Advertisements


Chinese firms eye Philippine broadband plan

MANILA, Philippines – Two Chinese companies have expressed interest to work with the government for a national broadband plan......»»

Category: financeSource: philstar philstarNov 8th, 2016

FIBA WC Qualifiers: Slimmed down Andray Blatche out for revenge in 3rd window

Preparing for the third window of the FIBA World Cup, a visibly slimmer Gilas star center Andray Blatche is getting himself ready for a better performance against Chinese Taipei and beefed up Australia. The 6'11 center was interviewed by reporters after watching the Magnolia-TNT game at the Mall of Asia Arena, sitting near PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial at front row. Shortly before the game ended, the former Brooklyn Nets big man talked about facing the Australian national team in front of what should be a boisterous Gilas crowd at the Philippine Arena on July 2. However, things will be much different as the Boomers will be parading Milwaukee Bucks duo Thon Maker and Matthew Dellavedova, two months removed from their seven-game series loss against Eastern Conference finalists Boston Celtics. For Blatche, the game plan will be simple, and he hopes it will be enough against one of the top teams of the FIBA-Asia region. "I mean, Australia's already a tough team. They added two great talents, Thon Maker and Dellavedova. I mean, at the end of the day, we still have to come out and compete. Hit our shots and play tough defense. So, it's going to be up to us to control the games here at home and to hype up the crowd." Clutching his back and complaining about the pain, Blatche said that he had prepared for weeks and is starting to find his shooting stroke. " I mean, I decided to play again. Last month, I played again. I hadn't played in months. To play a lot, to practice a lot, to get thay rhythm again. I found my shots." After a sorry six-point performance at the hands of Chinese Taipei in a 90-83 win at the Big Dome last November, he has a message against naturalized center Quincy Davis III, who dominated the shaded lane with a 20-point and nine-rebound performance before fouling out. "Yeah, I got something at (Quincy) Davis."   __   Follow this writer on Twitter, @philipptionary......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 13th, 2018

Prepare for possible China invasion, ex-defense chief tells PH

MANILA, Philippines – "A Chinese invasion is not unthinkable.” Former defense secretary and national security adviser Norberto Gonzales  in a statement sent on Saturday, June 9, urged the Philippine government to begin crafting a "contingency plan" in case China decides to invade the Philippines. " China does not have a ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 10th, 2018

PH forces harassed anew in Ayungin Shoal, says lawmaker

Philippine military forces were harassed anew by Chinese forces in Ayungin Shoal last May 11, Magdalo Rep. Gary Alejano revealedon Wednesday. The opposition lawmaker mentioned the harassment at a Congressional briefing on the recent developments in the West Philippine Sea. "On May 11, during a reprovisioning mission for our troops in Ayungin, LS507 of the Philippine Navy was challenged and harassed by the Coast Guard and the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) of China," he narrated. "When the Philippine Navy ship launched a rubber boat to resupply BRP Sierra Madre, a chopper of PLAN hovered in a close and dangerous distance. The PLAN chopper was so close that sea water splash ...Keep on reading: PH forces harassed anew in Ayungin Shoal, says lawmaker.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 30th, 2018

Alejano: Why are firms blacklisted by World Bank in Marawi rehab?

An opposition lawmaker on Thursday slammed the inclusion of two Chinese firms in the consortium that would handle reconstruction efforts in a southern Philippine city ravaged by war a year ago......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 24th, 2018

Duterte says China s Xi vowed to protect him from ouster

MANILA, Philippines – Chinese President Xi Jinping promised to protect President Rodrigo Duterte from any plan to remove him from office, the Philippine leader said on Tuesday, May 15.  "The assurances of Xi Jinping were very encouraging. 'We will not – ,' eh nandiyan naman sila (anyway ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 15th, 2018

PNB firms up $1-billion offshore borrowing plan

Philippine National Bank has tapped the arrangers and dealers of its planned offshore borrowing program from which it intends to raise as much as $1 billion......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 14th, 2018

