Advertisements


All’s quiet for Cubs at fan convention

CHICAGO --- There was no surprise return for Jake Arrieta. No dramatic entrance for Yu Darvish, Alex Cobb or Greg Holland, either.Kris Bryant   Not even close. The Chicago Cubs settled five of their six potential arbitration cases before the start of their annual fan convention on Friday, including a record $10.85 million, one-year deal for third baseman Kris Bryant. But they remain at an impasse when it comes to another free-agent addition or a big acquisition via trade --- a common refrain during one of the slowest winters for baseball in a long time. "We're not done. We have confidence in this group if this is the 25 we end up taking to spring training," president of baseba...Keep on reading: All’s quiet for Cubs at fan convention.....»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerJan 13th, 2018

‘A Quiet Place’ sequel in the works

  LAS VEGAS---"A Quiet Place" is getting a sequel. Jim Gianopulos, chair of Paramount Pictures, said on Wednesday that the studio is developing a followup to the buzzy John Krasinski-helmed thriller that's currently in theaters. "A Quiet Place" has earned over $135 million from North American theaters in just over three weeks. It cost a modest $17 million to produce. Speaking to an audience of theater owners and exhibitors at the annual CinemaCon convention in Las Vegas, Gianopulos acknowledged that Paramount has had difficult years at the box office. He says "A Quiet Place" is the first of what he hopes will be many future hits for the studio. ---AP...Keep on reading: ‘A Quiet Place’ sequel in the works.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 27th, 2018

A Quiet Place to get a sequel

LAS VEGAS — Paramount Pictures said Wednesday that hit horror movie A Quiet Place was getting a sequel and ended mounting speculation over its lucrative Star Trek franchise by confirming two new movies. Chairman and CEO Jim Gianopulos opened the studio’s segment at the annual CinemaCon film industry convention in Las Vegas with the news, […] The post A Quiet Place to get a sequel appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsApr 27th, 2018

Cubs postpone home opener a day because of snow

CHICAGO--- The Chicago Cubs tried to play their home opener on Monday. It was just a snow-go. The Cubs' game against the Pittsburgh Pirates was postponed a day because of snow that covered much of Wrigley Field, creating a scene more reminiscent of January than April. "On the way out I had no idea if I was going to Cubs Convention or opening day," Chicago manager Joe Maddon cracked. The winter wonderland at Wrigley caused the majors' 11th postponement so far this season, adding another picture to a growing montage of snowballs, ski caps and puffy coats from ballparks across the frigid Midwest. The Cubs tried pushing back first pitch by an hour, and workers used hand-hel...Keep on reading: Cubs postpone home opener a day because of snow.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 10th, 2018

