Advertisements


Comelec: No unqualified candidate will be sworn in

Comelec: No unqualified candidate will be sworn in.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource: pep pepMay 14th, 2018

Strife remains despite joint plea on recount

By Charlie V. Manalo and Pat C. Santos A day after a joint manifestation was signed by the camp of former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos, it has become evident that Vice President Maria Leonor Robredo is not willing to withdraw her pending motions before the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET), Marcos’ spokesman lawyer Vic Rodriguez said.Marcos personally signed the document “withdrawing all and any pending motions relative to his election protest” but it was Robredo’s counsel, election lawyer Romulo Macalintal who signed for the Vice President.Rodriguez stressed Robredo has no intention of withdrawing her pending motions because she did not sign the joint motion that her lawyer presented to media. Macalintal, however, said the Vice President is heeding the challenge “in withdrawing all motions before PET to pave the way for a ballot recount.” “We accept the challenge of Mr. Marcos and his lawyer to sign a joint motion to withdraw any and all pending motions and incidents at the Presidential Electoral Tribunal which may cause the delay of the recount of ballots from the pilot provinces of Camarines Sur, Iloilo and Negros Oriental,” Romulo Macalintal, Robredo lead counsel said in a statement.Rodriguez in his joint motion, however, said only the name of Robredo’s counsel, lawyer Romulo Macalintal, appeared on the document.“A joint manifestation is a major pleading and it cannot be done through counsel alone. It should also be signed by the client because it needs his or her conformity. Since Mrs. Robredo did not sign the pleading together with her lawyer, it is obvious that she has no intention to withdraw her motions,” Rodriguez said.According to Rodriguez, the absence of Robredo’s signature puts into question her sincerity to hasten the pace of the electoral ‘Robredo can disown motion’ It likewise casts doubt on the authority of Macalintal who signed the motion. Robredo could later on even disown the motion because it was made without her conformity.“Without Mrs. Robredo’s signature, the motion is a mere scrap of paper and may be later disowned by her as having been signed without her authority. It seems that she merely wants to think fraudulently,” Rodriguez said.Rodriguez also questioned the joint motion prepared by Macalintal saying the same only covered pending motions and not future motions that may delay the proceedings. He said Marcos’ joint manifestation was more sincere because it covered both present and future motions in the election proceedings.“Atty. Macalintal is saying they are withdrawing but if you will read their joint motion, it only pertains to pending motions and not to future motions. In our case, it is all encompassing, from pending to future motions. Why are they backing out?” Rodriguez remarked.Rodriguez also took exception to the assertion made by Macalintal in his joint motion that Marcos has a pending “Partial Motion for Reconsideration” dated December 4, 2017 asking the PET to reconsider its earlier ruling allowing them to secure soft copies of the ballot images.Rodriguez pointed out that the said Partial Motion for Reconsideration had already been resolved by the Tribunal in its Resolution dated January 10, 2018.“It seems Atty. Macalintal has not studied the case of his client because that was resolved a long time ago. And he should know there are pending motions before the PET,” Rodriguez stated.Rodriguez also emphasized that if Macalintal was indeed serious about withdrawing all motions, he should have done it through the official route and not meet in a fast food restaurant for the signing.“Signing a major pleading in a pizza restaurant shows an utter lack of respect for the judicial process. There is a proper way to do things and this involves going to the law office of your opposing counsel and handing over the proper documents to them,” Rodriguez said.This is the reason, he pointed out, the Marcos camp went to the law office of Macalintal and his co-counsel Ma. Bernadette Sardillo located at Ortigas Avenue in Pasig City. According to Rodriguez, they went there first thing in the morning yesterday to give them the complete set of copies of the joint manifestation signed by Marcos and his counsel, George Garcia, together with the corresponding cover letter.“The challenge to meet at a fast food restaurant is unbecoming of an officer of the Court. It is unlawyerly and at most more of a publicity stunt. We hope the other camp has the decency to act accordingly,” Rodriguez said.“It appears that Atty. Macalintal wants to pull fast one on the public with his publicity stunt. As far as we are concerned, the joint motion he signed has no binding effect because it was not signed by his client. For all Macalintal’s protestations, our joint manifestation is ready for him and Mrs. Robredo to sign,” said Rodriguez. “We are still waiting.” Rodriguez said. Macalintal issues own challenge“I am inviting Mr. Marcos and his lawyer today at 9 a.m. to sign a joint motion. This is to confirm that we are not causing the delay in the recount of ballots,” Macalintal added.“It is Mr. Marcos’ raising of baseless allegations and irrelevant issues that is causing the delay in the recount,” he noted.“To remove all of these accusations flying back and forth I reiterate my challenge withdraw all your motions that could serve to delay the recount, I will withdraw all my motions that has been pending so that there will be no outstanding issues, no instances that needs to be studied by the Tribunal so that we can proceed to the opening and counting of the ballots,” Marcos said in a press conference last January 29 in Manila.“That has been my contention since May 10 of 2016 until now. It has been the same, I have been consistent, I reissue the challenge to Mrs. Robredo, withdraw all your motions, I will withdraw all of mine and let us proceed with the recount,” Marcos added.Marcos issued the challenged to stop the “delaying” issues being thrown by both camps to each other.At the same time, the vice presidential candidate in the May 2016 polls bared “solid and incontrovertible” evidence of massive fraud that transpired during the national and local elections held nearly two years ago.Marcos questioned the presence of square shapes in the ballot images instead of the oval shapes which voters shaded for their choice of candidates.“When we voted, we had the oval shapes. How come in the ballot images, the ovals are gone and instead we have the squares. What does this mean?” he said.He added, “(w)e could see based on the election results summary that the squares indicated the candidates that were voted upon. But this is a new feature that the Commission on Elections (Comelec) and Smartmatic added in the system and I had been told they did not inform the candidates of the presence of this feature in the images.”But Robredo slammed Marcos’ claims that there were “massive frauds” that transpired in the May 2016 elections.“His remarks are laughing matters as far as I am concerned. If laughter is the best medicine, then we can consider it the best medicine for us for the day,” Macalintal said in a press conference.“The excited and hysterical claim of (Marcos) and his spokesperson Atty. Vic Rodriguez that they allegedly uncovered solid and inconvertible evidence of massive fraud that transpired in the 2016 elections’ based on their own copies of alleged ballot images used in the said election, is highly ridiculous if not outright frivolous,” the lawyer added.Macalintal said Marcos’ claims of discrepancies in the hundreds of decrypted ballot images from Camarines Sur and Negros Oriental only showed that the latter’s protest “is facing its dismissal.”“He has no evidence at all. That is why he is now using evidence outside the election protest that he filed sa Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET),” he said.Marcos filed the protest on June 29, 2016, claiming that the camp of Robredo cheated in the automated polls in May that year.He sought the annulment of about a million votes cast in three provinces - Lanao del Sur, Basilan and Maguindanao.In his protest, Marcos contested the results in a total of 132,446 precincts in 39,221 clustered precincts covering 27 provinces and cities.In his preliminary conference briefing, Marcos also sought for a recount in Camarines Sur, Iloilo and Negros Oriental.Robredo filed her answer in August last year and filed a counter-protest, questioning the results in more than 30,000 polling precincts in several provinces where Marcos won.She also sought the dismissal of the protest for lack of merit and jurisdiction of PET.The high tribunal, in a ruling earlier last year, junked Robredo’s plea and proceeded with the case after finding the protest sufficient in form and substance.Robredo supposedly won the vice presidential race with 14,418,817 votes or 263,473 more than Marcos’ 14,155,344 votes......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJun 7th, 2018

