Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




Financial case a cloud over unprecedented City titles feat

By Rob Harris, Associated Press LONDON (AP) — After the FA Cup was raised aloft by Manchester City's players, the Wembley Stadium pyrotechnics didn't cast a cloud over the team's unprecedented sweep of English soccer's men's trophies. The only shadow came from the investigations by soccer authorities into leaked documents that allegedly show the game's costliest squad was assembled thanks to mechanisms employed to try to circumvent spending regulations. A 6-0 rout of Watford on Saturday, delivered by players who cost more than $200 million in transfer fees, ensured the FA Cup joined the Premier League trophy, League Cup and Community Shield already in City's possession. The only piece of silverware missing is from the competition City could be banned from next season: the Champions League. City arrived at Wembley reeling from UEFA investigators last week sending the governing body's judges a file into how the Abu Dhabi-owned club sought to allegedly dupe the governing body to comply with Financial Fair Play. And the team left the national stadium with manager Pep Guardiola seething to face questions about the cloud over City's feat. "We are not guilty (until) proven," Guardiola said. "Would I say this club makes a step forward from the big investment from Sheikh Mansour? Definitely. Can you do that without top players? No way. That money helps to buy the incredible players we have? Yes. "After that we wait. If we are punished, we will accept it. But I listen to my chairman and my CEO, they give me the arguments for why they are under investigation and I trust them. When they tell me we were fair, we did it absolutely following the rules, I'm sorry, I believe them. If the opponents and contenders believe that's it's just the money ... it is OK they will be a problem." Guardiola is the only City figure publicly responding to questions about the FFP investigation, despite not being a director. Leaving Wembley, City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak only gave a thumb's up when asked about the club's potential Champions League ban. Leaks of internal correspondence published by German outlet Der Spiegel last year showed how City used companies linked to the Abu Dhabi ownership to boost revenue in an attempt to curb losses and comply with UEFA regulations. City hasn't disputed the authenticity of the documents. The Football Leaks group also published details showing how Roberto Mancini, who managed City from 2009 to 2013, received more pay from a team Sheikh Mansour owns in Abu Dhabi to work as a consultant than from the Manchester club. Mancini was the last City manager to win the FA Cup in 2012. City hasn't responded to questions sent by The Associated Press in November asking if Guardiola had any similar arrangements to Mancini, and the manager was infuriated to be asked Saturday if he received any payments from Abu Dhabi. "Do you know the question you are asking me — if I receive money from another situation today?" Guardiola said. "Do you think I deserve to make this kind of question ... the day I won the treble, if I received money from another situations?" Guardiola is yet to provide an answer. City did not respond to a follow-up text message on the issue......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMay 19th, 2019

Return of Marawi residents to ‘Ground Zero’ delayed some more

MARAWI CITY (MindaNews / 15 Aug) – Residents of the 24 barangays in the 250-hectare “Ground Zero,” the former battleground between government forces and the Maute Group in 2017, cannot yet return to their villages to repair or rebuild their homes by the first week of September as promised by government officials. Housing Secretary Eduardo […].....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 15th, 2019

Kidapawan broadcaster slay, ‘case cleared’ na

Kidapawan City – Kinonsiderang ‘case cleared’ ng Special Investigation Task Group ang pagpatay sa brodkaster ng radyo na naganap noong July 10. Read: PTFOMS, kumilos na rin sa pagkamatay ng broadcaster sa KidapawanRead: NBI, task group tututok sa Kidapawan broadcaster slay Ito ay pahayag ng isang opsiyal ng Philippine National Police matapos na maisampa ang […] The post Kidapawan broadcaster slay, ‘case cleared’ na appeared first on REMATE ONLINE......»»

Category: newsSource:  remateRelated NewsAug 1st, 2019

Duterte criticized for shutting down PCSO lotteries

ZAMBOANGA CITY – Many poor residents here have assailed and strongly criticized President Duterte for closing down all government-run lotteries […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsJul 27th, 2019

Residents hit substandard DPWH project in Olongapo

A group of residents of this city criticized the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) for building a “substandard” slope protection wall along the river in Barangay West Bajac-Bajac......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 22nd, 2019

Zamboangueños told to help in cleanliness campaign

MAYOR BENG CLIMACO has appealed to residents to help the local government in the campaign to keep Zamboanga City clean […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsJul 20th, 2019

