Advertisements


Bangsamoro power deal forged

The National Electrification Administration has inked a deal with a Japanese supplier for a 771-million yen (about P375 million) project to improve the power distribution system in the Bangsamoro area. NEA administrator Edgardo Masongsong said in a statement Osaka-based general trading firm Nishizawa Ltd. had submitted the best offer among five bidders for the Japan International Cooperation Agency-funded "Project for Improvement of Equipment for Power Distribution in Bangsamoro Area." Nishizawa won a contract for the provision of power supplies---including 425 units of transformers as well as poles and wires---and 16 brand-new boom trucks that will be used to rehabilitate the netw...Keep on reading: Bangsamoro power deal forged.....»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerApr 18th, 2018

PHL, Japan ink deal on power efficiency

By Victor V. Saulon, Sub-Editor THE Philippines and Japan have forged a technical cooperation agreement to improve electric infrastructure and power generation efficiency in the country, the Department of Energy (DoE) said on Friday. “The technical assistance is needed for Filipinos to get more value for their money, in terms of investment, energy development and […] The post PHL, Japan ink deal on power efficiency appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJun 22nd, 2018

Goodbye BBL, Hello Federalism

COTABATO CITY – For the third time around, majority Christian lawmakers in the House of Representatives are expected to reject the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law or BBL being pushed by the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, which signed an interim peace deal with Manila in 2014. Instead of BBL, lawmakers are now pushing for a federal form of government and President Rodrigo Duterte is also strongly advocating the shift to federalism, an advocacy he made even before when he was the mayor of Davao City. Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque also said Duterte’s priority now is to change the form of current government and this can only be achieved through amendments in the Constitution which lawmakers are currently working on. There was also a proposal to hold a plebiscite next year in time for the mid-term elections for Filipinos to decide whether to accept or reject federalism. But there are also many lawmakers who wanted to cling to power and extend their term of office until 2022 when voters would have to choose their leaders in national elections. BBL Duterte has previously backed the BBL and expressed optimism that the draft law will pass the scrutiny of Congress that previously opposed it – during Arroyo and Aquino’s presidency. But Duterte himself has been campaigning for BBL and federalism even before he won the presidency in 2016. And his political allies in Congress are supporting the proposed shift from the current presidential system to federalism, and not the BBL. The MILF, whose ageing leaders, called for the passage of BBL may be overridden by Duterte’s plans to grant regions autonomy through federalism. It said the administration of Duterte should immediately work for the passage of the BBL where the Aquino government left off. It stressed that the negotiation is completed following the signing of the Framework Agreement on the Bangsamoro (FAB) and the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro (CAB) between the MILF and government peace panels. Politicians questioning the BBL said the provisions in the draft law remain the same.  Zamboanga City Representative Celso Lobregat, who was one of those who opposed the BBL during the Aquino administration citing unconstitutional provisions in the draft law, is again raising the same issue. Unconstitutional In a previous statement, Lobregat made it clear, he will be vigilant and consistent with his stand with regards to the BBL. “I am for peace, I am not anti-peace, but we need a Bangsamoro Basic Law that is just, that is fair, that is acceptable, feasible and more importantly, it should not be contrary to the Constitution and existing laws,” he said. He said the BBL which the Bangsamoro Transition Commission submitted to Duterte still contains the same and even more contentious and questionable provisions. “Among the contentious provisions in the present version of the BBL is that there will be six plebiscites – one for ratification of the law, and second the periodic plebiscite every 5 years for a period of 25 years in the cities, municipalities and other geographic areas outside the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao which did not join the Bangsamoro after the ratification of the BBL,” Lobregat said. Lobregat, who was also former mayor of Zamboanga City, said Memorandum of Agreement on Ancestral Domain (MOA-AD) was the predecessor of the old BBL filed during the previous 16th Congress. The MOA-AD was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in 2008 describing the process that led to its crafting as “whimsical, capricious, oppressive, arbitrary and despotic.” He said the MOA-AD and the BBL have similar provisions, with some unconstitutional and controversial provisions. “Instead of promoting peace, there will be a constant tug of war on the political boundaries that will promote instability. The Bangsamoro will try to expand its area of jurisdiction and in turn, the local government adjacent, surrounding or neighboring the Bangsamoro will also fight tooth and nail in order to retain their territory,” Lobregat said. Lobregat said he will again be active and vigilant in the committee deliberations, plenary debates and caucuses to ensure that the interest of Zamboanga City and the rest of Mindanao are protected. Davao del Norte Representative and House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez, Duterte’s ally in the lower chamber, said the country’s push for federalism has almost the same concept of the BBL. “The BBL will be absorbed by the federal form of government, because that’s the same. The concept of BBL is the same in federal form of government,” he said, suggesting an amendment in the Constitution. “How can you implement the provisions of the BBL without amending the Constitution? You cannot do it because there are provisions in the BBL that run contrary to the provisions of the Constitution,” said Alvarez. MILF’s rival group, the Moro National Liberation Front under Nur Misuari, has strongly opposed the government peace talks with the MILF, citing a 1996 peace accord with Manila. And Misuari, who eventually became government of the Muslim autonomous region, is now facing rebellion charges for deadly attacks in Sulu’s Jolo town and in Zamboanga City in 2001; and another raid in 2013 in retaliation to government’s failure to fully comply with the peace agreement. Under the accord, Manila would have provided a mini-marshal plan in the restive region and livelihood and housing facilities for thousands of MNLF rebels. Misuari, a close friend and political ally of Duterte, also wanted to become a perpetual regional governor. He is also […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsJan 27th, 2018

