Advertisements


Bishop fears crackdown amid Australian nun s detention

MANILA, Philippines – Manila Auxiliary Bishop Broderick Pabillo said he fears a crackdown on government critics after the Bureau of Immigration (BI) on Monday, April 16, detained an Australian nun known for promoting farmers' rights and opposing extrajudicial killings (EJKs). Pabillo, who visited detained Sister Patricia Fox ........»»

Category: newsSource: rappler rapplerApr 17th, 2018

Bishops, Palace trade barbs over Sister Fox’s detention

  Catholic bishops on Thursday slammed President Duterte for being overly sensitive to criticism and for ordering the investigation of Australian missionary Sister Patricia Fox.   The bishops made the remarks as the Commission on Human Rights said that Fox may have been arrested without basis since she had been working in the country for 27 years and had a missionary visa that was valid until Sept. 9.   Manila Auxiliary Bishop Broderick Pabillo said the nun's detention and the government's threat to deport her showed that the President was incapable of taking criticism.   Hacienda Luisita protest   "He just cannot take criticism [al...Keep on reading: Bishops, Palace trade barbs over Sister Fox’s detention.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 20th, 2018

Palace: No crackdown on anti-Duterte activists

There is no crackdown on foreigners deemed critical of the Duterte administration, Malacañang said yesterday as it dismissed as mere enforcement of the law the detention of an elderly Australian missionary and the deportation of an Italian activist recently......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 19th, 2018

Thousands protest Australia s refugee detention policy

SYDNEY, Australia – Thousands of people marched across major Australian cities Saturday, July 21, calling for an end to Canberra's offshore detention of asylum-seekers. The government sends anyone who tries to enter the country by sea to camps on Papua New Guinea's Manus Island or on Nauru in the Pacific for processing. Protestors took to ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated News7 hr. 54 min. ago

Bishop urges OFWs: Continue to pray for Duterte

The head of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines – Episcopal Commission on Migrants and Itinerant People (CBCP-ECMI) has called on overseas Filipino workers to continue to pray for President Duterte amid and despite his attacks on the Catholic Church. Bishop urges OFWs: Continue to pray for Duterte The head of the Catholic Bishops’… link: Bishop urges OFWs: Continue to pray for Duterte.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJul 17th, 2018

Chelsea fires manager Antonio Conte after 2 years in charge

By Steve Douglas, Associated Press Antonio Conte's protracted divorce from Chelsea was finalized on Friday when he was fired after a two-year tenure in which he won the English Premier League and FA Cup but failed to gain the power he craved at the London club. Chelsea began a terse, four-sentence statement on its website, "Chelsea Football Club and Antonio Conte have parted company." Leaving Stamford Bridge was always the likely outcome for Conte following a season in which Chelsea missed out on Champions League qualification after a fifth-place league finish, 30 points behind champion Manchester City. The Italian coach regularly grumbled about his failure to exert control, particularly over transfers. Contrast that to the end of his first season at the club, where Conte was feted for leading Chelsea to the league title by seven points after a record-breaking run of 13 straight wins in the middle of the season, sparked by an inspired and bold change of formation. Conte took preseason training this week at Chelsea's practice base in Cobham with players who hadn't featured at the World Cup, but reports emerged in the Italian media on Thursday saying Conte had been fired. That speculation only intensified when Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas and former Chelsea captain John Terry paid tribute to Conte on social media. "Thank you boss," Terry wrote on Twitter. "Great man, Great manager. I wish you every success in the future." The club's 64-word announcement was eventually made on Friday, ending with: "We wish Antonio every success in his future career." Conte still had a year left on a revised deal he signed last summer after delivering the fifth Premier League title since Roman Abramovich bought Chelsea in 2003. Only the pay was improved, though, with Conte's contract still running for just another two seasons — hardly a show of commitment by either the club or its manager. The Italian's main gripe for the past year was Chelsea's failure to land the signings he really wanted for its Premier League title defense. Chelsea was beaten to the signing of Romelu Lukaku by Manchester United and then Fernando Llorente by Tottenham, for example. "The club decides every player," he moaned last season. Winning the FA Cup by beating Manchester United at Wembley Stadium in May — and getting one over his great managerial rival, Jose Mourinho — proved to be Conte's last hurrah and maintained his record of winning a trophy every season he has been in charge of Juventus — where he won the Serie A for four straight years — and Chelsea. Chelsea seeks a 13th permanent manager under Abramovich's ownership, and at possibly the most turbulent period of the Russian billionaire's trophy-filled reign. It emerged in May that Abramovich had yet to have his British visa renewed amid a crackdown by authorities on associates of Russian President Vladimir Putin. Chelsea also halted plans to redevelop Stamford Bridge, citing an unfavorable climate to invest in the 500 million pound ($665 million) project. Conte leaves amid reports in the British and Italian media that former Napoli coach Maurizio Sarri will take over at Chelsea for next season. Sarri's future has been up in the air since Napoli hired Carlo Ancelotti as its new coach in May. Sarri spent three years at the club and led it to two runner-up finishes and a third place, playing an entertaining and high-energy brand of football like that seen at Man City under Pep Guardiola, Tottenham under Mauricio Pochettino, and Liverpool under Juergen Klopp. Sarri didn't win a major title at Napoli, however, and that would not be tolerated at Chelsea. As Conte and many of his predecessors have learned, even winning trophies is no guarantee of job security at Chelsea under Abramovich......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJul 13th, 2018

