Advertisements


Canada woman breaks silence on PM groping allegation

OTTAWA: A former journalist broke her silence on Friday to stand by her allegation that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau groped her nearly two decades ago, when he was not politically involved. “I issue this statement reluctantly, in response to mounting media pressure to confirm that I was the reporter who was the subject of the [...] The post Canada woman breaks silence on PM groping allegation appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource: manilatimes_net manilatimes_netJul 7th, 2018

Canada woman breaks silence on PM groping allegation

OTTAWA: A former journalist broke her silence on Friday to stand by her allegation that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau groped her nearly two decades ago, when he was not politically involved. “I issue this statement reluctantly, in response to mounting media pressure to confirm that I was the reporter who was the subject of the [...] The post Canada woman breaks silence on PM groping allegation appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJul 7th, 2018

Trump breaks silence on latest scandals, hits Democrat accused of groping

WASHINGTON, United States – After days of relative silence about a series of sexual misconduct scandals roiling the United States, President Donald Trump weighed in Thursday, November 16, bashing a leading Democrat now under investigation. Trump took to Twitter to hit out at Senator Al Franken, who, it emerged earlier in ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsNov 17th, 2017

JONES CUP: Blue Eagles torch Chinese-Taipei White

Ateneo de Manila University made a stellar debut as the Blue Eagles dominated host team Chinese-Taipei White, 87-64, Sunday in the 2018 William Jones Cup. The reigning UAAP champions jumped to an early double-digit cushion to silence the young home squad, which was forced to settle on their outside shooting with the Blue Eagles clamping down on defense down low. Thirdy Ravena displayed an impressive performance to lead Ateneo with 17 points, seven rebounds, three steals and a block. Six-foot-10 Ivorian Angelo Kouame lorded over the boards with 18 rebounds on top of his 15 markers while Jolo Mendoza and Isaac Go added 11 and 10 markers, respectively, for the Blue Eagles. Ateneo pounded the paint with 42 points and outrebounded the Chinese-Taipei developmental team, which is composed of players with an average age of 20-years old, 53-34. The Blue Eagles opened a 48-33 advantage at halftime behind their choking defense, forcing Chinese-Taipei to commit turnovers that Ateneo converted into fastbreak points.   Raffy Verano pushed Ateneo’s lead to 60-42 with 4:27 in the third quarter before Tyler Tio all but settled the game with a jumper as the Blue Eagles’ advantage ballooned to 77-55 with five minutes left in the ball game. Oscar Kao, who was held scoreless in Chinese-Taipei’s 73-83 loss to Canada, exploded with 16 points while Chun Chi-Lin and Tin-Chien Lin had 15 and 12 markers, respectively, for the winless home squad.   BOX SCORE: PHI (87) –- Ravena 17, Kouame 15, Mendoza 11, Go 10, Mt. Nieto 8, Verano 8, Mamuyac 4, Tio 4, Mi. Nieto 3, Asistio 3, Black 2, Navarro 2. ROC II (64) –- Kao 16, Chi-Lin 15, Chien-Lin 12, Kuan-Yi 8, Chen 7, Wang 3, Wu 2, Chien 1, Lai 0, Lu 0, Sun 0, Hsu 0. Quarter scores: 26-20, 48-33, 67-52, 87-64       .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJul 15th, 2018

Woman says Trudeau apologized after ‘inappropriate’ incident

CALGARY, Alberta, Canada --- A former newspaper reporter said that Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau apologized to her after what she says was an inappropriate encounter nearly two decades ago. Rose Knight also confirmed Friday she is the reporter who was referred to in an editorial 18 years ago in the Creston Valley Advance that said she was groped by Trudeau while covering a music festival in British Columbia. She said in a statement that she doesn't plan to take the matter further. "I enjoyed my career as a reporter, but it ended a long time ago. I avoided issuing a statement earlier out of concern for my and my family's privacy," she wrote. "The incident referred to...Keep on reading: Woman says Trudeau apologized after ‘inappropriate’ incident.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 8th, 2018

