Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




‘I think it was Russia’ – CNN News

President-elect Donald Trump said for the first time Wednesday he believes Russia was responsible for hacking ahead of the election but contemptuously rejected allegations that Moscow mounted a campaign to compromise him. In his first news conference since winning the election, a combative Trump made clear he will not mute his style when he is inaugurated in nine days. He lashed out at media and political foes alike in a bravura performance. The Trump Tower press conference confirmed the President-elect's deep desire to quickly assert power once he's sworn in. He insisted on moving speedily &'8212; too speedily for some Republicans in Congress &'8212; to replace Obamacare. He also pledged swift action on building a wall along the border with Mexico and nominating a new Supreme Court justice. But it's also clear Trump will take office amid persistent questions about his relationship with Russia. While Trump was at the podium, his nominee to become secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, faced tough questions on Capitol Hill about whether the incoming administration will view Russia with sufficient skepticism. At the news conference, Trump finally conceded he believes Russian President Vladimir Putin's intelligence agencies were behind hacks on Democratic computers ahead of the election but argued that wouldn't happen again. &'8220;I think it was Russia,&'8221; Trump said. Putin &'8220;should not be doing it. He won't be doing it. Russia will have much greater respect for our country when I am leading it than when other people have led it.&'8221; Trump, who has vowed to improve relations with Russia despite some Republican opposition, said he did not know if he would get along with Putin and noted it's possible he won't. But he could not resist a swipe at his defeated Democratic election rival, Hillary Clinton. &'8220;Do you honestly believe Hillary would be tougher on Putin than me?&'8221; he asked. He added that Russia is not the only nation that hacks US targets and accused Democrats of not having sufficient cybersecurity programs. The news conference opened with the incoming White House press secretary, Sean Spicer, slamming a &'8220;political witch hunt&'8221; following reports that Russian operatives claim to have compromising personal and financial information about Trump. Vice President-elect Mike Pence also criticized the media before introducing Trump, who kept up his criticism of US intelligence. &'8220;I must say that I want to thank a lot of the news organizations here today because they looked at that nonsense that was released by maybe the intelligence agencies,&'8221; Trump said. He said any such move by the agencies would be a &'8220;tremendous blot on their record.&'8221; &'8220;A thing like that should never have been written, it should never have been had and it certainly should have never been released,&'8221; Trump said. The news conference follows exclusive reporting by CNN on Tuesday that classified documents presented last week to President Barack Obama and Trump included the allegations about Russia. The allegations were presented in a two-page synopsis that was appended to a report on Russian interference in the 2016 election and drew in part from memos compiled by a former British intelligence operative, whose past work US intelligence officials consider credible. Intel chiefs presented Trump with claims of Russian efforts to compromise him 01:38 The FBI is investigating the credibility and accuracy of these allegations, which are based primarily on information from Russian sources, but has not confirmed many essential details in the memos about Trump. The news conference, delayed from December, was scheduled for Trump to outline how he will address questions about possible conflicts-of-interest related to his vast business empire. Trump appeared beside a large pile of files he claimed were pertinent to the companies that are going to be placed in a trust to be run by his sons. He reiterated that he doesn't plan to release his tax returns, saying they are under audit and don't include relevant information After taking a handful of questions, Trump turned the event over to Sheri Dillon, an attorney who was on hand to discuss Trump's business interests. She said Trump planned to put in place a structure that will &'8220;completely isolate him from the management of the company.&'8221; &'8220;He further instructed that we build in protections that will assure the American people that the decisions that he makes and the actions he takes as President are for their benefit and not to support his financial interests,&'8221; she said. Trump will place all his financial and business assets in a trust, Dillon said. The Trump Organization, meanwhile, will not enter into any new deals abroad and all domestic deals will be subject to a heavy vetting process. The firm will also appoint a new ethics officer, she said. The President-elect has also terminated a number of deals set to close shortly, a step that had cost him millions of dollars, she said. Dillon argued that the decision had been made not to put all Trump's assets in a blind trust or to divest of all his assets because it would be impractical. She also said that Trump should not be forced to destroy the business that he had built up. &'8220;President Trump can't unknow he owns Trump Tower,&'8221; Dillon said, explaining why a blind trust would not be a workable solution to addressing conflicts of interest issues while he is President. Dillon said Trump would take other actions to avoid the appearance of a conflict over the Emoluments Clause [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsJan 12th, 2017

Cesar Montano sworn in as Tourism Promotions Board head

MANILA, Philippines — Actor Cesar Montano is officially the new chief operating officer of the Tourism Promotions Board of the Tourism department after he wa.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 20th, 2016

Retiradong intel officer ng US Air Force timbog sa droga

ARESTADO ang isang American national, nagpakilalang siya ay retiradong intelligence officer ng United States Air Force, makaraan makompiskahan ng party drugs nitong Lunes sa Taguig City. Kinilala ng mga awtoridad ang suspek na si Raul Antonio Cisneros, na.....»»

