Advertisements


Aquino posts bail; Sandiganbayan finds probable cause for trial

THE Sandiganbayan has found probable cause to try former president Benigno Aquino 3rd for graft and usurpation of official functions and set his arraignment on January 12, 2018. The anti-graft court issued its ruling after Aquino posted a P40,000 bail – P30,000 for graft and P10,000 for the usurpation charge. After Aquino posted bail, the [...] The post Aquino posts bail; Sandiganbayan finds probable cause for trial appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource: manilatimes_net manilatimes_netNov 10th, 2017

Sandiganbayan finds grounds for Noynoy Aquino trial

MANILA, Philippines — The Sandiganbayan's Third Division found probable cause to hold trial on the Office of the Ombudsman's graft and usurpation charges aga.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 10th, 2017

Aquino posts bail, Duterte meets Putin, Trump on South China Sea | Evening wRap

Today on Rappler: Former president Benigno Aquino posts bail amounting to P40,000 for graft and usurpation of authority charges at the Sandiganbayan.  Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte says he would have American lawmakers critical of his war on drugs barred from entering the Philippines. President Rodrigo Duterte chooses to give a light-hearted response to a statement ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsNov 10th, 2017

Aquino posts bail at Sandiganbayan

Aquino posts bail at Sandiganbayan.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsNov 10th, 2017

WATCH | PNoy posts P40-K bail at Sandiganbayan

(UPDATE 5) Former President Benigno Aquino III went to the Sandiganbayan Third Division Friday afternoon to post bail after usurpation of authority and graft charges were slapped against him by the Office of the Ombudsman in relation to the Mamasapano incident......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsNov 10th, 2017

JUSTICE! Eight years after ‘Maguindanao massacre,’ justice still elusive for families of victims

COTABATO CITY – Families of 58 people brutally killed in Maguindanao province continue to cry for justice eight years after 200 gunmen, believed to be followers of the Ampatuan clan, massacred the victims, 32 of them media workers.  The massacre occurred in the village of Salman in Ampatuan town on November 23, 2009 while supporters and family members of Esmael “Toto” Mangudadatu were heading to the office of the Commission on Elections to file his candidacy for governor of Maguindanao and challenging Governor Andal Ampatuan, Sr. who was the patriarch of a clan that long held power in the province.  Mangudadatu invited journalists to cover the event and also to protect his group against alleged threats by the Ampatuans. Mangudadatu himself did not go with the convoy for fear that he would be ambushed and instead sent his wife and sisters and supporters to represent him.  True enough, a large group of armed men, many of them militias and policemen, taking orders from the alleged mastermind, Andal, flagged down the convoy on the highway of Shariff Aguak town, the clan’s stronghold, and held all in the group at gunpoint and brought the victims to a remote location in Ampatuan town and raked them all with automatic weapons. Andal’s son and namesake, Andal, Jr., then mayor of Datu Unsay town, and another son, Zaldy Ampatuan, then the regional governor, and several other clan members along with dozens more are now in jail after being implicated in the massacre. The accused have all denied the charges against them. And many witnesses to the gruesome crime had been killed while others were allegedly bribed to prevent them from testifying. The slow progress of the cases is also putting a stress – both psychologically and spiritually – to the families of those who perished in the massacre.  Murders Media watchdog National Union of Journalists of the Philippines said justice remains as elusive as it was 8 years ago and that journalists continue to be murdered with impunity with 178 murdered since 1986 – the last five killed in the year and a half since President Rodrigo Duterte took office.  It said of the 198 massacre suspects, only 115 have been arrested and 112 have been arraigned and that four had died in the course of the proceedings, including primary suspect Andal Sr.  Out of the 112, NUJP said 70 were allowed by the court to post bail, including Andal Sr.’s youngest son, Sajid Islam, who was freed in 2015 after posting P11.6-million bail. This number also included 17 police officers who were allowed by the court to post bail because of weak evidence.  As of July 11, 2017, it said 102 of the accused remain in detention, including main suspects Andal Jr.; Zaldy and also Chief Inspector Sukarno Dicay, then the police chief of the 15th Regional Mobile Group that was conducting the checkpoint when the convoy was stopped by gunmen.  “We have been informed that with only three more principal accused in the massacre trial still to present their witnesses, it would be reasonable to hope for a resolution by next year. We do hope so and pray it will be a triumph for justice. However, the numbers do not offer too much reason for optimism.”  “But as we have pointed out before, notwithstanding its shocking magnitude, the Ampatuan massacre was not an aberration but an inevitable result of the rotten system of governance that afflicts our country. It is a governance of expediency by which all presidents, bar none, court the loyalty of the warlords, crime lords and corrupt clans who infest Philippine politics and rule their bailiwicks like fiefdoms, because this is the only way they can rule effectively,” NUJP said.  Impunity Lawyer Jose Begil Jr, of the Union of Peoples’ Lawyers in Mindanao, said the massacre could potentially go down in history as one of the most long-drawn high profile cases, despite the Justice Department’s declaration that the case is now on its tail end.  He recalled that the late Senator Joker Arroyo had predicted that the trial could take 200 years with nearly 200 defendants and 300 witnesses. “Additionally, prosecution witnesses have either been killed under questionable circumstances, are missing, or were intimidated,” Begil said. “Eight years have passed, justice is nowhere in sight,” Begil said, adding, the culture of impunity, still pervades the Duterte government.  “The Arroyo government was responsible for this impunity against journalists, lawyers, and other human rights defenders. The Aquino government failed to deliver on its promise to attain justice for the victims. And now, the Duterte government has simply expanded this culture of impunity, this time not only against journalists but to drug offenders, and more viciously against human rights activists,” Begil said.  Letter to Pope In 2014, family members of journalists who perished in the massacre had written a letter addressed to Pope Francis and read by Grace Morales during the 5th commemoration of the killings in Ampatuan town.  Grace is the widow of Rosell Morales and sister of Marites Cablitas, circulation manager and publisher of News Focus, who was among those killed.  The letter reads: “Kami ay mga asawa, anak, magulang at kapatid ng mga pinaslang sa bayan ng Ampatuan, Maguindanao noong ika -23 ng Nobyembre 2009. Ang aming mga mahal sa buhay ay kasama sa masaker kung saan 58 ang nasawi kabilang ang 32 mamahayag.  Taun-taon ay bumabalik kami rito sa […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsNov 25th, 2017

