Advertisements


Child up for sale after failed ransom bid rescued from kidnappers

A THREE-year-old girl could have ended up being a beggar on the streets if she were not rescued by police after her parents could not pay the P3,000 ransom demanded by her abductors. Police in Las Pinas and Cavite arrested two individuals in a series of operations after kidnapping and allegedly trying to sell the [...] The post Child up for sale after failed ransom bid rescued from kidnappers appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource: manilatimes_net manilatimes_netJan 3rd, 2018

Child up for sale after failed ransom bid rescued from kidnappers

A THREE-year-old girl could have ended up being a beggar on the streets if she were not rescued by police after her parents could not pay the P3,000 ransom demanded by her abductors. Police in Las Pinas and Cavite arrested two individuals in a series of operations after kidnapping and allegedly trying to sell the [...] The post Child up for sale after failed ransom bid rescued from kidnappers appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJan 3rd, 2018

Nassar, trainer charged with sex assault; Karolyis cleared

By David Warren, Associated Press DALLAS (AP) — Texas prosecutors on Friday filed sexual assault charges against Larry Nassar and a trainer who worked at his side, expanding the worst abuse scandal in U.S. sports history beyond Michigan while also clearing world-renowned gymnastics coaches Bela and Martha Karolyi whose ranch served as a training site for Olympians. Nassar, a former sports doctor, was charged with sexually assaulting six minors in Walker County, home of the Karolyi ranch, about 70 miles (110 kilometers) north of Houston. A grand jury also indicted former sports medicine trainer Debra Van Horn on one count of second-degree sexual assault of a child, making her the first person other than Nassar to be charged in direct connection with the assaults. She had worked at Indianapolis-based USA Gymnastics for 30 years. Walker County District Attorney David Weeks said Van Horn was charged as "acting as a party" with Nassar. He didn't elaborate. Efforts to reach her for comment were unsuccessful, and the name of her lawyer wasn't immediately known. In Michigan, Nassar was sentenced earlier this year to decades in prison, after hundreds of women and girls accused him of molesting them with his hands under the guise of medical treatment. They said the abuse went as far back as the 1990s while he worked at Michigan State University and USA Gymnastics, which trains Olympians. A victim, Mattie Larson, told a judge in January that Van Horn "would be in the room many of the times Larry abused me. If a trainer, a professional trainer, doesn't say anything about it, I should trust her. At least that's what I thought." The Karolyis have denied wrongdoing . They couldn't be reached for comment Friday; a call to the number listed for Bela Karolyi wasn't answered. "The Karolyis were and remain fully cooperative with this investigation. There is no corroborated evidence of any criminal conduct" by the couple, said Stephanie Stroud, a Walker County prosecutor. Stroud said investigators tried to determine if anyone at the ranch knew about Nassar's conduct and didn't report it. But the two-year statute of limitations had already lapsed on any possible misdemeanor charges of failure to report. "That in no way means there was no wrongdoing at the ranch or within the ranks of USAG," Stroud said, referring to USA Gymnastics. "It is our belief that there was a total failure by USAG to protect the athletes that were part of their program and to take appropriate action once they were made aware of Dr. Nassar's actions." In a statement, USA Gymnastics said it is cooperating with Texas investigators and is committed "to doing everything possible to prevent this from happening again." Nassar, 54, probably won't be free again due to his long prison sentences for assault and child pornography crimes. But Weeks, the district attorney, said he still wants to bring him to Texas to face the charges. "There are a number of hoops we have to jump through to get him here," Weeks told reporters. The Karolyis are suing the U.S. Olympic Committee and USA Gymnastics, seeking more than $1 million for the canceled sale of their training center near Huntsville — a transaction that tanked in the wake of the Nassar scandal. Several former gymnasts have also filed lawsuits. One of them, Sabrina Vega, filed a lawsuit in May alleging USA Gymnastics, the U.S. Olympic Committee and the Karolyis failed to protect her and other athletes. Vega, who was on the team that won a gold medal at the 2011 World Championships, alleges the organizations and the Karolyis ignored signs about Nassar's behavior or should have known he posed a risk. She said Nassar molested her hundreds of times during medical treatments from 2008, when she was 12 years old, until 2012. Vega said the abuse occurred during competitions and at the Karolyi ranch. Congress passed a bill in January that makes members of amateur sports organizations, including those that run Olympic sports, mandatory reporters of sexual abuse. It also requires the organizations to implement standard protections for athletes. ___ Associated Press reporters Ed White and Corey Williams in Detroit, Terry Wallace in Dallas and researcher Monika Mathur in New York contributed to this report......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 30th, 2018

Two Filipino women arrested over alleged baby-sale deal

Two Filipino women have been charged with child trafficking after one of them allegedly attempted to sell a three-month-old baby to the other. Authorities said the child’s biological mother ha Source link link: Two Filipino women arrested over alleged baby-sale deal.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsSep 13th, 2018

