Advertisements


Caritas Philippines joins silent protest vs. extrajudicial killings - GMA News

Caritas Philippines joins silent protest vs. extrajudicial killings - GMA News.....»»

Category: newsSource: googlenews googlenewsDec 17th, 2016

Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurzbatch fires back at netizen on issue of EJK

Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach apologized after netizens criticized the beauty queen for her silence in the alleged extrajudicial killings in the Philippines. The issue started when some netizens commentedThe post Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurzbatch fires back at netizen on issue of EJK appeared first on DZRH News......»»

Category: newsSource:  dzrhnewsRelated NewsNov 7th, 2017

Stop the killings in the Philippines now!

More than a hundred women from different countries in Asia and the Pacific joined the 'BlackFriday protest against extrajudicial killings in the Philippines held last September 8, 2017, in Chiangmai, Thailand......»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 9th, 2017

Baguio joins nationwide protest against tyranny

BAGUIO CITY — The afternoon rain did not stop Baguio protesters from staging a march rally in response to the call for a national day of protest against extrajudicial killings, martial law and tyranny on September 21, the 45th anniversary of the declaration of martial law in the country......»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsSep 24th, 2017

Abella calls 7,000 extrajudicial killings fake news

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte’s spokesperson on Friday called reports of nearly 9,000 drug-related deaths “false news,” months after media.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 21st, 2017

Two witnesses testify on extrajudicial killings

MANILA, Philippines (Philippines News Agency) – Two relatives of suspected drug pushers who were killed in police operations.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 22nd, 2016

Palace: Church has right to protest

INQUIRER FILE PHOTO/JOAN BONDOC DAVAO CITY, Philippines--Malaca?ang yesterday shrugged off a Catholic Church campaign to drum up support for an end to what it called extrajudicial killings in connecti.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsJul 24th, 2016

Australian professor Gill Boehringer, 84, blocked entry from Philippines over 2015 protest - NEWS.com.au

Australian professor Gill Boehringer, 84, blocked entry from Philippines over 2015 protest - NEWS.com.au.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsAug 9th, 2018

Duterte asks God: Let EJK victims go to heaven

MANILA, Philippines – As he opened Mindanao's largest drug rehabilitation center, President Rodrigo Duterte said he has asked God to make sure victims of extrajudicial killings (EJKs) go to heaven. "You enjoy your human rights there in heaven kasi (because) God promised you that victims of ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 3rd, 2018

Pictures capture last week’s SONA protests in US cities

Hundreds of protesters staged their own United People's State of the Nation Address (SONA) in various cities in the United States to counter the alleged lies that Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte was going to say in his own SONA. Organized by MALAYA Movement with groups like Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance (APALA), Friends of Akbayan Party-list, Migrante, Gabriela, International Coalition for Human Rights in the Philippines (ICHRP), protesters slammed alleged continued human rights abuses, extrajudicial killings (EJK), the administration's push to change the Constitution, Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion (TRAIN), and various actions signifying the emergence ...Keep on reading: Pictures capture last week’s SONA protests in US cities.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 30th, 2018

Don t blame Duterte admin for killings of mayors, vice mayors – Roque

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang said the recent spate of killings of mayors and vice mayors cannot be blamed on the Duterte administration and its anti-drugs campaign. "Panahon pa po ni GMA (Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo), may problema na tayo sa extrajudicial killings so hindi po masisisi sa war on drugs ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 12th, 2018

NUJP’s 10TH GA marked by protest vs media killings

QUEZON CITY — Despite the rains, participants to the 10th congress of the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) staged a black Friday protest to condemn the latest media killing under the Duterte administration......»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsJun 10th, 2018