Trump's comments about anthem, Curry inflame sports stars

CATHERINE LUCEY, Associated Press br /> TIM REYNOLDS, Associated Press br /> SOMERSET, N.J. (AP) — President Donald Trump sharply criticized protests by NFL players for a second straight day and rescinded NBA star Stephen Curry's White House invitation on Saturday in a series of tweets that outraged football and basketball stars and even prompted LeBron James to call the president a 'bum.' Trump started by announcing that Curry, the immensely popular two-time MVP for the Golden State Warriors, would not be welcome at the White House for the commemorative visit traditionally made by championship teams. Later, Trump reiterated what he said at a rally in Alabama the previous night that NFL players who kneel for the national anthem should be fired, prompting immediate condemnation from a handful of team executives, the league commissioner and its players' union. The Warriors said it was made clear to them that they were not welcome at the White House. They said that when they go to Washington this season they will instead 'celebrate equality, diversity and inclusion — the values that we embrace as an organization.' Curry had said he did not want to go to the White House anyway, but the Warriors had not made a collective decision before Saturday. 'U bum @StephenCurry30 already said he ain't going!' James tweeted in a clear message to the president — a post that Twitter officials said was quickly shared many more times than any other he's sent. 'So therefore ain't no invite. Going to White House was a great honor until you showed up!' James also released a video Saturday, saying Trump has tried to divide the country. 'He's now using sports as the platform to try to divide us,' James said. 'We all know how much sports brings us together. ... It's not something I can be quiet about.' Warriors general manager Bob Myers said he was surprised by the invitation being pulled. 'The White House visit should be something that is celebrated,' Myers said. 'So we want to go to Washington, D.C., and do something to commemorate kind of who we are as an organization, what we feel, what we represent and at the same time spend our energy on that. Instead of looking backward, we want to look forward.' Added Warriors coach Steve Kerr, after his team's first practice of the season: 'These are not normal times.' As a candidate and as president, Trump's approach has at times seemed to inflame racial tensions in a deeply divided country while emboldening groups long in the shadows. The latest sports comments come a little over a month after Trump came under fire for his response to a white supremacists' protest in Charlottesville, Virginia. Trump later pardoned Joe Arpaio, the former sheriff of Arizona's Maricopa County, who had been found guilty of defying a judge's order to stop racially profiling Latinos. Trump's latest entry into the intersection of sports and politics started in Alabama on Friday night, when he said NFL players who refused to stand for 'The Star-Spangled Banner' are exhibiting a 'total disrespect of our heritage.' Several NFL players, starting last season with then-San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick, have either knelt, sat or raised fists during the anthem to protest police treatment of blacks and social injustice. Last week at NFL games, four players sat or knelt during the anthem, and two raised fists while others stood by the protesters in support. Other players have protested in different ways over the past season since Kaepernick began sitting during the 2016 preseason. 'That's a total disrespect of everything that we stand for,' Trump said, encouraging owners to act. He added, 'Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, you'd say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out! He's fired.' On Saturday, Trump echoed his stance. 'If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL, or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem,' Trump wrote in an afternoon pair of tweets. 'If not, YOU'RE FIRED. Find something else to do!' Trump has enjoyed strong support from NFL owners, with at least seven of them donating $1 million each to Trump's inaugural committee. They include New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft, who Trump considers a friend. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell strongly backed the players while New York Giants owners John Mara and Steve Tisch said the president's comments were inappropriate and offensive. Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, who has supported the players who have knelt, said the country 'needs unifying leadership right now, not more divisiveness,' and San Francisco 49ers CEO Jed York ripped Trump's comments as 'callous.' 'Divisive comments like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL, our great game and all of our players, and a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our clubs and players represent in our communities,' Goodell said in a statement. Plenty of other current and former stars from across sports weighed in Saturday. Richard Sherman of Seattle Seahawks said the president's behavior is 'unacceptable and needs to be addressed.' In his Friday remarks, Trump also bemoaned what he called a decline in violence in football, noting that it's 'not the same game' because players are now either penalized or thrown out of games for aggressive tackles. 'No man or woman should ever have to choose a job that forces them to surrender their rights,' DeMaurice Smith, the NFL Players Association executive director, said Saturday. 'No worker nor any athlete, professional or not, should be forced to become less than human when it comes to protecting their basic health and safety.' Trump has met with some championship teams already in his first year in office. Clemson visited the White House this year after winning the College Football Playoff, some members of the New England Patriots went after the Super Bowl victory and the Chicago Cubs went to the Oval Office in June to commemorate their World Series title. The Cubs also had the larger and more traditional visit with President Barack Obama in January, four days before the Trump inauguration. North Carolina, the reigning NCAA men's basketball champion, said Saturday it will not visit the White House this season. The Tar Heels cited scheduling conflicts. Rep. Al Green, D-Texas, said Trump has 'taken indecency to a new low.' 'I think that the president has forgotten that he is the standard bearer for our country, that little boys and little girls look up to the president,' he said. 'Little boys and little girls want to be like the president. They want to talk like the president. I think that the president has insulted the American people with this low level of verbiage.' Warriors forward Draymond Green said the good news was that Golden State won't have to talk about going to the White House again — unless they win another title during the Trump presidency. 'Michelle Obama said it best,' Green said. 'She said it best. They go low. We go high. He beat us to the punch. Happy the game is over.' ___ Reynolds reported from Miami. AP Sports Writer Janie McCauley in Oakland, California, and AP writer Corey Williams in Detroit contributed to this story. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsSep 23rd, 2017