Ex-Pres. Aquino posts bail on Mamasapano cases

Ex-Pres. Aquino posts bail on Mamasapano cases.....»»

Category: newsSource:  cnnphilippinesRelated NewsNov 11th, 2017

Sandiganbayan issues hold-departure order vs Aquino over Mamasapano case

By Camille A. Aguinaldo, InterAksyon THE Sandiganbayan on Friday, Nov. 10, issued a hold-departure order against former president Benigno S.C. Aquino III after he posted a P40,000-bail in connection with the graft and usurpation of authority charges that were filed against him by the Office of the Ombudsman. After posting bail and undergoing booking procedures, […] The post Sandiganbayan issues hold-departure order vs Aquino over Mamasapano case appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsNov 11th, 2017

Aquino posts bail; court issues hold-departure order

Aquino posts bail; court issues hold-departure order.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsNov 11th, 2017

WATCH | Sandigan issues hold departure order vs PNoy; ex-president says he did everything to prevent Mamasapano bloodshed

(UPDATE 2) The Sandiganbayan issued a hold departure order against Benigno Aquino III on Friday after the former President posted a P40,000-bail in connection with the graft and usurpation of authority charges that were filed against him by the Office of the Ombudsman......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsNov 11th, 2017

Sandigan issues hold departure order vs ex-President Aquino

(UPDATED) The Sandiganbayan issued a hold departure order against Benigno Aquino III on Friday after the former President posted a P40,000-bail in connection with the graft and usurpation of authority charges that were filed against him by the Office of the Ombudsman......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsNov 10th, 2017

VACC slams Ombudsman for filing ‘downgraded’ charges vs Aquino

      A group that provided legal assistance to the relatives of policemen killed in the January 2015 Mamasapano incident has denounced the Ombudsman's recent filing of "downgraded" charges against former President Benigno Simeon Aquino III in the Sandiganbayan.   Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption spokesperson Arsenio Evangelista said the Ombudsman's Wednesday indictment was meant to "preempt" their petition before the Supreme Court.   The said SC petition questioned the Ombudsman's June 13 and Sept. 5 orders finding probable cause to charge Aquino only with usurpation of authority and violation of Section 3(a) of the Anti-Graft and...Keep on reading: VACC slams Ombudsman for filing ‘downgraded’ charges vs Aquino.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 9th, 2017

Noy to face Sandigan trial for SAF 44 deaths

MANILA, Philippines — Former president Benigno Aquino III was indicted before the Sandiganbayan yesterday in connection with the Mamasapano tragedy in 2015 t.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 8th, 2017

Sandiganbayan finds probable cause to try ex-VP Binay for graft

Sandiganbayan finds probable cause to try ex-VP Binay for graft.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 6th, 2017

Sandiganbayan finds probable cause to try ex-VP Binay for graft - Rappler

Sandiganbayan finds probable cause to try ex-VP Binay for graft - Rappler.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsSep 5th, 2017

Honasan surrenders, posts bail for graft raps

MANILA, Philippines —  Senator Gregorio Honasan II on Friday posted the P60,000 bail bond earlier set by the Sandiganbayan for his provisional liberty for tw.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 11th, 2017

Noy to face trial for Mamasapano

MANILA, Philippines - Former president Benigno Aquino III will face trial before the Sandiganbayan for the death of more than 60 people, including 44 police.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 14th, 2017

Graft court finds probable cause for Binay, Jr.'s trial - BusinessWorld Online Edition

Graft court finds probable cause for Binay, Jr.'s trial - BusinessWorld Online Edition.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsApr 20th, 2017

Echiverri arrested at sandiganbayan, posts bail

Echiverri arrested at sandiganbayan, posts bail.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsMar 23rd, 2017

Barbers posts bail over fertilizer scam

MANILA, Philippines -  Former Surigao del Norte governor Robert Lyndon Barbers posted bail before the Sandiganbayan on Friday in connection with the charges.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 11th, 2017

Purisima posts bail for Mamasapano cases

Former Philippine National Police chief Alan Purisima yesterday posted P20,000 bail before the Sandiganbayan for his new set of criminal cases, this time in connection with the 2015 Mamasapano incident......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 30th, 2017