Davide: WT may sue province for stopping resource center project

CEBU CITY, Philippines — WT Construction Inc. (WTCI) the contractor of the proposed P1.3-billion Capitol Resource Center, is not obliged to backfill the now excavated site of the cancelled project. Instead, the firm may file a case against the Cebu provincial government for ordering for the stoppage of the project despite a standing contract with […] The post Davide: WT may sue province for stopping resource center project appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 17th, 2019

Summer League winds down, and now, maybe, some NBA rest

By Tim Reynolds, Associated Press They'll hand out T-shirts to the Summer League winners following the championship game between Memphis and Minnesota in Las Vegas on Monday night (Tuesday, PHL time), and then things will finally slow down a bit in the NBA. Maybe. And probably not for long. It's been a hectic month since Toronto won the NBA championship and the so-called offseason commenced. Already this summer, 18 current and former All-Stars have changed franchises, and that number will rise to 19 if Vince Carter finds a new home for his final season. Recent NBA Finals MVPs Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant and Andre Iguodala all were among those on the move. And another three past finals MVPs — Dwyane Wade, Dirk Nowitzki and Tony Parker — all retired. So when next season begins, very little will look the same. "I think there's going to be a lot of parity," Brooklyn coach Kenny Atkinson said. "That's my gut." NBA Commissioner Adam Silver expected this summer to be loaded with player movement, and wasn't complaining about so many big names — Durant, Leonard, Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, Anthony Davis, Paul George, Kyrie Irving, Al Horford, Jimmy Butler and many more — needing to file change-of-address cards. "At the end of the day, it's positive for the league," Silver said. "I will say, though, I'm mindful of this notion of balance of power, and I think it applies in many different ways. An appropriate balance of power between the teams and the players ... at the end of the day, you want to make sure you have a league where every team is in a position to compete." There were some clear winners in free agency: Brooklyn (who got Durant and Irving), the Los Angeles Clippers (who got George and Leonard) and the Los Angeles Lakers (who got Davis) were among them. It could be argued that the Oklahoma City Thunder won as well — no, they won't be as good this season as they were this past season after trading George and Westbrook, but general manager Sam Presti has enough draft picks now to enjoy flexibility for years. The losers are clear as well: Toronto lost Leonard and Danny Green and Golden State lost Durant, so last season's finalists certainly aren't favorites to be this season's finalists. It's also easy to say that New York lost after coming up empty on the big-name free agents, but the Knicks got plenty of good players on deals that ensure the team will have money again next summer. A lookahead at what's coming, and some notes on what's gone down: SO NOW WHAT? Any NBA withdrawal will really only last about three weeks, until roughly three dozen players return to Las Vegas for USA Basketball's training camp leading up to the FIBA World Cup in China that starts on Aug. 31. San Antonio's Gregg Popovich is coaching the Americans, assisted by Golden State's Steve Kerr, Atlanta's Lloyd Pearce and Villanova's Jay Wright. Zion Williamson, knee permitting, may take part in camp as one of the young players brought in to help the more-established pros get ready. If Williamson impresses, he may get a shot at joining the varsity club. Also, this season's NBA schedule is likely to come around the second week of August, if recent years are any indicator. WHO'S LEFT? Plenty of free agents remain unsigned, and that'll still be the case even in September as training camps get ready to open. It's still hard to see the Thunder keeping Paul, acquired in the Westbrook trade to Houston, so expect at least one more blockbuster trade before too long. Or can a player who is owed $121 million over the next three seasons be bought out? Stay tuned. Carter wants to come back for a 22nd NBA season, which would be a league record. If he gets into a game after Jan. 1, he'll also become the first NBA player to appear in four different decades. Jamal Crawford remains out there as well, and contenders should be calling him. LOADED WEST Philadelphia, Boston, Brooklyn, Indiana and Miami all likely got better in the East. Milwaukee kept most of its team that won an NBA-best 60 games. The East will be good. The West might be bloody. The Clippers, the Lakers, Houston, Golden State, Denver, Utah, Portland and San Antonio could end up as the eight playoff teams in the Western Conference. It's plausible; they're probably the most realistic eight picks right now. But at least four of those teams — most of them with superstar duos that are all the rage now — won't be in the second round of next season's playoffs. LONGEVITY AWARD For now, Golden State's Stephen Curry is the longest-tenured player under contract to one team. He's entering his 11th season with the Warriors. With Nowitzki (21 seasons with Dallas) retired, Mike Conley (12 seasons with Memphis) traded to Utah and Westbrook (11 seasons with Oklahoma City) traded to Houston, no current player has had a longer uninterrupted run with one team than Curry. But if Udonis Haslem re-signs with Miami, it'll be his 17th season with the Heat. THE NUMBERS Including the $196 million extension for Portland's Damian Lillard, a $170 million extension for Denver's Jamal Murray and another in-the-works $170 million extension for Philadelphia's Ben Simmons, NBA teams have committed to spend roughly $4 billion in new deals that were struck in the last three weeks alone. And that's with 100 more signings to come, at least. That $4 billion figure is twice what the total payroll was a decade ago for every team in the league, combined......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJul 15th, 2019