Standoff over Syria’s Idlib province

For the moment, Syria’s final remaining rebel stronghold remains quiet. Turkey’s government has brokered a deal that delays the day of judgment when Bashar al-Assad’s army, backed by Russia, will attack Idlib province to kill the last of its holdouts......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated News1 hr. 38 min. ago

RADIOCON facilitates PCC-USF matching with Siquijor farmers

TAGBILARAN CITY, Bohol, Oct. 6 (PIA)-If it was just like any ordinary convention, many would have called it another government junket.But, from it, if plans do not miscarry, the Philippine C.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated News12 hr. 38 min. ago

Sen. Villar to keynote 9th Benguet Coop Convention

LA TRINIDAD, Benguet, Oct. 15 (PIA) - - About 300 cooperative members are expected to attend the 9th Benguet Cooperative Convention on October 16 - 17, which fosters harmonious relationship among c.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated News12 hr. 38 min. ago

RADIOCON facilitates PCC-USF matching with Siquijor farmers

TAGBILARAN CITY, Bohol, Oct. 6 (PIA)-If it was just like any ordinary convention, many would have called it another government junket.But, from it, if plans do not miscarry, the Philippine C.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated News12 hr. 51 min. ago

Sen. Villar to keynote 9th Benguet Coop Convention

LA TRINIDAD, Benguet, Oct. 15 (PIA) - - About 300 cooperative members are expected to attend the 9th Benguet Cooperative Convention on October 16 - 17, which fosters harmonious relationship among c.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated News12 hr. 51 min. ago

The 1st list of Cebuano political candidates

Since it is election season already, allow me to inform those people living in Cebu that the national party PDP-Laban has given the Certificate of Nomination to its candidates in Cebu during a general assembly at the Grand Convention Center in Cebu City last Sunday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 15th, 2018

Tiger Cubs top Red Robins in BBI caging

UST crushed Mapua’s Juniors Team B, 80-55, at the Moro Lorenzo Sports Center in Quezon City......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 15th, 2018

Gwen has backing of One Cebu, 4 nat’l parties

IN a show of force, five political parties held a grand convention yesterday and endorsed 3rd District Rep. Gwendolyn Garcia for governor plus a complete slate for congressmen, mayors, vice mayors down to the last councilors. Her running mate is yet to be announced because it is still under negotiation, said 4th District Rep. Benhur… link: Gwen has backing of One Cebu, 4 nat’l parties.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsOct 14th, 2018

MROFI launches National Convention

The Moral Recovery Officers Foundation inc. (MROFI) will conduct the 20th Moral Recovery Program (MRP) National Convention/Workshop with the theme........»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsOct 14th, 2018

PLDT, Smart gather country’s best Tekken 7 players at the ESGS ‘Road to the Nationals’ finals

The country's best Tekken 7 players are in for the biggest fight of their life as they battle it out at the 'Road to the Nationals' finals at the upcoming Esports and Gaming Summit (ESGS) 2018. The biggest gaming convention in the Philippines, ESGS is set on October 26 to 28, 2018 at the SMX Convention Center, Pasay City. Presented by PLDT Home Fibr and Smart Communications, Inc., ESGS promises an epic gaming experience for esports fans and enthusiasts as it features exciting exhibits, cosplay competition, fan games, and treats from PLDT Home Fibr and Smart's activity booths. ESGS hosts the 'Road to the Nationals' finals for Tekken 7, a one-on-one fighting game that gained mass...Keep on reading: PLDT, Smart gather country’s best Tekken 7 players at the ESGS ‘Road to the Nationals’ finals.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 14th, 2018