LOOK: Thon Maker breaks silence on Philippine Arena brawl

Australian center Thon Maker has taken full responsibility for his actions in the bench-clearing brawl between Gilas Pilipinas and Australia at the Philippine Arena. The 7-1 Maker was among the primary protagonists in the brawl which saw nine players from the Philippine side get thrown out and four from the Australian side ejected, including the 21-year old center who also plays for the Milwaukee Bucks. Much like Terrence Romeo, Maker, who was born in Sudan, defended his actions in the game, which saw him soar to the center of the action with a flying knee and even chased the newly-acquired TNT point guard with a lunge after Romeo hit him with a cheap shot. pic.twitter.com/QMX3J5u6fT — Thon Maker ™ (@ThonMaker14) July 3, 2018 "I am deeply disappointed in the actions displayed during yesterday's game against the Philippines," Maker said on his Twitter account. "Being from a war-torn country, basketball for me has always ben a means to bring people together. I feel a great responsibility as an NBA players to carry myself in a way that promotes peace and unity." He also stressed the need for better security measures in these kinds of games, which saw some spectators join the free-for-all, wherein a padded chair was thrown at a player, another one was ganged up, among others. "I take responsibilty for my actions knowing that they were a result of MY DESIRE to protect my teammates and myself. It is a tremendous honor to represent Australia, Milwaukee Bucks and the NBA and my goal is to reflect that in my conduct and play," the statement concludes. FIBA has announced that has opened up its investigation on the incident, which is one of the biggest on-court incidents in recent basketball memory. __   Follow this writer on Twitter, @philipptionary......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJul 3rd, 2018

Filipino woman killed in hit-and-run in Toronto

A Filipino immigrant was killed after she was struck by a pickup truck in Toronto, Ontario. On Monday afternoon, Isabel Soria, 50, who had lived in Canada for 18 years, was on her way to a branch o.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJun 15th, 2018

Donald Trump breaks silence on Roseanne race row, attacks ABC

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Wednesday broke his silence about the racism row engulfing supporter Roseanne Barr, not to condemn her outburst but to attack ABC television for purported media bias. The post Donald Trump breaks silence on Roseanne race row, attacks ABC appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsMay 31st, 2018

Atom Araullo breaks silence after Citizen Jake director s tirades

MANILA, Philippines – Journalist-turned-movie-actor Atom Araullo broke his silence on Wednesday, May 30 – more than a week after director Mike de Leon said on Facebook that the Citizen Jake star "disappointed him... not as an actor but as a person." On his personal Facebook account, Atom said he deliberately chose ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 30th, 2018

Seth Rogen in talks to replace Morgan Freeman as voice of Vancouver transit amid controversy

Vancouver's transit system has announced plans to pull a public announcement campaign that used Morgan Freeman's voice following allegations of sexual assault which surfaced Thursday. But Vancouverites won't be left in the lurch: looks like homegrown Hollywood star Seth Rogen could fill the silence. Freeman had lent his iconic voice to the city's Translink system as part of a campaign with VISA Canada. As of next month, commuters and riders at select SkyTrain stations and bus routes throughout the city were to hear Freeman reminding them about new mobile payment features and to mind their manners. But on Thursday, following an explosive report from CNN in which severa...Keep on reading: Seth Rogen in talks to replace Morgan Freeman as voice of Vancouver transit amid controversy.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 27th, 2018

Jet Li breaks silence on shocking photo

Martial arts superstar Jet Li Lianjie has taken to Facebook to allay fears of fans that he was in ill health after shocking recent photos revealed the extent of his hyperthyroidism and spinal problems, according to a report in The South China Morning Post......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 24th, 2018

Intoxicated airline passenger arrested for peeing on seat, harassing 2 women

A 45-year-old man aboard a Frontier Airlines flight from Denver, Colorado, to Charleston, South Carolina, was arrested for groping a woman and publicly peeing on his seat. One witness named Emily recalled that the man, identified as Michael Allen Haag, allegedly groped a woman he was seated next to. This was first reported by KDVR on Sunday. Emily remembered the woman scream "...[I]f this man f***ing touches me one more time I'll f***ing kill him" when she was touched by Haag."She said that he ordered two double shots of vodka, so four drinks while they were sitting there." The woman said that Haag was asking her personal questions, while he was looking at her chest and legs...Keep on reading: Intoxicated airline passenger arrested for peeing on seat, harassing 2 women.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 23rd, 2018