Cebu Archbishop Appeals for Calm Amid Shooting Incident

Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma urged the faithful to calm down amid the shooting incident which resulted in the death of a man inside the Archbishop’s Palace Tuesday morning. In an interview, Cebu Auxiliary Bishop Dennis Villarojo said Palma also asked the public not to speculate as the authorities are now investigating the case. “He appealed […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsJul 11th, 2018

Pope fears for Christian presence in Middle East

BARI, Italy – Pope Francis on Saturday, July 7 voiced concern that Christians will disappear from the Middle East amid "murderous indifference," as church leaders from Syria and Lebanon called on Western states to help return Syrian refugees. The Argentine Pope was addressing the leaders of almost all the Middle ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 7th, 2018

FOREX-Dollar takes breather as trade concerns linger, yuan remains in focus

Dollar softer amid lingering trade war fears China central bank to keep yuan stable, helping cool-off market Canada dollar gains on manufacturing data, higher oil prices Mexico peso jumps on soothing words from president-elect U.S. holiday could keep trading thinner TOKYO, July 4 (Reuters) – Major currencies marked time on Wednesday while the Chinese yuan […].....»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJul 4th, 2018

Australian archbishop sentenced to a year’s detention over sex abuse cover up

SYDNEY — An Australian archbishop was sentenced to a year in detention on Tuesday for concealing child sexual abuse by a priest, but will remain on bail while his suitability for home detention is determined. Philip Wilson, 67, the most senior Catholic cleric in the world convicted of concealing child sex abuse, was ordered to be assessed by prison authorities for home detention, instead of jail, and will face court […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsJul 3rd, 2018

Australian archbishop gets 12 months for concealing child abuse

SYDNEY, Australia – One of the highest-ranked church officials convicted of covering up child sex abuse was Tuesday, July 3, sentenced to 12 months' imprisonment, but Philip Wilson could avoid jail after a court ordered he be assessed for home detention. The Adelaide archbishop, 67, was found guilty in May ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 3rd, 2018

Makabayan bloc calls for probe into crackdown on foreign missionaries

The House of Representatives’ Makabayan bloc on Monday denounced the detention of a missionary from Zimbabwe and the retention of passports of two other foreign missionaries......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 2nd, 2018

Albayalde orders crackdown on unauthorized police escorts

PHILIPPINE National Police chief, Director General Oscar D. Albayalde has ordered a full stop to all unauthorized police motorcycle escorts amid the discovery of a tourist ‘escort-for-a-fee’ racket involving ‘wang-wang’ using police and civilian traffic enforcers in Metro Manila particularly at the Ninoy Aquino International Airports. “Stop it and arrest….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsJun 27th, 2018