Peza: Higher imports in 2017 seen as hedge vs tax on local supplies

Imports made by Peza-registered companies grew to more than P2 trillion last year partly because of worries that the Philippine administration might start charging more for local purchases, a top official said. Data from the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (Peza) showed that the imports ordered by Peza-registered firms reached $39.18 billion (more than P2 trillion) in 2017, which is a 27-percent increase from the $30.895 billion (over P1.6 trillion) reached in 2016. In a recent press briefing, Peza Director General Charito Plaza said the TRAIN law's plan to remove the zero-rated value-added tax (VAT) for certain local transactions "could be" a factor behind the increase in impor...Keep on reading: Peza: Higher imports in 2017 seen as hedge vs tax on local supplies.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 6th, 2018

IBP mulls Writ of Kalikasan vs Chinese builders of artificial islands

BAGUIO CITY — The Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) is exploring possibilities of filing a Writ of Kalikasan against firms contracted by China to build artificial islands at the West Philippine Sea......»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsMar 4th, 2018

PEZA says Chinese, Japanese firms interested in mining investments

THE Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA) said it has received expressions of interest from foreign minerals firms, indicating possible new entrants since the disruptions caused by a crackdown on the industry ordered by former Environment and Natural Resources Secretary Regina Paz L. Lopez. PEZA Director-General Charito B. Plaza said the approaches are from “Japanese and […] The post PEZA says Chinese, Japanese firms interested in mining investments appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJan 1st, 2018

PT& T signs agreement with Chinese company

PHILIPPINE Telegraph and Telephone Corporation (PT&T) is looking to team up with a Chinese company to provide free wireless broadband services in public areas around the country. In a disclosure to the stock exchange, PT&T Senior Vice-President and Chief Information Officer Arturo T. Falco said the company has signed a memorandum of agreement (MoA) with […] The post PT&T signs agreement with Chinese company appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsDec 19th, 2017

PT& T, Chinese firm to explore free Wi-Fi during disasters

MANILA, Philippines – Newly-invigorated Philippine Telegraph & Telephone Corporation (PT&T)  and a Chinese wireless network firm agreed to explore the possibility of offering free wireless broadband services during natural disasters. In a disclosure to the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE) on Tuesday, December 19, PT&T said it signed a memorandum of agreement with Chengdu Zhongxing ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 19th, 2017

DTI: Chinese firms eyeing PH ventures

Two Chinese companies have offered to invest some $4.5 billion in the country, the Trade department said. The firms were identified as Huili Investment Fund Management Co., Ltd. and Yi Ding Tai International Corporation, which plan to invest in iron and steel manufacturing and shipbuilding. “This is one of several investment proposals we have received [...] The post DTI: Chinese firms eyeing PH ventures appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsOct 23rd, 2017

