Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




Lawyer suspended over FB posts

In a decision, the Supreme Court ruled that lawyer Roberto “Argee” C. Guevarra was guilty of violation of the rules of the Code of Professional Responsibility for his posts in Facebook that “publicly insulted and undermined the reputation” of Dr. Victoria “Vicki” Belo-Henares and the Belo Medical Group Inc......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017

Brazil’s Rousseff appeals against losing presidency

BRASÍLIA: Impeached Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff filed a Supreme Court challenge Thursday to her removal from office in an early blow to new President Michel Temer's bid to stabilize the country. The appeal, filed by Rousseff's lawyer Jose Eduard.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsSep 2nd, 2016

Ongpin hires topnotch lawyer

Businessman Roberto “Bobby” Ongpin scored a win with the temporary restraining order (TRO) issued by the 13th Division of the Court of Appeals (.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 3rd, 2016

Alvin Aguilar appeals for more events

Wrestling Association of the Philippines (WAP) president Alvin Aguilar said yesterday he has been referred by POC president Ricky Vargas to appeal to POC chairman Rep. Bambol Tolentino, SEAG Federation Sports and Rules Committee chairman Tom Carrasco and SEAG Federation Executive Committre chairman Cito Dayrit in adding more events for his sport in the coming SEA Games......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 22nd, 2019

Court of Appeals upholds Mabilog’s dismissal for graft

The Court of Appeals (CA) has upheld with finality the dismissal of Iloilo City Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog in connection with a graft case......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 20th, 2019

CA upholds Mabilog’s dismissal for graft

The Court of Appeals (CA) has upheld with finality the dismissal of Iloilo City Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog in connection with a graft case......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 20th, 2019

Man City completes sweep of English trophies with FA Cup win

By Rob Harris, Associated Press LONDON (AP) — Manchester City swept aside Watford to complete the first clean sweep of English men's football trophies. The fourth piece of silverware of the season was sealed by four different scorers in the FA Cup final at Wembley Stadium on Saturday. Raheem Sterling and Gabriel Jesus netted twice and David Silva and Kevin De Bruyne also scored as Watford was humiliated 6-0. Victory for Pep Guardiola's side came a week after the Premier League trophy was retained to join the League Cup and Community Shield already in City's possession. "What a season," City captain Vincent Kompany said. "What a tremendous club." But the unprecedented achievement by football's costliest squad comes against the backdrop of investigations into City's compliance into football's spending rules that could lead to the Abu Dhabi-owned team being banned from the Champions League. More than $1 billion has been spent on transfer fees alone since 2008 when Sheikh Mansour bought a team that was more accustomed to playing in lower leagues than lifting trophies. It wasn't until 2011 that City ended a 35-year trophy drought by winning the FA Cup. Now City is the undisputed power of English football — a status it claimed from neighbor Manchester United. "It's one of the best seasons I have experienced as a manager," said Guardiola, who won titles previously at Barcelona and Bayern Munich. Watford was contesting its first cup final in 35 years and never had a look in after Roberto Pereyra was denied by goalkeeper Ederson of the chance to snatch a shock lead in the 11th minute. Not long after, Watford fans were made to endure City players celebrating in front of them. After Abdoulaye Doucoure gave the ball away, City broke forward and Sterling headed through for David Silva to strike into the net. City's other Silva — Bernardo — was the provider of the second in the 38th, chipping to the far post where Gabriel Jesus diverted the ball into an empty net. Sterling ensured it crossed the line but his Brazilian teammate was credited with the goal. The onslaught came in the second half with De Bruyne exerting his influence after coming off the bench. The Belgian netted in the 61st, receiving the ball from Gabriel Jesus, who had combined with Sterling. Gabriel Jesus found the net seven minutes later after being released by De Bruyne's throughball, sliding past Heurelho Gomes after the goalkeeper came off his line. Then the record-equaling final victory margin came from a double inside six minutes from Sterling, who grew up near Wembley and has a tattoo of the stadium's arch. The Football Writers' Association player of the year tapped in after latching onto Bernardo Silva's cross in the 81st, and met the rebound after Gomes pushed his initial shot onto the post. "It just shows what the manager's building here," Sterling said. "At the start of the season he said, 'Let's try and get the mentality right and go for the Premier League again,' and we've done that again, exceptionally well. "It's a credit to all the boys, being mentally switched on throughout the season which has been long with the World Cup as well. Everyone's been focused and on their A game the whole way through.".....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMay 19th, 2019