Rain or Shine stuns Ginebra for first win

MANILA, Philippines – Rain or Shine finally got over the hump after slaying the giants in Barangay Ginebra, 104-97, for its first win in the 2018 PBA Governors' Cup at the Quezon Convention Center in Lucena on Saturday, October 13.  After dropping their first 4 games, the Elasto Painters just wouldn't ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 13th, 2018

Rain or Shine posts first win, takes down Ginebra

Rain or Shine finally won after taking down powerhouse Barangay Ginebra, 104-97, in the 2018 PBA Governors' Cup Saturday night at Quezon Convention Center in Lucena. Terrence Watson played true to form, finishing with 29 points, 19 rebounds and six blocks to power the Elasto Painters, who lost their first four games. The Painters staved off a late comeback by the Gin Kings, who came to within four with still 2:54 remaining after trailing by 15, 97-82, at the 5:49 mark of the fourth. Gabe Norwood hit a big triple to douse Ginebra's fiery rally with 2:26 left a basket that also turned out to be the game's final points. Jewel Ponferada added 18 points for Rain or Shine, which took...Keep on reading: Rain or Shine posts first win, takes down Ginebra.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 13th, 2018

PBA: ROS finally on the board after stopping Gin Kings

Down goes Ginebra. Rain or Shine is finally on the board in the 2018 PBA Governors Cup, stunning the defending two-time champion Gin Kings, 104-97, Saturday at the Quezon Convention Center in Lucena. Winless through four games, the Elasto Painters got their first win on their fifth try, improving to 1-4 in the standings to jumpstart their chase for a playoff spot. ROS led by as many as 19 points in the third period before nearly losing all of it in the fourth. Luckily, the Elasto Painters had enough to hold off Ginebra for the victory. Terrence Watson played his best game for ROS, firing 29 points on top of 19 rebounds. Three locals also finished in double figures for the Elasto Painters led by 18 points from Jewel Ponferada. For the Gin Kings, it was Justin Brownlee with 23 points. Ginebra dropped to 7-2 with the setback, losing their grip for first place.     --- Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsOct 13th, 2018

PBA: No. 1 Gin Kings out to add on ROS troubles

Two-time defending champion Brgy. Ginebra will be looking to maintain pole position in the 2018 PBA Governors' Cup Saturday. The Gin Kings lead all teams in the season-ending joust with a 7-1 record. They target an eighth win as they take on Rain or Shine in Lucena, Quezon. A win by Ginebra pretty much locks up a twice-to-beat edge in the playoffs and they keep a safe distance from about four other teams at the top of the standings. Meanwhile, the Elasto Painters are still looking for their first win in the Governors' Cup. ROS has struggled all conference long, stumbling to a 0-4 record. Tip off for Ginebra-ROS will be at 5:00 p.m. live from the Quezon Convention Center.   --- Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsOct 12th, 2018

Former Rebels Receive E-CLIP Benefits in Surigao Del Norte

Five former rebels (FRs) were awarded with various benefits under the enhanced comprehensive local integration program (E-CLIP) during the Barangay Development Forum on October 5, 2018 at the Provincial Convention Center, this city. The FRs received livelihood and immediate assistance amounting to PhP65,000 and firearms remuneration of PhP116,000 for AK47 and PhP100,000 for M16 from […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsOct 12th, 2018

Drum rolls, fiery exchanges mark Day 2 of COC filing

      The second day of filing of certificates of candidacy (COC) was another proof that elections in Philippines are not just a simple political affair but more of fiesta and circus. Not only did senatorial aspirants and partylist candidates submitted their COCs to the Commission on Elections (Comelec) main office on Friday, but they also brought a mood resembling Philippine festivities. After a quiet filing of COC by Senator Nancy Binay around 9:00 a.m., the fanfare began when former police chief Ronald dela Rosa formalized his senatorial candidacy under the ruling party, PDP-Laban. As Dela Rosa was welcomed by his supporters, people from Gabriela W...Keep on reading: Drum rolls, fiery exchanges mark Day 2 of COC filing.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 12th, 2018