Dead candidate wins as barangay chief in Samar

SAMAR, Philippines – A candidate for barangay chairperson, who died more than two weeks before the May 14 elections, still won against a relative in Samar, the local Commission on Elections (Comelec) said on Monday, May 21. Voters in  Barangay Catabunan in Calbayog City elected Christopher Branzuela, who ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 21st, 2018

Comelec won’t proclaim winning but unqualified barangay, SK bets

MANILA, Philippines (3rd UPDATE) – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) said on Monday, May 14, that unqualified barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) officials will not be allowed to assume office if they win. There are some instances where SK bets were over the age of 24, or where barangay candidates were ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 14th, 2018

Jimenez says accepting unqualified candidates is ‘ministerial’

          After the Commission on Elections (Comelec) suspended the proclamation of over-aged candidates in the 2018 Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) elections, its spokesperson James Jimenez said that the commission cannot do anything about unqualified candidates as it is their mandate to accept Certificate of Candidacy (COC).   "Here's the thing about the Philippine electoral system that a lot may not understand: accepting a Certificate of Candidacy isministerialto the Comelec.Ministerial means we have no choice in the matter," Jimenez said in an interview with Inquirer.net.   "If a dog tried to file a COC, and somehow, were ab...Keep on reading: Jimenez says accepting unqualified candidates is ‘ministerial’.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 14th, 2018

Stop vote buying, Comelec, PNP urged

SENATE President Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III yesterday asked the Commission on Elections and the Philippine National Police to crack down on vote buying. The Omnibus Election Code prohibits the exchange of anything of value to induce a voter to vote for or against a particular candidate, an act commonly referred….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsMay 13th, 2018

Barangay poll bet faces disqualification rap

ROXAS CITY, Capiz – A member of the Sangguniang Bayan (SB) of Sigma, Capiz is facing disqualification as a candidate for punong barangay of Poblacion Sur in the said town. Olivar Marcelino filed an election protest asking the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to disqualify Vicente Andaya III from running for barangay captain of Poblacion Sur […] The post Barangay poll bet faces disqualification rap appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsMay 8th, 2018

SC orders Comelec to comment on Guia’s petition

THE Supreme Court (SC) yesterday ordered the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to comment on the petition filed by San Juan City Mayor Guia Gomez seeking to stop the poll body’s resolution approving the recall petition filed by defeated mayoral candidate and former San Juan Vice Mayor Francis Zamora. SC spokesman….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsApr 24th, 2018