ICC to inquire on raps vs Rody

ROQUE: MERE PROCESS TO DETERMINE BASIS President Duterte intends to defend himself, “if need be,” on the crimes against humanity charges that his opponents filed against him before The Hague-based International Criminal Court (ICC), presidential spokesman Harry Roque said yesterday. Roque, an international law expert, explained that the ICC’s recognition was simply a proceeding to determine if the case has basis to proceed or not.Roque said Malacañang has received ICC’s notice for a “preliminary examination” on the complaints filed by the lawyer of self-confessed Davao Death Squad (DDS) assassin Edgar Matobato, who is under the care of Duterte’s chief critic Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV.Roque said the 72-year-old Chief Executive is ready to submit himself before the proceedings once he is summoned to The Hague.“The President and I met about this extensively for two hours last night. The President welcomes the preliminary examination because he is sick and tired of being accused,” Roque told reporters. “Obviously, this is intended to embarrass the president. They will fail. The President said that if need be, he will argue his case before the ICC,” he added.Matobato’s counsel Jude Sabio, in April last year, submitted to the ICC a petition against Mr. Duterte on the basis of his apparent admission of “killing” suspected drug traffickers and criminals in Davao City when he was still its Mayor.By June, Trillanes and Magdalo Partylist Rep. Gary Alejano filed a supplemental complaint against the Chief Executive also at the ICC. The complaint is based on the series of extrajudicial killings attributed to the Duterte administration’s narcotics crackdown.Sabio, in a text message, claimed that the given development is already a victory on their end.“I feel so elated and vindicated. Finally, Mr. Duterte and his cohorts will face criminal investigation by the ICC prosecutor as a prelude to formal criminal investigation,” Sabio said. “It is a huge triumph toward justice. Duterte’s system of death squad killings that he continued in his war on drugs will be investigated and hopefully an arrest warrant will be issued against him and justice will be done,” he added.“I am confident that, based on my communication, as well as that of Sen. Trillanes’ and (Magdalo) Rep. (Gary) Alejano’s, we will hurdle this first big step, and hopefully a warrant of arrest will be issued soon by the ICC against Duterte and his cohorts,” he added. Critics overjoyedTrillanes, for his part, claimed that the ICC’s recognition of their complaint should remind Mr. Duterte that he is not above the law.“This development should jolt Duterte into realizing that he is not above the law. More importantly, this is the first step for the victims’ families’ quest for justice,” the senator said.But Roque said Trillanes and his group should not celebrate yet.“No one should claim victory… If they think the President has been indicted, they are so wrong,” he said.“There will be no formal investigation to be conducted in the country because at the level of the preliminary examination, where the Court does not include the budget for the prosecutor to come to the Philippines because it is not yet a preliminary investigation,” he said.“Now the objective is to determine if there is reasonable basis to proceed with the formal investigation,” he added.In Sabio’s complaint addressed to ICC chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda, he said that the international criminal court’s action “would... be the beginning of the end of this dark, obscene, murderous and evil era in the Philippines.”“Crimes against humanity are crimes of universal jurisdiction, but where a State like the Philippines fails to assume such universal jurisdiction for crimes against humanity continuously being committed in its very own territory, then the International Criminal Court will have to intervene into a situation that is grave by any human standard,” Sabio said.“The grim statistics of more than 7,000 drug-related killings cannot be anything but grave, especially if viewed in the context of just seven months since Rodrigo Duterte became the President, compared to only about 3,000 committed during the 20-year Marcos regime. These more than 7,000 drug-related killings translate to roughly 1,000 killings per month,” he added.Two other opposition senators urged Malacañang, instead of criticizing this development, to deal with the issues being hurled at the President.“That shouldn’t come as a surprise considering the magnitude of deaths reaching thousands upon thousands in less than two years,” Sen. Francis “Kiko” Pangilinan.“This is the chance for the government to answer the accusations raised against them. There is no reason to be afraid if the administration is not hiding anything,” Sen. Bam Aquino said.Aquino said this should be a welcome opportunity for the administration to make their case to an unbiased and globally respected tribunal. Villarin wants Roque charged, tooAkbayan Rep Tom Villarin said the entry of the ICC into the issues raised against Duterte gives hope to the thousands killed under the latter’s war on drugs. “It is a welcome development and gives hope to thousands of EJK (extra judicial killings) victims that finally justice will be served,” Villarin said.“This will also hold President Duterte and other top officials involved in the bloody war against drugs accountable as well as it gives us an opportunity to implead other enablers of EJKs, including possibly Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque,” Villarin added.While the Akbayan lawmaker said that the investigation may not lead to Duterte’s puster, he said that it will be damning and damaging to his administration in the eyes of our people and the international community.“I am hopeful that people will now realize the truth and demand accountability from him with all constitutional options available,” Villarin said.Alejano said that the preliminary examination will determine whether there is sufficient evidence to warrant an investigation. “I hope that the preliminary examination will be allowed to carry on – unhindered and with full cooperation from concerned authorities, organizations, and personalities,” Alejano, one of those who brought the EJK issue before the ICC, said.“I am confident on the communication we sent to the ICC and strongly believe that President Duterte and those who perpetuate and defend this policy of killing should be held accountable before the law,” Alejano said. Angie M. Rosales, Gerry Baldo.....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJun 7th, 2018