Financial case a cloud over unprecedented City titles feat

By Rob Harris, Associated Press LONDON (AP) — After the FA Cup was raised aloft by Manchester City's players, the Wembley Stadium pyrotechnics didn't cast a cloud over the team's unprecedented sweep of English soccer's men's trophies. The only shadow came from the investigations by soccer authorities into leaked documents that allegedly show the game's costliest squad was assembled thanks to mechanisms employed to try to circumvent spending regulations. A 6-0 rout of Watford on Saturday, delivered by players who cost more than $200 million in transfer fees, ensured the FA Cup joined the Premier League trophy, League Cup and Community Shield already in City's possession. The only piece of silverware missing is from the competition City could be banned from next season: the Champions League. City arrived at Wembley reeling from UEFA investigators last week sending the governing body's judges a file into how the Abu Dhabi-owned club sought to allegedly dupe the governing body to comply with Financial Fair Play. And the team left the national stadium with manager Pep Guardiola seething to face questions about the cloud over City's feat. "We are not guilty (until) proven," Guardiola said. "Would I say this club makes a step forward from the big investment from Sheikh Mansour? Definitely. Can you do that without top players? No way. That money helps to buy the incredible players we have? Yes. "After that we wait. If we are punished, we will accept it. But I listen to my chairman and my CEO, they give me the arguments for why they are under investigation and I trust them. When they tell me we were fair, we did it absolutely following the rules, I'm sorry, I believe them. If the opponents and contenders believe that's it's just the money ... it is OK they will be a problem." Guardiola is the only City figure publicly responding to questions about the FFP investigation, despite not being a director. Leaving Wembley, City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak only gave a thumb's up when asked about the club's potential Champions League ban. Leaks of internal correspondence published by German outlet Der Spiegel last year showed how City used companies linked to the Abu Dhabi ownership to boost revenue in an attempt to curb losses and comply with UEFA regulations. City hasn't disputed the authenticity of the documents. The Football Leaks group also published details showing how Roberto Mancini, who managed City from 2009 to 2013, received more pay from a team Sheikh Mansour owns in Abu Dhabi to work as a consultant than from the Manchester club. Mancini was the last City manager to win the FA Cup in 2012. City hasn't responded to questions sent by The Associated Press in November asking if Guardiola had any similar arrangements to Mancini, and the manager was infuriated to be asked Saturday if he received any payments from Abu Dhabi. "Do you know the question you are asking me — if I receive money from another situation today?" Guardiola said. "Do you think I deserve to make this kind of question ... the day I won the treble, if I received money from another situations?" Guardiola is yet to provide an answer. City did not respond to a follow-up text message on the issue......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMay 19th, 2019

Guardiola has trust in Man City amid UEFA investigation

MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Pep Guardiola has spoken to Manchester City's executives and retains his "trust" in the club amid UEFA's investigation into financial misconduct that could result in the English Premier League winners getting banned from the Champions League. "I know exactly what happened, I know exactly what they did," Guardiola said on Friday, "and I trust them a lot." City is suspected of breaking rules that monitor commercial income and spending on player transfers and wages, with leaked documents implying that club officials deceived UEFA for several years — in particular by disguising revenue from commercial deals secured by the club's owners. UEFA's club finance investigators have sent the file on City to the governing body's judges. The Associated Press reported this week that club officials have not fully cooperated with UEFA investigators. "Man City is open to exposing all the papers, all the documents, all they have done," Guardiola said. "So after that, I am not a lawyer, I don't know what happens behind the scenes and the meetings they have with the lawyers from both sides." The issue dominated the news conference that Guardiola held a day before City plays Watford in the FA Cup final at Wembley Stadium. City's players will complete a domestic treble — unprecedented in England in the men's game — if they add the FA Cup to the Premier League and League Cup already captured this season. "I know we won the Premier League, and the last two or three days people just talk about that (the UEFA investigation)," Guardiola said. "We are innocent until proven (guilty), I'm sorry. I said many times, if we did something wrong and UEFA decide we did something wrong, OK, we will be banned, we will be punished, or whatever they decide. "But we are innocent right now. I know the people are waiting for (City) to be guilty." City has also come under scrutiny this week following the release of a video, thought to have been captured on an aircraft after City's 4-1 win at Brighton that clinched the Premier League, which appears to show some players and staff joining in a song about title rival Liverpool. The song incudes references to fans being "battered in the streets" and includes a line on Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah getting injured. "It was not what people say," said Guardiola, who added: "If someone was offended for another issue, I am sorry, I apologize. It was never was our intention. We celebrate for ourselves, we were happy to win the Premier League, against one incredible, incredible contender.".....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMay 18th, 2019

New Integrated Resort In The Philippines On The Horizon - Crypto Daily

New Integrated Resort In The Philippines On The Horizon Crypto Daily After a lengthy stand-off between gaming regulator PAGCOR and Waterfront Philippines Inc, the Philippines Court of Appeals (CA) ha.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsMay 14th, 2019

Court of Appeals allows Gwendolyn Garcia to run

The Court of Appeals (CA) has allowed Cebu Rep. Gwendolyn Garcia to pursue her gubernatorial bid in today’s elections......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 13th, 2019

Gwen: CA’s dismissal of grave misconduct case means truth, justice and rule of law prevail