Few SK bets: Comelec extends COC filing deadline

A dismal candidate turnout for the Sangguniang Kabataan race prompted the Commission on Elections yesterday to extend the filing of certificates of candidacy for the SK and barangay polls until today......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 20th, 2018

Chiz panel awaits Bautista reply to raps

SENATE Committee on Banks, Financial Institutions and Currencies Chairman Sen. Francis Chiz Escudero said the arrest warrant against former Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Andres Bautista stays pending his submission of a sworn affidavit answering all the allegations lodged against him before the panel. This was after Bautista’s counsel, Atty.….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsMar 19th, 2018

Senate arrest order on ex-poll chief Bautista may be lifted soon

      The arrest warrant issued against formerCommission on Elections (Comelec) chairman Andres Bautista could be lifted next month after his lawyer promised on Monday to submit his sworn affidavit before the Senate committee on banks.   A the resumption of the hearing of the committee on Bautista's alleged unexplained wealth, lawyer AnacletoDiaz promised to submit Bautista's affidavit to the committeeon March 26, 2018.   Once the panel receives the affidavit, Senator Francis Escudero said he would recommend the lifting of the arrest warrant against Bautista.   Escudero, chairman of the committee, explained that there are certain ...Keep on reading: Senate arrest order on ex-poll chief Bautista may be lifted soon.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 19th, 2018

[OPINION] Debunking Sotto s election fraud claims

On March 6, Senator Vicente “Tito” Sotto III gave a privilege speech, accusing the Commission on Elections (Comelec) and Smartmatic of electoral fraud, which he claims would constitute “a case of electoral sabotage.” His cheating allegation came after losing vice presidential candidate Bongbong Marcos also accused the Comelec ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMar 17th, 2018

Enough is enough

As we went to press, it was still not certain if the POC COMELEC would disqualify ABAP chief Ricky Vargas as candidate for president and cycling head Rep......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 22nd, 2018

Comelec ‘disqualifies’ Lambunao mayor

THE Commission on Elections’ (Comelec) First Division declared nullified the candidacy of Mayor Jason Gonzales of Lambunao, Iloilo in the May 2016 elections because of residency issues. Comelec granted the November 2015 petition of former Lambunao mayor and defeated vice mayoral candidate Vicente “Bugok” Ramirez to deny due course or cancel the certificate of candidacy […] The post Comelec ‘disqualifies’ Lambunao mayor appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsFeb 8th, 2018

Marcos camp to SC: Order Comelec to show contents of ‘unused’ SD cards

MANILA, Philippines – The camp of defeated vice presidential candidate, former senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 25th, 2016

Rodrigo Duterte Is the Next President of the Philippines

With over ninety percent of the votes already tallied by the COMELEC's Transparency Server, candidate Rodrigo Duterte enjoys a insurmountable lead of more than 6 million votes over second-placer Mar Roxas. Duterte wins by a landslide and will be the 16th .....»»

Category: newsSource:  philnewsRelated NewsJul 17th, 2016

Comelec earmarks P150 million for ballots, pens for 2019 elections

Over P150 million has been allocated by the Commission on Elections for the procurement of the ballot paper and marking pens that will be used for the May 2019 national and local polls......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated News3 hr. 47 min. ago

Duterte tells Comelec: Deputize me for 2019 polls

        Deputize me.   This was what President Rodrigo Duterte told the Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Friday to help ensure a clean conduct of the 2019 midterm elections.   Duterte added that he will impose the "Alunan" doctrine, which limits the number of armed guards of politicians.   "I commit to the Filipino people that this will be a clean election. Sabihin ko sa Comelec na i-deputize personally ako [I'm telling the Comelec to deputize me personally]," Duterte said in a speech before a political gathering in Davao City.   "In the next few months, I will impose the Alunan doctrine. You cannot bring...Keep on reading: Duterte tells Comelec: Deputize me for 2019 polls.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated News8 hr. 0 min. ago

Comelec backs Gordon bill vs premature campaigning

MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Thursday, August 16, voiced support for a bill filed by Senator Richard Gordon against premature campaigning. "We are very supportive of this particular bill," Comelec Spokesman James Jimenez said in a Senate hearing on Thursday. "In general the ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 16th, 2018

Duterte might resign if Bongbong wins VP poll protest — Palace

President Rodrigo Duterte might fulfill his promise of stepping down from office if defeated vice presidential candidate Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. wins his electoral protest against Vice President Leni Robredo......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 16th, 2018

US transgender woman wins Democratic nod for governor in Vermont

Washington, United States --- Christine Hallquist won the Democratic gubernatorial nomination in the US state of Vermont on Tuesday, moving a step closer to becoming the nation's first transgender governor, US media reported. But she still faces an uphill battle in the general election, when she is projected to face Republican incumbent Phil Scott, who has been in office since 2016. "HISTORY MADE! @christineforvt just became the first trans/non-binary gubernatorial candidate from a major political party in American history!" tweeted the Victory Fund, an organization that supports LGBTQ candidates. Hallquist transitioned while heading the Vermont Electricity Coop, several yea...Keep on reading: US transgender woman wins Democratic nod for governor in Vermont.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 15th, 2018