Category: filipinoSource:  hatawtabloidRelated NewsSep 14th, 2016

New San Juan police chief sworn in

Superintendent Jose Ogbac took his post as officer-in-charge of the San Juan City police on Tuesday, replacing Senior Supt. Victor Arevalo. National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) director Chief Supt. Oscar Albayalde said Arevalo vacated his post be.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsSep 13th, 2016

Matteo Guidicelli excited to play PNP officer under ‘Bato’

When Matteo Guidicelli(@mateoguidicelli) posted a photo on Instagram on Wednesday, his followers asked what could the hashtags 'acting 'shooting 'film meant. He was wearing a PNP Special Force uniform and reading a script.He followed it up with a second p.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsSep 11th, 2016

Dela Rosa resignation call backed

House Speaker Pantaleon D. Alvarez has reiterated his call for the resignation of Philippine National Police chief Director General Roland “Bato” M. de La Rosa, saying that the police organization needs a new leader who could command utmost respect from everybody in the force......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 21st, 2017

Mattis sworn in as US defense chief

Mattis sworn in as US defense chief.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 21st, 2017

SAF-44

THERE is never a wrong time to focus on and doing what is right. To prompt, and if need be, reprimand the service of justice when grinding slow, and refresh the public minds of open wounds impressed with much frustration and pain. The families of the Special Action Force (SAF) 44 in the back-rooms waiting, their voices fading from the limelight, hope virtually denied?.....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 21st, 2017

Trump sworn in as U.S. President

Trump sworn in as U.S. President.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  pepRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017

Hawaii bill compels mediation for Zuckerberg-type land deals

HONOLULU — A Hawaii lawmaker said yesterday he plans to introduce legislation that could force Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg into mediation before he is allow.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017

Duterte told to stay away from Trump

Left-wing and Muslim activists yesterday urged President Duterte in a noisy protest to keep his promise of charting a foreign policy independent of America by staying away from Donald Trump after he is sworn in as president......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017

Rody won’t tolerate abuses by cops

MANILA, Philippines - With President Duterte angered by the kidnap-slay of Korean executive Jee Ick-joo, Malacañang vowed to slap the full force of the law o.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017

Ex-military officer drowns

MANILA, Philippines - A retired general who once led the campaign against Abu Sayyaf bandits in Sulu and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front in Maguindanao dro.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017

Trump takes charge: Sworn in as 45th US president

WASHINGTON — Donald Trump was sworn in as the 45th president of the United States Friday, taking the helm of a deeply divided nation and putting Republicans.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017

Trump sworn in as US president

Trump sworn in as US president.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017

A tournament without Djokovic to hit home in Australia

DENNIS PASSA, AP Sports Writer br /> MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — The stark reality of an Australian Open third round without Novak Djokovic — for the first time in 11 years — hits home on Saturday when the remaining players in his half of the draw, Rafael Nadal and Milos Raonic among them, attempt to advance to the second week of the tournament. Djokovic was beaten on Thursday in five sets by wild-card entry Denis Istomin, the earliest that the Serbian star has left Melbourne Park in singles since his first appearance here in 2006 when he was beaten by American Paul Goldstein in the first round. 'What Novak did here is just amazing, six victories here, six titles ... so it is not possible to be every time in that situation, no?' Nadal said after his second-round win. 'So then today was probably an accident, that's all. We are athletes. We know when we are going on court we can lose and we can win. It probably was a combination that Denis played a great match and Novak didn't play his best. When this combination happens, then you are in trouble. Everything can happen. And (it) happened.' Istomin, meanwhile, plays on. He's up against 30th-ranked Pablo Carreno Busta on Show Court 2 on Friday. Here's a look at some of the key matchups Saturday: ___ RAFA'S TOUGH ASSIGNMENT: Nadal plays 19-year-old Alexander Zverev in an afternoon match at Rod Laver Arena. The young German was voted the ATP Star of Tomorrow in 2015 and has mostly lived up to the hype, seeded 24th here. 'He is one of the best players in the world, without a doubt ... and one of the next Grand Slam winners,' Nadal said. 'He has a big chance to become the future world No. 1 if he's able to keep improving the way that he's doing.' Nadal has been playing well since his return to the circuit after two lengthy injury spells last year, the 14-time major winner looking almost flawless in his straight sets win over Marcos Baghdatis in the second round. Still, he's expecting to have his hands full with Zverev: 'I know I have a very tough match ... I know I need to play my best if I want to have a chance.' ___ A SERENA BREATHER?: Six-time Australian Open champion Serena Williams had two fairly tough matches through the first two rounds, facing Belinda Bencic, a former No. 7-ranked player now sitting at 59, and Lucie Safarova, ranked No. 61 but who Williams beat in the 2015 French Open final. Williams won both matches in straight sets. Her third-round match is against fellow American Nicole Gibbs, who Williams beat in straight sets at Stanford in 2012 in their only previous meeting. Williams said she feels she's better for the experience of having had tough opposition in the first two rounds. 'When I play players like Bencic and Safarova, they force me to play better,' Williams said. 'It forces my game from the very first day to be at a high level. I needed something to start really fast. I'm not going to complain about it.' ___ CONTRASTING STYLES: Third-seeded Milos Raonic plays Gilles Simon on Hisense Arena and the Canadian holds a 3-1 edge in career meetings. Their only Grand Slam match came in the fourth round of the 2014 French Open, when Raonic won in five sets, including 7-5 in the fifth. 'I know a lot about his game. I've watched him play a lot,' Raonic said. 'He's going to be there really trying to get me to play at his speed, his rhythm. Obviously he tries to slow things down, play low. I won't have the opportunity to get too many swings at many shots.' Which means Raonic, with one of the best serves in the game, will try to get points over quickly. 'I've got to serve well and I've got to be aggressive and I've got to take it to him. The last thing I want to do is get into this sort of game of playing long rallies with him.' ___ KONTA vs WOZNIACKI: Last year's semifinalist Johanna Konta and Caroline Wozniacki, a former No. 1 who made it to the final four here in 2011, meet for the first time in an afternoon match at Margaret Court Arena. Both have been playing well, Konta coming off a win in the Sydney International last week, and Wozniacki having dropped just seven games in her first two matches at Melbourne Park. 'She had a good last year,' Wozniacki said. 'But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter who is on the other side.' .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017