Shadowy group calls for Duterte’s ouster

MANILA – A shadowy group called Patriotic and Democratic Movement or PADEM, composed of disgruntled military and police officers and members, has called for the ouster of President Rodrigo Duterte and cited 10 reasons for its action. It accused Duterte of treating the military and police as his private armies and for betraying and violating public trust. It also urged Filipinos to join PADEM in condemning and fighting Duterte and his administration and to stage mass actions and demand the President’s ouster. In a manifesto, Antonio Bonifacio, who claimed to be PADEM’s spokesman, called on members of the military and police to also join the people in demanding Duterte’s resignation and also his administration. It said the group is working for the withdrawal military and police support for Duterte.  “We urge all Filipinos as individuals and as groups in whatever social sector, field, institution or organization to exercise their right of assembly and expression to undertake mass actions demanding the ouster of Duterte and his administration. We call on our fellow officers and members of the AFP and the PNP to join the people in demanding the resignation or ouster of Duterte and his administration.” “We pledge to work for the withdrawal of military and police support for Duterte and his administration in conjunction with mass mobilization of the Filipino people in millions to manifest their demand for the resignation or ouster of Duterte and his administration. Upon the change of administration, we pledge to follow the principle of civilian supremacy and support a new civilian administration, in accordance with the 1987 Constitution and the rule of law,” the manifesto, released by Bonifacio &'' believed to be a nom de guerre – said. PADEM also condemned and holds accountable for gross crimes in betrayal of public trust and in violation of national sovereignty and democratic rights of the Filipino people. It cited the following reasons as alleged crimes of Duterte:   Treating the AFP and the PNP as these were his private armies and practising favoritism and violating professional and service standards in the promotion and assignment of officers; Corrupting the PNP and the AFP with a system of monetary awards for the extrajudicial killing of alleged illegal drug users and of NPA suspects; Condoning and protecting top-level illegal drug lords; Emboldening/inciting police officers to engage in extrajudicial killings of poor suspected illegal drug users and pushers by publicly telling officers to plant evidence and by guaranteeing their pardon and promotion in case of conviction; Aggravating corruption in government and criminality through the collusion of Duterte trustees and crime syndicates; Allowing China to occupy maritime features in the West Philippine Sea and to violate Philippine sovereign rights upheld by decision of the Arbitral Tribunal in accordance with the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea; Bungling the operations in Marawi City and indiscriminately destroying lives and property through aerial bombings, artillery and mortar; Favoring certain Chinese businessmen and Duterte relatives and cronies in the award of projected infrastructure projects using loans from China; Betraying the sovereign rights of the Filipino people by making the Philippines a debt vassal of China and offering to China the oil and gas resources under the West Philippine Sea as collateral for Chinese loans; and Seeking to replace the partnership with the United States in matters of national security with an even more lopsided relationship with China and Russia.  Television network GMA reported that the military has reiterated its support for the administration of Duterte and strongly denied PADEM’s allegations. Military spokesman Brigadier General Restituto Padilla said the entire Armed Forces of the Philippines, along with all the men and women of the uniformed services and all their civilian personnel, stand by the government and support Duterte, their commander-in-chief. Padilla said the accusations and issues cited by the group are unfounded and uncalled for. “Such issues are clearly politically motivated and a matter that the AFP does not and will not subscribe to,” GMA quoted him as saying, adding, they are the constitutionally mandated protectors of the people and will stand by law-abiding citizens whenever and wherever they are needed. “Having affirmed this, the AFP, however, will not hesitate in acting against forces who shall undermine the stability and security of our country and those who wish to destabilize our nation thru unconstitutional means,” he said. Communist rebels had previously said that the Central Intelligence Agency is plotting to oust Duterte alongside the plan to assassinate Jose Maria Sison, founder of the Communist Party of the Philippines. Sison, in a statement he issued in May, said those who continue to support him assert that performance in a year is not enough basis for a final judgment and that there is more than enough time ahead for him to accomplish promises that have most impressed them, such as the eradication of the drug problem, criminality, and corruption. He said Duterte has, in fact, pleaded that he needs three or four more years to bring about the significant changes that he previously thought would be done in six months’ time. His promised campaign against the pork barrel and other forms of corruption of the Aquino regime has not yet materialized. “Where he has been most successful at, projecting himself as a strong leader by calling on the police and the public to kill drug addict-pushers, he has attracted the most severe and sustained condemnation by institutions, the [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsAug 23rd, 2017

Chinese firms scout Philippine prospects in Cebu summit

MANILA, Philippines - More Chinese companies want to take part in the country’s growing economy as close to 100 investors will participate in the 12th ASEAN.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 4th, 2017

PCC outlines proposals for Nat’l Broadband Plan

MANILA, Philippines -  The Philippine Competition Commission (PCC) has expressed support to the National Broadband Plan (NBP) approved by President Duterte d.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 30th, 2017

Gatchalian: Philippines should invoke South China Sea ruling

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine government should invoke the arbitral ruling on the South China Sea in filing a protest against a reported Chinese plan.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 22nd, 2017

Nation: Duterte says concerns over China in Benham Rise just 'nitpicking'

PRESIDENT RODRIGO R. Duterte on Sunday maintained he cannot stop China's activities in the contested South China Sea amid reports on Beijing's plan to build structures on a shoal there and Chinese vessels surveying waters recognized as Philippine territory......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsMar 19th, 2017

HNU gets free Smart wifi

TAGBILARAN CITY, March 7 (PIA)&''The day after President Rodrigo Duterte approved the Philippine national Broadband Plan to effect a faster and more reliable communications in the country, Holy Name University in Bohol also partners with Smart Telecommunications for a wireless fidelity (wifi) internet access for its students. And for that, Smart Communications incorporated allocated 100 [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  boholnewsdailyRelated NewsMar 11th, 2017

Japan, China firms eager to enter Phl

MANILA, Philippines - Japanese and Chinese companies are looking at investing and partnering with Philippine firms amid the bright prospects brought about by.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 22nd, 2017

Chinese suppliers set sights on PH national broadband plan – DICT

Chinese suppliers set sights on PH national broadband plan – DICT.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsNov 8th, 2016