PEZA tries to soothe investors spooked by tax

THE WOMAN tasked to lure investment to Philippine economic zones is seeking to calm investors spooked by a government proposal to scale back tax incentives. The Finance department plans to take away tax breaks given to businesses, valued at over P300 billion ($5.8 billion) a year or about two percent of gross domestic product. Charito […] The post PEZA tries to soothe investors spooked by tax appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsApr 30th, 2018

Tourism’s Teo breaks silence on P60-M ad on brothers’ TV show

TOURISM Secretary Wanda Tulfo-Teo broke her silence on Monday on the controversy surrounding her office placement of an advertisement on her brothers’ television show aired on government-run PTV 4, debunking claims that she was incompetent. “I don’t think this is incomptence on my part. As a secretary of Tourism, ang dami kong ginagawa. Hindi lang [...] The post Tourism’s Teo breaks silence on P60-M ad on brothers’ TV show appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsApr 30th, 2018

‘Pro-China’ question in civil service exam: CSC breaks silence

The Civil Service Commission has acknowledged the complaint of a civil service exam taker who aired her disdain for a test item that seemed to favor China on the maritime dispute in the West Philippine Sea. “We would regard and take this instance as a sign for us to be more circumspect in constructing test […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsApr 20th, 2018

Julia Barretto breaks silence on alleged split with Joshua Garcia

Kapamilya actress Julia Barretto finally came out to speak about her alleged breakup with rumored boyfriend Joshua Garcia......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 19th, 2018

Trump breaks silence, claims no knowledge of porn star payment

Trump breaks silence, claims no knowledge of porn star payment.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 6th, 2018

Guevarra is new DOJ Secretary, Galvez is next AFP Chief, Trump on Daniels | Midday wRap

Today on Rappler: Senior Deputy Executive Secretary Menardo Guevarra is sworn in as Justice Secretary following the resignation of Vitaliano Aguirre.  Western Mindanao Command Chief Carlito Galvez Jr will be the next Armed Forces chief.  United States President Donald Trump breaks his silence on allegations he had sex with a porn star, insisting he did not pay $130,000 hush money through his lawyer......»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 6th, 2018

Trump breaks silence, claims no knowledge of porn star payment

WASHINGTON, D.C.: US President Donald Trump on Thursday broke a two month silence about allegations he had sex with a porn star, insisting that he did not pay her $130,000 hush money through his lawyer. After weeks of dodging questions about the alleged tryst, Trump offered a flat “no” when asked if he knew about [...] The post Trump breaks silence, claims no knowledge of porn star payment appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsApr 6th, 2018

