Advertisements


Chinese firms scout Philippine prospects in Cebu summit

MANILA, Philippines - More Chinese companies want to take part in the country’s growing economy as close to 100 investors will participate in the 12th ASEAN.....»»

Category: financeSource: philstar philstarApr 4th, 2017

Aboitiz, Lopez team up for construction deals in Visayas

The Aboitiz and Lopez groups, two of the country's largest conglomerates, have teamed up to scout for big-ticket construction projects in the Visayas. Aboitiz Construction Inc. and First Balfour, a unit of Lopez-led First Philippine Holdings, recently signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to explore potential project collaborations in the Visayas. The two construction firms have agreed to exclusively work together, combining their expertise and resources to pursue prospects in the Visayan region, and ultimately secure contracts for successful project execution. "This partnership guarantees resilience and competitiveness as both can leverage on respective strengths," Aboitiz...Keep on reading: Aboitiz, Lopez team up for construction deals in Visayas.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 13th, 2018

HK mfg, fashion firms to scout Phl prospects

MANILA, Philippines - Hong Kong-based firms are arriving next month to explore business opportunities in the Philippines, the Philippine Chamber of Commerce.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 18th, 2017

Japan, China firms eager to enter Phl

MANILA, Philippines - Japanese and Chinese companies are looking at investing and partnering with Philippine firms amid the bright prospects brought about by.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 22nd, 2017

BoI: Chinese firms bullish on investing

Chinese companies remain upbeat about investing in the Philippines with a 30-man delegation recently in the country to scout for opportunities, the Board of Investments said on Friday. The Chinese delegation, led by Director Wang Kewen of the China Overseas Development Association (CODA), was said to be interested in the infrastructure, energy, industrial parks and [...] The post BoI: Chinese firms bullish on investing appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsMay 26th, 2018

Alejano: Why are firms blacklisted by World Bank in Marawi rehab?

An opposition lawmaker on Thursday slammed the inclusion of two Chinese firms in the consortium that would handle reconstruction efforts in a southern Philippine city ravaged by war a year ago......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 24th, 2018

Mass transit for Cebu: BRT or LRT?

Last week, National Economic Development Authority Secretary Ernesto Pernia held the Philippine Economic Briefing in Cebu and joined the debate on whether Cebu should have the Bus Rapid Transit favored by Mayor Tomas Osmeña or the Light Rail Transit proposed by the Chinese-Singaporean consortium to the tune of P155 billion......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 24th, 2018

IBP mulls Writ of Kalikasan vs Chinese builders of artificial islands

BAGUIO CITY — The Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) is exploring possibilities of filing a Writ of Kalikasan against firms contracted by China to build artificial islands at the West Philippine Sea......»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsMar 4th, 2018

Less reliance on coal in power sector seen

CEBU CITY---The electricity industry is approaching the threshold of transition into the dominance of renewable energy resources, under which there is "not much need for many new plants" especially coal-fired ones, according to the top official of First Philippine Holdings Corp.   "There are many powerful vectors" converging to change the energy industry and provide an opportunity to leapfrog and build a power industry "that's truly for the 21st century," said Federico R. Lopez, FPHC chair and chief executive.   Lopez was speaking at the 2nd Philippine Environment Summit held here and which wrapped up on Thursday.   FPHC's subsidiaries and affiliates oper...Keep on reading: Less reliance on coal in power sector seen.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 23rd, 2018

PH stocks seen to resume upswing, hit 9,100 in ’18

The Philippine Stock Exchange index will likely resume its upswing and reach a new high of 9,100 within this year as the country's macroeconomic fundamentals remained favorable, the chief strategist of BDO Unibank said. In a briefing with the Federation of Filipino-Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry on Wednesday night, BDO's Jonathan Ravelas said local equities would have room to gain this year on prospects of higher government spending. About 70 percent of incremental revenues to be generated by the government from the recent tax reform program are seen going to infrastructure spending. Last year, the PSEi advanced by 25 percent. This year, the index has pulled back from...Keep on reading: PH stocks seen to resume upswing, hit 9,100 in ’18.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 22nd, 2018