Two Filipino women arrested over alleged baby-sale deal

Two Filipino women have been charged with child trafficking after one of them allegedly attempted to sell a three-month-old baby to the other. Authorities said the child's biological mother ha.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsSep 13th, 2018

Sudan police save 85 minors from trafficking network

Police in Sudan have rescued nearly 100 people, 85 of them minors, after breaking up a human trafficking network in the northeast African country last month, Interpol said Monday. Two men and twelve women were arrested and around $20,000 of the suspected ransom money was seized in the operation at several locations in Khartoum as well as at gold mines east of the city, the international policing agency said. The victims, some of whom were as young as 10, were from several African countries including Chad, DR Congo, Eritrea, and Niger. "The diversity of nationalities amongst those rescued shows how human trafficking and people smuggling is a truly transnational problem which requ...Keep on reading: Sudan police save 85 minors from trafficking network.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsSep 10th, 2018

Inspector general reviews FBI handling of Nassar allegations

By MICHAEL BALSAMO, Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department's inspector general is investigating how the FBI handled sexual abuse allegations against former USA Gymnastics national team doctor Larry Nassar, a person familiar with the matter said Wednesday. The investigation comes amid allegations that the FBI failed to promptly address complaints made in 2015 against the once-renowned gymnastics doctor. Nassar is now serving decades in prison after hundreds of girls and women said he sexually abused them under the guise of medical treatment when he worked for Michigan State and Indiana-based USA Gymnastics, which trains Olympians. USA Gymnastics contacted the FBI about the allegations in July 2015 but it took months before the agency opened a formal investigation. At least 40 girls and women said they were molested over a 14-month period while the FBI was aware of other sexual abuse allegations involving Nassar. Nassar was ultimately charged in 2016 with federal child porn offenses and sexual abuse charges in Michigan. In the last month, investigators from the inspector general's office have contacted some of the victims whose cases had been reported to the FBI, including former Olympian McKayla Maroney, according to the person familiar with the matter who wasn't authorized to discuss the situation publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. In May, the FBI said it would conduct an internal review of the Nassar investigation. "The FBI holds itself and our operations accountable to the highest standards of integrity. When warranted, the FBI reviews allegations in a fair, accurate and impartial manner," the agency said in a statement at the time. The FBI and federal prosecutors in Michigan, Los Angeles and Indianapolis have refused to meet with Maroney and her attorneys to explain why it took months for federal agents to open an investigation, her lawyer, John Manly, said. He alleged the FBI "concealed" what it knew about Nassar by failing to notify local authorities in Michigan or contacting the medical board. Maroney and several other victims Manly represents are "horrified" that dozens of other girls and women were abused after the FBI was told about the allegations, he said. "They deserved better than what they got," Manly said. USA Gymnastics president Kerry Perry, the latest person to face fallout in the wake of the Nassar allegations, resigned earlier this week. Numerous other people have been criminally charged, fired or forced out of their jobs during the investigations into Nassar. An FBI spokeswoman and a spokesman for the Justice Department's inspector general declined to comment Wednesday on the investigation......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsSep 6th, 2018

UK mulls ban on sale of energy drinks to kids

LONDON: Britain’s government launched a public consultation Thursday over plans to ban the sale of energy drinks to young people, as it grapples with some of Western Europe’s worst child obesity rates. Prime Minister Theresa May wants to prevent retailers from selling popular energy drinks, such as Red Bull, Monster and Relentless, to children because [...] The post UK mulls ban on sale of energy drinks to kids appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsAug 30th, 2018

Landslide kills couple; more Luzon villages flooded

A couple died on Saturday when their house was buried in a landslide at Kibungan town in Benguet province due to monsoon rains that hammered Northern Luzon over the weekend, according to the Office of Civil Defense.   Florentino and Cristina Ligaten were killed by the erosion as strong rains pounded the village of Madaymen but their son, Clifford, survived and is being treated at Atok District Hospital.   In Ilocos Sur on Sunday, volunteers rescued a 3-month-old child, a pregnant woman and members of three households from the flooded section of the village of Talogtog in Candon City.   Nonstop rain   Candon has been under water, along with ...Keep on reading: Landslide kills couple; more Luzon villages flooded.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 26th, 2018

PNP-AKG agents solve 4 KFR cases

AGENTS of the Philippine National Police Anti-Kidnapping Group (PNP-AKG) over the weekend solved four kidnapping-for-ransom cases following separate operations in Isabela province, Taguig City, Tondo, Manila, and Laguna, which led to the safe rescue of four kidnapping victims including a Letran college student and the arrest of nine suspected kidnappers,….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsAug 6th, 2018

4 arrested for kidnapping fellow student

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – A 19-year-old Letran student was rescued from kidnappers demanding P30 million, the Philippine National Police (PNP) announced in a briefing on Monday, August 6. The victim, who refused to be named, was rescued last Friday, August 3, found squirming in a small room with his eyes ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 6th, 2018