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The decision of the Court of Appeals (CA) in dismissing the grave misconduct case against Cebu Third District Representative Gwendolyn Garcia “couldn’t have come at a better time.” Garcia, in a statement posted on her official Facebook page, said she was thankful that “truth, justice and the rule of law have […] The post Gwen: CA’s dismissal of grave misconduct case means truth, justice and rule of law prevail appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 11th, 2019

NFL concussion fund pays out $485M, but legal fights resume

By Maryclaire Dale, Associated Press PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The NFL concussion fund has paid out nearly $500 million in its first two years, but some players' lawyers say there aren't enough doctors in the approved network to evaluate dementia claims. They went to court Tuesday to oppose a rule to require retired players to be tested by doctors within 150 miles (241 kilometers) of home to prevent "doctor shopping" and suspected fraud. Fund administrator Orran Brown said ex-players from around the country had flocked to four doctors now dismissed from the program who had "high-volume" traffic and some suspect findings. "We didn't notice it until the claims were coming in," Brown said. "Forty-six million dollars went out the door on these claims before we could flag it." Retired players can seek awards of as much as $3 million for moderate dementia and $1.5 million for mild dementia, although most men would get far less based on their age and years in the league. The settlement resolves thousands of lawsuits that alleged the NFL long hid what it knew about the risk of concussions. Senior U.S. District Judge Anita Brody, who has overseen the case since 2011, suggested the travel limit is needed to prevent abuse. "A few were brought to my attention where we had a lawyer from Pennsylvania and a player from Florida going to a doctor in Texas. And that was a red flag," Brody said. Philadelphia lawyer Gene Locks, who represents some 1,100 retired players, urged Brody not to adopt the rule, saying his clients agreed to the settlement believing they could choose their own doctors. "They had bad experiences with the NFL benefit program, both during their playing time and after their playing time, when they felt they were used and abused, and were not going to the doctors they wanted to," Locks argued. He said there are at least 30 different subspecialties of neurology, only a few of them well-suited to evaluate his clients. Brown acknowledged he's still trying to recruit doctors in some parts of the country for the program. He suggested Brody adopt the 150-mile (241-kilometer) rule but allow him to grant exceptions. The fund, expected to pay out more than $1 billion over 65 years, has paid out $485 million so far, and another $174 million in claims have been approved, Brown said. The NFL has appealed about 30% of the approved claims, but closer to 15% if the four doctors removed from the program aren't counted, according to players lawyer David Buchanan. If someone wants to travel "to see a world-renowned physician, or a world-renowned neuropsychologist, they should have that right," Buchanan said. Lawyers for the NFL monitored the hearing but did not take part in Tuesday's arguments. The settlement, forged in 2013 and later amended, offers more than 20,000 retired players baseline testing and compensation of up to $5 million for the most serious illnesses linked to football concussions, including Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and deaths involving chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE. Many of the more serious — and more straightforward — claims were settled in the first years of the program......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMay 8th, 2019

Marcley Augustus Natu-el: 2018 Bar Exams 2nd placer fulfills his six-year-old dream

Marcley Augustus Natu-el dreamt of becoming a lawyer when he was only six years old. The dream was inspired by the stories and examples of his paternal grandfather, Mariano Natu-el Sr., who used to tell him about his experiences in court and with his clients. Coupled with his keen interest in watching court stories on […] The post Marcley Augustus Natu-el: 2018 Bar Exams 2nd placer fulfills his six-year-old dream appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 5th, 2019

17 shortlisted for CA posts

The Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) has submitted to President Duterte 17 names in its shortlist for Court of Appeals (CA) justices......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 5th, 2019

Florida lawmakers approve bill erecting barrier to ex-felons voting

MIAMI: Florida lawmakers on Friday approved a measure barring people with felony convictions from registering to vote unless they first pay fines, court fees and restitution that can amount to…READ The post Florida lawmakers approve bill erecting barrier to ex-felons voting appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsMay 4th, 2019

Court of Appeals to hear NUPL plea over perceived state harassment, red-tagging

The SC, however, ordered the Court of Appeals to hear the lawyers’ group petition on May 14 and “decide the case within 10 days after submission of the case for the decision.”.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 3rd, 2019

From Philippine team member to her clan s first lawyer

MANILA, Philippines – “Tapos na lahat ng paghihirap ng ate ko, lawyer na siya! (My sister’s hardships are over, she’s now a lawyer!)” a teary-eyed Emmaruth Dublin said at the grounds of the Supreme Court (SC) on Friday, May 3, as the names of 1,800 passers ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 3rd, 2019

JBC member faces disqualification in CTA bid

A member of the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) applying for a post in the Court of Tax Appeals (CTA) is facing possible disqualification due to pending administrative cases......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 2nd, 2019

SC upholds conviction of man behind 2011 car bomb blast

MANILA, Philippines – The Supreme Court (SC) has upheld a Court of Appeals (CA) decision to convict the man behind a car bomb explosion that killed two people in Sultan Kudarat in 2011. In its 9-page resolution penned by Associate Justice Rosmari Carandang, the SC Third Division upheld the conviction of ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 30th, 2019