Duterte sparks outrage with misogynist kiss

After US president Barack Obama said he would raise extrajudicial killings in a meeting with Duterte, the Philippines President responded angrily on September 5, first in English then in Tagalog. A.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsJun 5th, 2018

More than 100 dead as Bangladesh drug war escalates

DHAKA, Bangladesh – More than 100 alleged drug dealers have been killed and thousands detained in Bangladesh in the past fortnight in a Philippines-style narcotics crackdown that has raised concerns about extrajudicial killings. Police said 10 more alleged traffickers were gunned down in the early hours of Tuesday, May 29, some ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 29th, 2018

Faces of the News: Antonio Carpio

The acting Chief Justice has become a dissenting voice in the wilderness in the fight for Philippine sovereignty over some islands in the Spratlys amid the government's acquiescence to China's militarization in the disputed waterway. "Any self-respecting sovereign state will immediately formally protest such encroachment on its sovereignty and sovereign rights. The Philippines must do no less," Carpio said after Beijing deployed nuclear strike-capable planes in the Paracels. Soon, he said, Beijing may land long-range bomber planes on Philippine-claimed Panganiban, Zamora and Kagitingan Reefs. President Rodrigo Duterte had earlier stressed the need to "remain meek and humble"...Keep on reading: Faces of the News: Antonio Carpio.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 26th, 2018

Kuwait summons PH envoy over alleged OFW rescue

MANILA, Philippines – Kuwait's Ministry of Foreign Affairs summoned the Philippine ambassador, handing him two protest notes, following a video purportedly showing embassy officials rescuing Filipino domestic workers from Kuwaiti homes. According to the state-run Kuwait News Agency, a source from the ministry said the notes were "related to recent remarks ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 22nd, 2018

EJKs still chief human rights concern in PH, says U.S.

MANILA, Philippines – A report from the State Department of the United States noted that in 2017 – a year after the Duterte administration launched its "drug war" – extrajudicial killings (EJKs) continued to be the main human rights concern in the Philippines. In its Country Reports on Human Rights Practices 2017 for the ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 22nd, 2018

Drug war killings still hound Philippines – US

Extrajudicial killings fueled largely by the Duterte administration’s anti-drugs campaign persisted in 2017 with many of the cases not investigated and their perpetrators remaining unpunished, the US State Department said in a report......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 21st, 2018

U.S. State Dep t report: EJKs still chief human rights concern in PH

MANILA, Philippines – A report from the State Department of the United States noted that in 2017 – a year after the Duterte administration launched its "drug war" – extrajudicial killings (EJKs) continued to be the main human rights concern in the Philippines. In its Country Reports on Human Rights Practices 2017 for the ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 21st, 2018

Malacañang tells EU Parliament to be prudent in issuing resolutions

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang decried as "interference" the European Parliament's latest resolution calling for a stop to alleged extrajudicial killings in the Philippines and called on the body to be more careful in issuing resolutions. "We thus call on members of the European Parliament to exercise prudence ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 20th, 2018