Hedcor forges power supply deal with BUSECO

MANILA, Philippines - Hedcor Inc., the hydropower subsidiary of Aboitiz Power Corp., has forged a power supply deal with Bukidnon Second Electric Cooperative.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 14th, 2016

AC Energy signs deal to build solar power plants in Vietnam province

AC Energy, Inc. and its Vietnamese partner have signed an engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) contract and a financing deal to develop of solar power plants in Vietnam’s Ninh Thuan province, its parent firm Ayala Corp. told the stock exchange on Monday. “We are excited to scale up our development initiatives in Vietnam. We expect […] The post AC Energy signs deal to build solar power plants in Vietnam province appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsAug 13th, 2018

South Sudan president pardons rival, rebels – state radio

JUBA, South Sudan – South Sudan's President Salva Kiir has issued a decree offering a blanket amnesty to rebels, including his bitter rival Riek Machar, state radio reported Thursday, August 9. The announcement comes days after the two men signed a power-sharing deal in the Sudanese capital Khartoum aimed at ending ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 9th, 2018

Meralco, PLDT to tie up for 5G Internet technology rollout

Power utility giant Meralco and affiliate firm PLDT are sorting out a partnership deal on the rollout of 5G networks for faster Internet connectivity. Meralco, PLDT to tie up for 5G Internet technology rollout Power utility giant Manila Electric Company (Meralco) and affiliate firm Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT) are sorting out a partnership… link: Meralco, PLDT to tie up for 5G Internet technology rollout.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsAug 8th, 2018

Zubiri urges President to talk to possible spoilers of Bangsamoro deal

President Rodrigo Duterte could play a key role in helping ensure the success of the proposed Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) by reaching out to potential spoilers of the peace deal between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), Senate Majority Leader Juan Miguel Zubiri said on Tuesday. The BARMM would be established by the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL), which was passed by Congress and signed by the President last month to hand to the MILF what Zubiri called the government's "last promise" under the 2014 peace agreement. The President handed a symbolic copy of the law to MILF chief Murad Ebrahim during a ceremony in Malacaang on Mon...Keep on reading: Zubiri urges President to talk to possible spoilers of Bangsamoro deal.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 8th, 2018

Solar PHL plans foray into India

SOLAR PHILIPPINES Power Project Holdings, Inc. expects to seal a deal for its first solar energy project in India within the year......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsAug 5th, 2018

Federalism debate heats up in the Philippines

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte marked the beginning of his third year in office by signing the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL), an autonomy-devolving deal with Muslim rebels that aims to bring p.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsAug 4th, 2018

Awaiting Demobilization

Young MILF fighters join the Consultative Assembly on the Bangsamoro Organic Law in Camp Darapanan in Simuay, Sultan Kudarat, Maguindanao on July 29, 2018. The Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro provides for the full disarmament and demobilization of the Bangsamoro Islamic Armed Forces after the full implementation of the peace deal. MindaNews photo by H. […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsJul 30th, 2018

MILF chief: 30,000 rebels to disarm in Bangsamoro deal

The leader of the largest Muslim rebel group in the Philippines said Tuesday that 30,000 to 40,000 armed fighters would be "decommissioned" if an autonomy deal that is expected to be signed into law by the president this week is fully enforced. Al Haj Murad Ebrahim, chairman of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, said six of the largest guerrilla camps in the south were already being converted into "productive civilian communities" to help the insurgents return to normal life. Clad in a business suit, Murad appealed to the international community to contribute to a trust fund to be used to finance the insurgents' transition from decades of waging one of Asia's longest rebellions...Keep on reading: MILF chief: 30,000 rebels to disarm in Bangsamoro deal.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 25th, 2018

House OKs Bangsamoro Law

THE House of Representatives ratified the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL) on Tuesday, a day after a power struggle for the speakership stalled its approval. The BOL abolishes the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) and replaces it with the Bangsamoro Region, which will enjoy fiscal autonomy under a duly elected Bangsamoro Parliament. Ghazali Jaafar, chairman… link: House OKs Bangsamoro Law.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJul 25th, 2018

House OKs Bangsamoro Law

THE House of Representatives ratified the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL) on Tuesday, a day after a power struggle for the speakership stalled its approval. The BOL abolishes the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) and replaces it with the Bangsamoro Region, which will enjoy fiscal autonomy under a duly elected Bangsamoro Parliament. Ghazali Jaafar, chairman [...] The post House OKs Bangsamoro Law appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsJul 24th, 2018