Venus, Halep win, Wozniacki upset at Indian Wells

By Beth Harris, Associated Press INDIAN WELLS, Calif. (AP) — Venus Williams defeated Anastasija Sevastova of Latvia 7-6 (8), 6-4 to reach the quarterfinals of the BNP Paribas Open on Tuesday as the oldest woman in the draw. The 37-year-old American was coming off a straight-set victory over younger sister Serena a night earlier, ending a three-match skid against her sibling. "It was a quick turnaround from last night when it feels like, 'Hey, this is a final to you're only in the fourth round,'" Williams said on court. Playing under cloudy skies in 80-degree heat, Williams had her hands full with Sevastova, who used drop shots, top spin, lobs and jerked her 10-years-older opponent side to side. "There were some points where she just played and it was too good," Williams said. "I thought I was in control of the point and winning the point, and she turned it around. It's just real talent." After early losses in her first two tournaments of the year, Williams hasn't dropped a set at Indian Wells, where she has yet to reach the final in six previous appearances. Awaiting Williams in the quarterfinals is 27th-seeded Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain, who beat American wild card Danielle Collins 6-2, 6-4. Simona Halep is on track to retain her No. 1 world ranking after defeating Wang Qiang of China 7-5, 6-1 in the fourth round. Halep is the only former Indian Wells winner left in the women's draw after No. 20 Daria Kasatkina upset No. 2 Caroline Wozniacki 6-4, 7-5. Wozniacki blew a 3-0 lead in the first set and was on the run most of the match before losing for the second time this year to the 20-year-old Russian. "She outsmarted me," Wozniacki said. By reaching the quarterfinals, Kasatkina is projected to surpass her career-best ranking of 17th. She has beaten all four current Grand Slam titleholders in the past year, including U.S. Open winner Sloane Stephens in straight sets this week. "I'm playing best matches against the best players," Kasatkina said. "But as I say, if you want to be on the top, you have to beat the top players. So quite simple rule." Halep improved to 17-1 this year and needs only to reach the final to stay at the top. Next up for Halep is Petra Martic of Croatia, who beat Marketa Vondrousova of the Czech Republic 6-3, 7-6 (4). American teenager Amanda Anisimova's run of success ended in a 6-1, 7-6 (2) loss to No. 5 seed Karolina Pliskova of the Czech Republic. Anisimova, a 16-year-old wild card, won her first three WTA Tour matches at Indian Wells, beating Pauline Parmentier, No. 23 seed Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and two-time Wimbledon winner Petra Kvitova without dropping a set. "She's 16, so she's not scared," Pliskova said of Anisimova. "You can see she's hitting the ball without thinking. But everybody is playing like this when they are 16. I think this will change a little bit in the future, but for sure the game is good and not really any weakness. I think everything is pretty solid." Pliskova faces a quarterfinal against Naomi Osaka, who beat Maria Sakkari of Greece 6-1, 5-7, 6-1. Halep attended Venus Williams' straight-set victory over 36-year-old sister and new mother Serena on Monday night. "I love the way that they are motivated and they are still playing at this age, Serena with the kid," Halep said. "It's a great thing what they do for sport, and it's great that tennis has them. I have many things to learn from them. That's why I'm trying just to go in to watch every time I can." On the men's side, Gael Monfils retired in the second set with a back injury trailing fellow Frenchman Pierre-Hughes Herbert 6-2, 3-1. Monfils used an eight-minute injury timeout in the second set to get his back worked on before returning to the court and getting broken in fourth game. He then walked to the net and ended the match. Herbert moved on to a fourth-round matchup with Philipp Kohlschreiber of Germany, who upset No. 2 seed Marin Cilic 6-4, 6-4. Cilic won 19 of 23 points on his first serve, but failed to convert four break points against 31st-seeded Kohlschreiber, who snapped a 12-match skid against top-10 opponents. Herbert remains in contention for the $1 million bonus offered to a player who sweeps the singles and doubles titles. No. 6 Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina defeated No. 29 David Ferrer of Spain 6-4, 7-6 (3) for the fifth straight time. With Cilic, Ferrer, Novak Djokovic, Monfils and John Isner all eliminated from his quarter of the draw, things are looking wide open for del Potro, the 2009 U.S. Open champion. Top-ranked Roger Federer and del Potro are the highest seeds remaining. "I'm not thinking about that. I just want to keep winning," del Potro said. "Still far away from the final, but of course, any chance to play with Roger would be great." Del Potro's countryman, Leonardo Mayer, beat Japanese qualifier Taro Daniel 6-4, 6-1. Mayer next plays del Potro. No. 18 Sam Querrey rallied past Indian qualifier Yuki Bhambri 6-7 (7), 6-4, 6-4 and will play No. 28 Feliciano Lopez of Spain. He spoiled a potential all-American quarterfinal by beating No. 8 Jack Sock 7-6 (8), 4-6, 6-4. No. 32 Milos Raonic of Canada defeated Joao Sousa of Portugal 7-5, 4-6, 6-2 and will meet Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus, who beat lucky loser Dudi Sela of Israel 7-6 (7), 6-4......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMar 14th, 2018

Lisa Bonet says TV father Bill Cosby gave off a ‘sinister’ energy

NEW YORK (AP) --- Lisa Bonet has broken her silence about her former TV father Bill Cosby, saying she isn't surprised he's facing sexual misconduct allegations and claiming he gave off a "sinister" energy. Bonet says in an interview with Net-a-Porter's Porter magazine that she wasn't aware of any inappropriate behavior by Cosby on "The Cosby Show" and "A Different World," though she sensed "darkness." "There was just energy. And that type of sinister, shadow energy cannot be concealed," she says. Cosby faces a retrial on charges he drugged and molested a woman in 2004. Prosecutors describe him as a serial predator. Bonet and Cosby clashed over her starring in the R-rated ...Keep on reading: Lisa Bonet says TV father Bill Cosby gave off a ‘sinister’ energy.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 11th, 2018