Spain rescues nearly 500 migrants at sea in a single day

A man gives water to his child as they rest at the harbour of Tarifa on July 24, 2018, after an inflatable boat carrying 135 migrants was rescued by the Spanish coast guard in the Mediterranean. /.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsJul 25th, 2018

Gunmen kidnap 6 people in Zamboanga town

PAGADIAN CITY: Gunmen kidnapped six people, including an infant, from a farm in Sirawai town in Zamboanga del Norte, police said on Sunday. They said a group of bandits headed by Jamilon Tukalan was likely behind the kidnapping which happened on Thursda in San Nicolas village. The kidnappers demanded P400,000 ransom for the safe release… link: Gunmen kidnap 6 people in Zamboanga town.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJul 1st, 2018

Kidnappers demand P400K for family abducted in Zamboanga del Norte

PAGADIAN CITY -- The kidnappers of the family of six reported missing on Thursday have called a local official here, demanding a ransom of P400,000. PO3 Rashid Rivera, investigator at the Sirawai p.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsJul 1st, 2018

Whatever happens, Rhayyan Amsali will not play in NCAA Season 94

It’s final – Rhayyan Amsali is not eligible for San Beda High School for the upcoming NCAA Season 94 Juniors Basketball Tournament. The league’s eligibility meeting concluded on Friday and there, it was determined that with one failing grade, Amsali was unable to meet academic requirements. The 6-foot-3 forward, who had just transferred to San Beda from Nazareth School of National University, has been the talk of the town as he and his camp filed a complaint questioning his failing grade. Last Tuesday, the Amsalis, through Atty. Michelle Africa, forwarded a letter to NSNU stating that Rhayyan was belatedly informed that he had failed a subject. For their part, NSNU said that the Amsali camp, through mother Nurisa, had knowledge of the failing grade since early May. Now, the latest update in the issue is that the Department of Education is asking for clarification from NSNU about how “there was no intervention given to prevent Rhayyan from getting a failing grade before the school year ended. Furthermore, no effort was done by the people concerned to inform the parents about the child’s predicament.” (photo courtesy of DepEd) Whatever happens from this point, though, will not change the fact that the NCAA’s eligibility meeting is over and done with and there, Amsali was unable to get into San Beda’s lineup. Nonetheless, the 17-year-old said that he is set to stay in Taytay. “Kahit hindi ako maglalaro, nandito pa rin yung isip ko at yung heart ko sa team na ‘to. Susuportahan ko sila kahit anong mangyari,” he told reporters as he and the Red Cubs, serendipitously, downed the Bullpups in the semifinals of the 2018 Filoil Flying V Preseason Cup. This, even though it would mean that he now only has one playing year left in the NCAA Juniors. “Yung samahan po rito sa San Beda, iba e. Unang pagpunta ko pa lang dito, ang gaan na e,” he shared. --- Follow this writer on Twitter, @riegogogo......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 29th, 2018

Ellen Adarna no show at hearing for third time

For the third time in a row, model-turned-actress Ellen Adarna failed to show up again at the preliminary investigation for her child abuse and cybercrime complaints filed at the Pasig City Prosecutor’s office. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 27th, 2018

Despicable

It came off as a shock: The news that Dutch authorities have cracked a child sex ring in the Philippines offering babies, as young as five months, for online pedophiles. We have heard reports about syndicates offering young children to gratify the perversions of pedophiles, but babies! According to the reports, authorities have rescued five […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJun 24th, 2018

Family arrested for kids’ cyber sex in Malabon

Three children were rescued in Malabon Friday night from their family, who allegedly used them for child pornography......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 23rd, 2018

Dutch bust ‘made-to-order’ Philippine child sex gang

THE HAGUE — Dutch police said Thursday they helped crack a child sex abuse ring in the Philippines offering babies as young as five months for “made-to-order” online pedophilia cases. With the help of Australian officers, a Dutch policeman, who has been specially stationed in Manila to clampdown on child sex tourism, rescued 18 children [...] The post Dutch bust ‘made-to-order’ Philippine child sex gang appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJun 22nd, 2018

Former mayor’s ex-wife, daughter rescued from Abu Sayyaf

Government security forces have rescued the former wife and daughter of ex-Talipao mayor Tambrin Tulawie from their kidnappers......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 21st, 2018

China Cojuangco appeals to Instagram over violent threat on 4-year-old daughter

It's only natural for a mother to be protective towards her defenseless and innocent child. Such was the case recently for television host and socialite Regina Patricia Jose "China" Cojuangco, daughter of Jose "Peping" Cojuangco Jr. and Margarita "Tingting" delos Reyes Cojuangco, when she was alarmed over a private message sent to her by a netizen on her Instagram account. Cojuangco, who saved screenshots of the exchange, took to her Instagram page two days ago, June 16, to air out her grievances. Cojuangco, seemingly disappointed, addressed Instagram in her letter after her attempts to report the malicious netizen's account failed. In Cojuangco's screenshots, a netizen under t...Keep on reading: China Cojuangco appeals to Instagram over violent threat on 4-year-old daughter.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 18th, 2018