Ginebra posts first winning streak after stopping Elite

It took nine games but it happened, Brgy. Ginebra San Miguel finally took its first winning streak of the new PBA season. The Gin Kings won back-to-back games for the first time in the 2017 Philippine Cup after stopping Blackwater Friday, 99-90, at the Cuneta Astrodome. With the Elite erasing a 15-point lead to tie things upo at 82-all early in the fourth quarter, Ginebra displayed some championship composure and responded with an 11-2 run to re-establish control, 93-84, with less than five minutes to go. It was then cruise control for the Gin Kings to wrap up their fifth win against four defeats, forcing a four-team tie for the 3rd-6th spots in the standings. Blackwater dropped to solo seventh with an even 5-5 card. 'They [Blackwater] just kept hanging in there, they even came back and tied it up,' head coach Tim Cone said. 'I just felt tonight we had more depth than them, especialy after Japeth went out. Dave stepped in, played well, Jervy stepped in and played well. We just had more depth than them and I think that's the difference,' he added. With Japeth Aguilar going down in the first half following a bad fall off a dunk, it took a collective team effort from the Ginebra frontline to make up for his absence. Jervy Cruz came off the bench to lead the Gin Kings in scoring while Dave Marcelo and Joe Devance combined to score 26. LA Tenorio dropped 15 while Scottie Thompson was Scottie Thompson, posting a near triple-double with 13 points, 15 rebounds, and seven assists. Aguilar himself scored 14 points in just 14 and a half minutes of play. He did not return in the second half. For the second straight game, Roi Sumang starred for the Elite as the former UE Red Warrior came away with 20 points on a reserve role while Mac Belo and Raymond Aguilar chipped in 16 apiece for Blackwater.   The scores: GINEBRA 99 - Cruz 16, Tenorio 15, Aguilar 14, Thompson 13, Devance 13, Marcelo 13, Ellis 6, Mercado 5, Ferrer 2, Caguioa 2, Taha 0. BALCKWATER 90 - Sumang 20, Belo 16, Aguilar 16, Sena 14, Dela Cruz 7, Gamalinda 6, Miranda 5, Buenafe 4, Pascual 2, Ababou 0, Pinto 0. Quarterscores: 25-23, 53-40, 80-71, 99-90 br /> --- Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8 .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017

Trump to be sworn in as 45th US president

Trump to be sworn in as 45th US president.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017

Supplemental evidence vs grupo ni Sta. Isabel, isusumite na sa DoJ

ISUSUMITE na ngayong araw ng PNP- Anti-Kidnapping Group (AKG) ang kanilang supplemental evidence sa Department of Justice (DoJ) na lalong magdidiin kina SPO3 Ricky Sta. Isabel at sa kanyang grupo na responsable sa pagkidnap at pagpatay sa Koreanong negosyante na si Jee Ick Joo. Sunabi ni PSupt. Dennis Wagas, legal officer ng PNP-Anti-Kidnapping Group (AKG) [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  remateRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017

Michelle Obama: uber-mom, style icon, political force

Michelle Obama: uber-mom, style icon, political force.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017