Chelsea fires manager Antonio Conte after 2 years in charge

By Steve Douglas, Associated Press Antonio Conte's protracted divorce from Chelsea was finalized on Friday when he was fired after a two-year tenure in which he won the English Premier League and FA Cup but failed to gain the power he craved at the London club. Chelsea began a terse, four-sentence statement on its website, "Chelsea Football Club and Antonio Conte have parted company." Leaving Stamford Bridge was always the likely outcome for Conte following a season in which Chelsea missed out on Champions League qualification after a fifth-place league finish, 30 points behind champion Manchester City. The Italian coach regularly grumbled about his failure to exert control, particularly over transfers. Contrast that to the end of his first season at the club, where Conte was feted for leading Chelsea to the league title by seven points after a record-breaking run of 13 straight wins in the middle of the season, sparked by an inspired and bold change of formation. Conte took preseason training this week at Chelsea's practice base in Cobham with players who hadn't featured at the World Cup, but reports emerged in the Italian media on Thursday saying Conte had been fired. That speculation only intensified when Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas and former Chelsea captain John Terry paid tribute to Conte on social media. "Thank you boss," Terry wrote on Twitter. "Great man, Great manager. I wish you every success in the future." The club's 64-word announcement was eventually made on Friday, ending with: "We wish Antonio every success in his future career." Conte still had a year left on a revised deal he signed last summer after delivering the fifth Premier League title since Roman Abramovich bought Chelsea in 2003. Only the pay was improved, though, with Conte's contract still running for just another two seasons — hardly a show of commitment by either the club or its manager. The Italian's main gripe for the past year was Chelsea's failure to land the signings he really wanted for its Premier League title defense. Chelsea was beaten to the signing of Romelu Lukaku by Manchester United and then Fernando Llorente by Tottenham, for example. "The club decides every player," he moaned last season. Winning the FA Cup by beating Manchester United at Wembley Stadium in May — and getting one over his great managerial rival, Jose Mourinho — proved to be Conte's last hurrah and maintained his record of winning a trophy every season he has been in charge of Juventus — where he won the Serie A for four straight years — and Chelsea. Chelsea seeks a 13th permanent manager under Abramovich's ownership, and at possibly the most turbulent period of the Russian billionaire's trophy-filled reign. It emerged in May that Abramovich had yet to have his British visa renewed amid a crackdown by authorities on associates of Russian President Vladimir Putin. Chelsea also halted plans to redevelop Stamford Bridge, citing an unfavorable climate to invest in the 500 million pound ($665 million) project. Conte leaves amid reports in the British and Italian media that former Napoli coach Maurizio Sarri will take over at Chelsea for next season. Sarri's future has been up in the air since Napoli hired Carlo Ancelotti as its new coach in May. Sarri spent three years at the club and led it to two runner-up finishes and a third place, playing an entertaining and high-energy brand of football like that seen at Man City under Pep Guardiola, Tottenham under Mauricio Pochettino, and Liverpool under Juergen Klopp. Sarri didn't win a major title at Napoli, however, and that would not be tolerated at Chelsea. As Conte and many of his predecessors have learned, even winning trophies is no guarantee of job security at Chelsea under Abramovich......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJul 13th, 2018

How the draft charter distributes power to federated regions

The Philippines will be divided into 16 federated regions, the Bangsamoro and the Federated Region of the Cordilleras under the proposed federal constitution......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 10th, 2018

PEACETALK: Ten points on the constitutionality of the BBL’s power-sharing provisions

The listing of powers of the Central Government and the Bangsamoro Government is not unconstitutional. The list of the powers for the autonomous regions is already provided by the Constitution itself in Article X, section 20. Hence, the powers granted to autonomous regions, and which may be granted the Bangsamoro, is not a delegation from […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsJul 8th, 2018

BBL compliant with peace deal ‘only course’ to achieving peace – groups

MANILA, Philippines – Civil groups from Marawi City and Lanao del Sur said the final version of the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) must be compliant with the peace deal signed in the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro (CAB) as it is “the only effective and feasible course” to achieving ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 4th, 2018

ERC clears Meralco, FGen PSA

The Energy Regulatory Commission granted interim relief to Manila Electric Co. and a unit of Lopez-led First Gen Corp. to implement their six-year power supply deal......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 2nd, 2018

Less-than-ARMM Bangsamoro is bad for business, “leads to very uncertain future”

COTABATO CITY (MindaNews / 29 June) — Uncertainty is bad for business and the business sector in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM), expectant of a better deal in the future Bangsamoro — the new autonomous political entity that would replace the ARMM — wants Congress to know that a “less than ARMM” Bangsamoro […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsJun 29th, 2018

Japan to share energy know-how under PH deal

“The technical assistance is needed for Filipinos to get more value for their money, in terms of investment, energy development and utilization.” Tokyo, Japan — The Philippines and Japan agreement signed a technical cooperation to improve electric infrastructure and efficiency of local power plants. Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi and Deputy Director-General of the Japan’s Ministry […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJun 23rd, 2018