Shares of firms in West Philippine Sea surge on Philippines-China joint exploration talks

MANILA, Philippines — Shares of listed companies with interests in oil and gas prospects in the West Philippine Sea surged after the Philippines and China ag.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 17th, 2018

Balutan: PCSO detractors not happy with STL expansion

Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office General Manager Alexander Balutan said he will not allow critics eyeing control of Small Town Lottery to destroy the agency.   "Only our detractors who want to control STL for their own personal interest are not happy with this because they hallucinate so much. Imagine the billions of pesos they are now losing because of our aggressive expansion of the STL where these notorious gambling lords used to monopolize their illegal numbers game such as jueteng, swertres, masiao, pares..." Balutan said during a presseron Sundayat the Summit Circle in Cebu.   On Monday, Balutan skipped the Senate hearing on various PCSO controversies...Keep on reading: Balutan: PCSO detractors not happy with STL expansion.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 12th, 2018

FDI inflows exceed 2017 goal with December figure still untallied

Foreign direct investments into the country in the first 11 months of 2017 exceeded the full year target as local units for overseas firms benefited from the inflow of capital to fund their expansion plans, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas said on Monday. As a result of these developments, FDI recorded net inflows of $8.7 billion during the period January-November 2017, exceeding the $8 billion projection for 2017. "The sustained FDI inflows reflected investor confidence given the Philippine economy's solid macroeconomic fundamentals and growth prospects," BSP Gov. Nestor Espenilla Jr. said in a statement. The BSP said that total FDI increased to $869 million at the end of Novemb...Keep on reading: FDI inflows exceed 2017 goal with December figure still untallied.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 12th, 2018

