrations, Senator Sherwin Gatchalian said he is calling for a full-scale investigation into billions of pesos worth of disbursement. In Senate Resolution No. 579, Gatchalian said it is important….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsJan 10th, 2018

Probe into deadly fire at U.S. firm’s Philippines offices focuses on possible safety lapses

A government investigator into a blaze that led to the deaths of 37 staff at the southern Philippines offices of an American market research firm says there are indications of fire safety lapses that.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJan 1st, 2018

Probe into deadly fire at US firm’s Philippines offices focuses on possible safety lapses

A government investigator into a blaze that led to the deaths of 37 staff at the southern Philippines offices of an American market research firm says there are indications of fire safety lapses that may have contributed to the tragedy......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsDec 31st, 2017