Sayyafs raid Basilan army post despite ongoing military ops

ZAMBOANGA CITY – Despite continued military operations against the pro-ISIS group Abu Sayyaf in the restive southern province of Basilan, […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsJul 15th, 2019

Fisherfolk group to file impeachment complaint vs Duterte

MANILA, Philippines – A fisherfolk group on Friday, July 5 vowed to file an impeachment case against President Rodrigo Duterte for allowing China to fish in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) in the West Philippine Sea. Staging a protest in Mendiola, Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (Pamalakaya) said ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 6th, 2019

Fishers group vows to file impeachment case vs Duterte

DESPITE President Rodrigo R. Duterte’s threat to jail anyone who files an impeachment case against him, fishermen’s group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (Pamalakaya) on Friday vowed to pursue his impeachment for “treason and violating the Constitution” for allowing Chinese nationals to exploit marine resources in the country’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ)......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJul 5th, 2019

Buoyed by dynamic growth: HUAWEI eyes continued expansion

“We will not stop. We will continue to provide Filipino consumers with innovations and products that they deserve,” George Li, country manager of HUAWEI Consumer Business Group Philippines, confidently stated during the launch of the company’s new entry-level offering, the HUAWEI Y9 Prime 2019, at Grand Hyatt Manila in Taguig City. Mr. Li delivered a […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJul 3rd, 2019

GenSan forms TWG for Kapa members

GENERAL SANTOS CITY (MindaNews/27 June) — The city government has created a technical working group (TWG) to assist residents affected by the national government’s closure of the alleged illegal investment operations of controversial religious group Kapa Community Ministry International Inc. City Mayor Ronnel Rivera said he has tasked the TWG to look into the plight […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsJun 27th, 2019

Barangay Tisa mulls case against La Paloma Subdivision residents

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Tisa Barangay Captain Philip Zafra, four days before his assumption as councilor of Cebu City, faces charges of misconduct and serious dishonesty filed by the residents of a subdivision in his barangay at the Office of the Visayas Ombudsman for a disputed gym within the premises of the La Paloma Subdivision. […] The post Barangay Tisa mulls case against La Paloma Subdivision residents appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 27th, 2019

Zambo mayor threatens to file charges vs. contractor of collapsed covered court

ZAMBOANGA CITY – Local Mayor Beng Climaco has threatened to file charges against the contractor of a covered court at […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsJun 24th, 2019

Sinas: No special task group to investigate Ramirez’s death

CEBU CITY, Philippines —The Police Regional Office in Central Visayas (PRO-7) will not form a Special Investigation Task Group (SITG) on the case involving the death of former Medellin mayor Ricardo “Ricky” Ramirez. This was revealed by Brigadier General Debold Sinas, director of PRO-7, who added that he had already directed the chief of Medellin […] The post Sinas: No special task group to investigate Ramirez’s death appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 24th, 2019

Sandigan junks another graft rap vs Enrico Echiverri

The Sandiganbayan has dismissed another graft case against former Caloocan City mayor Enrico Echiverri in connection with infrastructure and drainage improvement projects during his term......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 23rd, 2019

Group to sue Manila Water over supply interruption

Party-list group Bayan Muna will file a second case against Manila Water over long hours of water supply interruptions its millions of customers are experiencing in the metropolis......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 20th, 2019

BI to deport suspected Pakistani suicide bomber

  The Bureau of Immigration (BI) announced yesterday the arrest of a suspected Pakistani suicide bomber and member of the Dawlah Islamiya terrorist group. Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente said Waqar Ahmad, 36, was nabbed in Zamboanga City last Tuesday by joint operatives from the BI mindanao intelligence task group (MITG) and the Philippine National Police. Morente […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJun 19th, 2019

Elenita Binay acquitted in P72-M office fixtures graft case

MANILA, Philippines – The anti-graft court Sandiganbayan acquitted former Makati mayor Elenita Binay in her P72 million graft case involving the purchase of alleged overpriced city hall furniture in 1999. “The Demurrer to Evidence filed by the accused Elenita S. Binay is GRANTED. Accordingly, the instant case against ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 15th, 2019