‘Grand Deception’ by Jun Ledesma

Letters From Davao: WHEN RAPPLER through its President, Maria Ressa, was caught trifling with an important tenet in the Philippine constitution that mandates that Philippine media should be 100% owned by Filipinos the Securities and Exchange Commission ordered it closed. Rappler was parading like it is wholly owned by Filipinos but turned out it accepted investment from Omidyar Network (ON) which is known for its notoriety in destabilizing heads of state that are not docile to America. It tried deception by claiming that the Philippine Deposit Receipts it issued to ON money was for philanthropic contribution. The attempt dragged them deeper in shit as PDRs are actually commercial instruments. When this trick did not work, Ressa again tried another act this time claiming that Omidyar signed a waiver on its veto power. Again this did not pass scrutiny of the SEC because the said waiver was discovered to be just a scrap of paper as the document was not notarized.  Running out of deceptive tricks Ma. Ressa went berserk when she was served the closure order and went about town crying her freedom is being curtailed by Pres. Rodrigo Duterte no less. Her partner Pia Ranada did the same screaming she will be jailed by Duterte’s military. The grandstanding, it was obvious, was to stonewall the criminal violation they committed and to paint Rappler and its staff headed by Ressa as victims of oppression and dictatorial regime of Duterte. Contrary to its claim that they have lost their freedom of expression, more than ever Rappler had increased the crescendo of its unfettered attack on no less than the President Duterte himself. Ressa spearheaded a Black Friday movement supported by a handful of students from where else by the University of the Philippines campus and the usual garrulous but moribund Liberal Party stalwarts headed by VP Leni Robredo. They were joined in by UN Rapporteur Agnes Callamard and her local counterpart Chito Gascon in denouncing the Duterte government for curtailing the freedom of the press. Other foreign-funded media outfits joined the fray for obvious reason.  Theirs is a cacophony of ridiculous chants. Robredo warned that the closure of Rappler is a symptom of a dark future of the country. The juvenile delinquents in the UP campus joined pipsqueak assemblies with screaming placards denouncing Pres. Duterte and his “malignant forces that continue to peddle lies to justify their tyranny and dictatorship”.  They cut classes to face the TV cameras and klieg lights unmindful of yet another spectacular grade the survey firms Social Weather Station and Pulse Asia showing an “excellent” grade on the sustained trust and popularity of the nation on Duterte which they had been flagellating no end.  No one seems to mind their issue about tyranny and dictatorship as the World Bank grudgingly declared that “DDS killed democracy in the Philippines but they haven’t killed the country’s vibrant economy”.  Forbes, an international business magazine, likewise quoted WB on its Global Economic Prospects, which asserts that “Duterte Philippines is the 10th fastest growing economy in the world”.  The statistics is a slap on the face of VP Robredo who remains to be an incurable pessimist despite the figures that cannot lie. She continues to see the future of the Philippines in dark glasses forgetting that she is a Vice President and therefore should have celebrated with the rest for the gains that the country achieved. For her part, Maria Ressa simply ignored what Forbes and WB declared.  Maybe out of outrage that the Robredo seemed to be out of sync and blinded by sheer politicking and negativism, UP Political Science professor and political analyst, Clarita Carlos,  made a five-worded message to The Vice President thus: “President Duterte moves the Philippines forward”. To those who denigrate Duterte from cutting the country’s umbilical cord to America, Professor Carlos had this to say. “Duterte has moved the Philippines away from the usual foreign policy and in turn ‘defined national interest’ by tracking his own way of foreign policy”. She admired Duterte for his political guts and courage.  It is indeed pathetic that while the Philippines rise several notches higher in political and economic arena the opposition and the foreign-aided media outfits shamelessly continue to belittle these achievements. It is no small feat that Philippines came out stronger in economic growth than China in the 3rd quarter of 2017. On the 4th quarter moreover China rallied (6.9%) and landed on top of Asian countries followed by Vietnam (6.8) and Philippines 6.7%. The Philippines however has been growing more than 6% for nine consecutive quarters and that sustained growth is best among Asean nations. Any which way you look at it, that spells economic stability and investment grade for investors service firms like Moody’s and other international credit rating institutions. Cause and effect is a simple gauge to measure the impact of the tyranny and dictatorial regime that Rappler and its sympathizers have been accusing the Duterte regime. But as I always say, no one can quarrel with success especially when institutions of unquestionable stature put the positive figures across. Expect the economy to grow even faster in 2018 when infrastructure spending commences under the Duterte’s Build, Build, Build program. As we all know, the government had earmarked P8.4-trillion to achieve the mega infrastructure projects comprising of railways, highways and bridges, irrigation’s, airports and seaports to name a few. The job opportunities that these programs will generate are equally mind-boggling. […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsFeb 1st, 2018

Ateneo coach Silva on 3 Eaglets in NBTC 24: ‘They deserve to be there’

Ateneo de Manila High School is undefeated in the UAAP 80 Juniors Basketball Tournament. And with a lineup as talented and as deep as they have, the Blue Eaglets are expected to go all the way to the Finals – and even get the championship. Led by three players in the top five in terms of Statistical Points (SPs) in the UAAP in second-running Kai Sotto, third-running SJ Belangel, and fourth-running Dave Ildefonso, indeed, no team is as talented and as deep as the kids from Katipunan. For head coach Joe Silva, those three are only worthy of being mentioned as top talent not only in the UAAP, but also the entire Philippines. “The three of them really are blue-chip talents sa high school,” he said. The first-ever NBTC Chooks-to-Go 24 high school player rankings seems to agree with him as in the initial list revealed last Monday, Sotto was deemed the top talent among all players taking part in the NCAA, UAAP, CESAFI (Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation, Inc.), MMBL (Metro Manila Basketball League), and FCAAF (Filipino-Chinese Amateur Athletic Federation). The NBTC Chooks-to-Go 24 is a weekly ranking of high school players which will ultimately be used to select the participants in the annual SM-NBTC High School All-Star Game at the MOA Arena. There, Belangel was ranked fifth while Ildefonso was eighth. That means that Ateneo has three players in the top eight in all of the Philippines. In Silva’s eyes, there is no doubt that his three prized prospects are nothing but deserving of their ranks. “They deserve to be there,” he said. That statement is even truer for Sotto, the towering teen who has long had scouts drooling about his potential. “If you put him in another team, he’d dominate, double-double yan easily. We’re not about individual stuff, but it’s not a surprise that Kai’s number one,” he said. The 7-foot-1, 15-year-old has per game counts of 12.6 points in 53.7 percent shooting, 12.6 rebounds, and 4.9 blocks in just 23.2 minutes of play. Silva was quick to remind Sotto, Belangel, and Ildefonso, however, “Good for them, pero they shouldn’t settle. They should work harder, stay humble, and focus on their studies.” The Blue Eaglets mentor, though, would also like to see two more names of his players on the NBTC Chooks-to-Go 24. “For me, Jason Credo and Joaqui Manuel should be there. Maybe they’re being overshadowed kasi medyo malakas yung team namin kaya they don’t get their numbers,” he said. He then continued, “Pero versatility-wise, value to the team, I believe they should be there.” Manuel has been their breakout player with averages of 11.1 points, 9.0 rebounds, and 1.6 assists while Credo has been their glue guy with norms of 10.0 points, 5.9 rebounds, 3.6 assists, and 1.6 steals. Manuel and Credo’s next chance to get on the list will be next Monday when the new rankings will be released. --- Follow this writer on Twitter, @riegogogo......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 18th, 2018