Broadway stars to rally against migrant family separations

NEW YORK, USA – Some of Broadway's biggest stars on Monday, June 25 announced a benefit concert to support efforts to reunite families amid US President Donald Trump's controversial crackdown on migrants at the border with Mexico.The singers and actors will perform Saturday, June 30 at The Cooper ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 26th, 2018

PNP to continue crackdown vs. tambays amid criticism

The Philippine National Police (PNP) will continue its strict crackdown against "tambays," police chief Dir. Gen. Oscar D. Albayalde said on Monday as he maintained that they did not misinterpret President Rodrigo Duterte's directive on loiterers. While noting the death of Genesis "Tisoy" Argoncillo was unfortunate, Albayalde said the campaign, which supposedly enforces local ordinances on peace and order, did not target mere loiterers. "Let me clearly emphasize that there was never any misinterpretation of our President's (Rodrigo Dutere) earlier directive to the PNP to do everything within the bounds of the law," Albayalde said in a press briefing at Camp Crame in Quezon City. ...Keep on reading: PNP to continue crackdown vs. tambays amid criticism.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 25th, 2018

US Navy planning new camps to support immigration crackdown – report

WASHINGTON, D.C.: The US Navy plans to build sprawling detention centers for tens of thousands of immigrants on remote bases in support of President Donald Trump’s “zero tolerance” policy against unlawful migration, a report said Friday. According to a draft memo obtained by Time magazine, the navy plans to build “temporary and austere” tent cities [...] The post US Navy planning new camps to support immigration crackdown – report appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsJun 23rd, 2018

U.S. Navy planning new camps to support immigration crackdown – report

WASHINGTON, United States – The US Navy plans to build sprawling detention centers for tens of thousands of immigrants on remote bases in support of President Donald Trump's "zero tolerance" policy against unlawful migration , a report said Friday, June 22. According to a draft memo obtained by Time magazine, the ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 23rd, 2018

Congestion at police stations worries PNP

“Most of them (violators of ordinances) are not put in jails or detention facilities of police stations. They are allowed to stay in the offices because they cannot be accommodated anymore.” Amid its intensified campaign against loiterers throughout the country, the Philippine National Police (PNP) is facing a dilemma of congesting stations with those apprehended […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJun 22nd, 2018

Ejercito urges PNP to clarify guidelines on anti-tambay drive

Amid continued fears of possible human rights violations, Senator JV Ejercito called on the Philippine National Police (PNP) on Thursday to come up with guidelines before enforcing its 'anti-t.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsJun 21st, 2018

Ejercito urges PNP to clarify guidelines on ‘anti-tambay’ drive

https://youtu.be/OdP8EYrjWmM Amid continued fears of possible human rights violations, Senator JV Ejercito called on the Philippine National Police (PNP) on Thursday to come up with guidelines before enforcing its "anti-tambay" campaign.   Ejercito noted the arrests of loiterers immediately after President Rodrigo Duterte's warning against them.   "Siguro dapat i-clarify ng PNP 'yung guidelines. Dapat meron silang guidelines in the first place. Kasi parang noong nagbigay ng order ang Pangulo, agad-agad nilang inimplement without informing the public about the guidelines; so ano ba ang bawal, ano ba ang hindi? Kung ikaw man ay isang ordinaryong mamayan, ordinaryon...Keep on reading: Ejercito urges PNP to clarify guidelines on ‘anti-tambay’ drive.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 21st, 2018

DOJ lets Sister Patricia Fox keep missionary visa

By Edu Punay/The Philippine Star – She gets to stay in the Philippines after all… for now. Australian nun Patricia Fox, whose condemnation of human rights abuses had angered President Duterte and led to her day-long detention two months ago, may continue her missionary work in the country, based on Read more ».....»»

Category: newsSource:  thepinoyRelated NewsJun 20th, 2018