PEZA says Chinese, Japanese firms interested in mining investments

THE Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA) said it has received expressions of interest from foreign minerals firms, indicating possible new entrants since the disruptions caused by a crackdown on the industry ordered by former Environment and Natural Resources Secretary Regina Paz L. Lopez. PEZA Director-General Charito B. Plaza said the approaches are from “Japanese and […] The post PEZA says Chinese, Japanese firms interested in mining investments appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJan 1st, 2018

Kintaro Miyagi makes Cebu proud by scoring the Azkals third goal vs Laos

CEBU CITY, Philippines - Cebuano Kintaro “King" Miyagi was not part of the Philippine Azkals first 11 in their first match against Laos in the ongoing four-nation Chinese Taipei Football Association (CTFA) International Tournament in Taipei, Taiwan. But when he replaced no less than his idol Phil Younghusband, in the ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 2nd, 2017

Cebu Hosts 1st Tech Business Incubator Summit

The 1st Philippine Technology Business Incubator (TBI) Summit takes center-stage today (Nov. 24) here at the Victoria Hall of Cebu Parklane International Hotel. The national TBI Summit gathers technology and startup players from all over... The post Cebu Hosts 1st Tech Business Incubator Summit appeared first on MetroCebu News......»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsNov 24th, 2017

DUTERTE TRANSCRIPTS. ASEAN-China Summit. 13 Nov 2017

(Note from MindaNews: This is the official transcript of President Rodrigo Duterte’s speech, released by the Presidential News Desk of the Presidential Communications Office) Presidential Communications Office Presidential News Desk REMARKS OF PRESIDENT RODRIGO ROA DUTERTE AND CHINESE PREMIER LI KEQIANG DURING THE 20TH ASEAN-CHINA SUMMIT [Philippine International Convention Center (PICC), Pasay City | 13 November […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsNov 14th, 2017

Pangilinan still optimistic over oil hunt in West Philippine Sea

MANILA, Philippines – Filipino tycoon  Manuel Pangilinan , whose firm holds an exploration permit covering the Reed Bank, remains optimistic that Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte and Chinese Premier Li Keqiang can agree to share untapped oil and gas prospects in the disputed West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). This was after China ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsNov 14th, 2017

Visa-free entry to Korea for Filipinos, but …

  Filipinos can visit South Korea without visa until April next year if they enter through the airport near the venue of the Winter Olympics, state-run Yonhap news agency said.   The South Korean government has also provided Indonesia and Vietnam visa-free privileges to visitors if they enter the country through the YangYang airport near Pyeongchang, which is hosting the games.   There are no direct commercial flights from the Philippines to YangYang Airport: Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines only have trips to Busan and Incheon.   The South Korean government has also waived the $15 per person visa fee for Chinese tourists up until the end ...Keep on reading: Visa-free entry to Korea for Filipinos, but ….....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 9th, 2017