Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




Prosecutors recommend closing rape case against Neymar

By Mauricio Savarese, Associated Press SAO PAULO (AP) — Brazilian prosecutors recommended Thursday that the investigation of soccer star Neymar on a rape allegation be closed, saying there is a lack of evidence. Sao Paulo state prosecutors Flávia Merlini and Estefânia Paulin said they agree with a police decision of July 30 not to bring charges. A judge will make the final decision. Brazilian model Najila Trindade went to Sao Paulo police to accuse Neymar of raping her at a Paris hotel in May. No complaint was filed with French police. The Associated Press doesn't name alleged sexual assault victims unless they make their identities public, which Trindade did in several interviews. Neymar denied the accusation and said their relations were consensual. He is in France, where he plays for Paris Saint-Germain. "We decided in favor of the closing of the case because there is no sufficient evidence," Merlini said at a news conference. "That doesn't mean acquittal yet. There is still a possibility that the judge reopens the probe." There is no deadline for a judge to rule. Few cases in Brazil are reopened after police and prosecutors suggest their closing. Paulin said the model did not produce any of the evidence she claimed she had, including a video that allegedly proved the player attacked her. "The police investigator asked her to plug her phone to a computer so she could see the video, but she (Trindade) didn't want to do that. She also refused to hand over her phone, and later she said it had been stolen," Paulin said. The prosecutor said Trindade's only injury was to a finger. "The medical report of a private doctor introduced by the victim did not show an injury that proved she was raped," Paulin said. "The slaps and the redness (on Trindade's skin) happened for the satisfaction of both parties." Representatives for Neymar and Trindade did not respond to an AP request for comment on the conclusions of the Sao Paulo state prosecutors. Sao Paulo police are still investigating whether Trindade falsely reported a rape. Police interviewed Trindade three times about her claims. Twelve other people were also questioned. Neymar himself was heard for about five hours in mid-June. Neymar, meanwhile, is still under investigation in a cybercrime case connected to Trindade's allegations. After the model offered the rape charges, he posted images and messages of the accuser without her authorization in his social media channels, in possible violation of her online privacy. The player, who also testified in that investigation in Rio de Janeiro, said the images were posted by his press team......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 9th, 2019

Canada resident home after Iran jail escape – foreign ministry, family

OTTAWA, Canada – An Iranian serving a life sentence on a conviction of designing a pornographic website has fled the country while on short-term release from prison and has arrived in Canada, the foreign ministry and his family said. "Canada welcomes the news that Saeed Malekpour has been reunited with ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 4th, 2019

Digital era: Balancing good and bad

How scarier can life on the internet be when a single Google search for how much a ticket to Disneyland in Hong Kong costs, for example, will result in a barrage of advertisements on the same topic in various other digital sites like Facebook or even your favorite news sites......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 31st, 2019

Pope Francis sanctions former U.S. bishop accused of sexual harassment

VATICAN CITY – Pope Francis has banned a former US bishop accused of sexual harassment and of financial mismanagement from performing the liturgy, the Vatican News website reported Sunday, July 21. The measure was among a series of sanctions the pope had issued against Michael Bransfield, the website reported, citing a ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 21st, 2019

Filipino Priest Elected as New Head of Dominican Mission

The new global leader of the Dominican mission is a Filipino priest. According to an article posted on the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) news website, Fr. Gerard Francisco Timoner III was elected to the position, which he will serve for nine years. He was elected during the General Chapter of the religious […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsJul 15th, 2019

₱2M multa sa magpapakalat ng fake news

PARA matigil na ang pagpapakalat ng maling­ balita o fake news sa mga website at social media platform, gaga­wing na itong isang krimen, ayon kay Senate President Vicente ‘Tito’ Sotto III.The post ₱2M multa sa magpapakalat ng fake news appeared first on Abante News Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  abanteRelated NewsJul 15th, 2019

Serena Williams loses her 3rd consecutive Grand Slam final

By Howard Fendrich, Associated Press WIMBLEDON, England (AP) — The Centre Court crowd kept roaring whenever Serena Williams would win a point in the Wimbledon final, seemingly trying to will her to make things interesting against Simona Halep. Never happened. Instead of earning an eighth title at Wimbledon and record-equaling 24th overall at Grand Slam tournaments, Williams fell one victory short yet again, beaten with surprising ease by Halep 6-2, 6-2 Saturday. Williams has now lost her past three appearances in major finals — and five of her last seven. There's no shame in repeatedly making it to championship matches, of course, but it used to be rather unusual to see her come up just short like this: Williams won 21 of the first 25 Slam finals of her career. "I'm always expected to win," Williams said. That is true. Still, it was the seventh-seeded Halep who grabbed ahold of this match and never let go, finishing with three unforced errors to Williams' 26. Halep created problems by repeatedly tracking down Williams' shots and forcing the 37-year-old American to hit another one and another one and another one to win a point. "I definitely knew that she was just playing her heart out. I felt like, 'OK, what do I need to do to get to that level?'" Williams said. "I don't know if there's anything I could have done differently." After entering the final with a tournament-high 45 aces, Williams only managed two on Saturday. She was broken in half of her eight service games. Halep had a lot to do with that. "I feel like I'm still incredibly competitive or else I wouldn't really be out here, per se," Williams said. "For the most part, I feel like I'm on the right track. I'm just going in the right direction in terms of getting back to where I need to be." She hasn't won a title of any sort since the 2017 Australian Open, when she was pregnant. That was Slam trophy No. 23, breaking a tie with Steffi Graf for the most in the professional era. It also moved Williams within one of Margaret Court's total, although Court won 13 of her 24 major titles before professionals were admitted to Grand Slam tournaments, while all 23 of Williams' major titles have come in the Open era, which began in 1968. Since returning to the tour last season after her daughter was born on Sept. 1, 2017, Williams has reached the finals at three of six major tournaments she entered, defeated in straight sets each time. A year ago, she was the runner-up at Wimbledon to Angelique Kerber, and then the runner-up at the U.S. Open to Naomi Osaka in a final that descended into chaos when Williams was penalized a game for arguing with the chair umpire. Williams recently revealed that she saw a therapist after that episode and sent Osaka a written apology. She's also dealt with a series of injuries and arrived in England having contested only 12 tour-level matches in all of 2019. Just four of the other 127 women in the Wimbledon field had fewer; 105 had at least twice as many. After losing to 20-year-old American Sofia Kenin in the third round of the French Open, Williams stuck around in Paris for medical treatment on her left knee. By the time she began preparing in earnest for Wimbledon, about 1½ weeks before the start of play, she was pain-free. "I feel like I'm just really on this journey of just doing the best that I can," Williams said Saturday, "playing the best that I can when I can." According to the WTA's website, women's tennis pioneer Billie Jean King said recently that she would like to see what Williams could do on the court if she were to put "everything else aside" and "focus on what's necessary" for her tennis. King added: "If she's happy doing it this way, then that's fine. It's whatever makes her happy — it's not about us." The last question of Williams' post-match news conference referenced those comments and asked for a reaction. "The day I stop fighting for equality and for people that look like you and me," Williams said, "will be the day I'm in my grave.".....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJul 14th, 2019

Cebu’s malls, famous sites in fan-made anime video

CEBU CITY, Philippines— Juan Paasa’s Summoning Eru song continues to gain attention especially among Cebuano fans who love anime. Just recently, a fan-made video was posted on Facebook, which highlighted Cebu’s malls and famous places while the Summoning Eru, a Bisaya song sang in the way Japanese anime soundtracks are performed is being played. The […] The post Cebu’s malls, famous sites in fan-made anime video appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 13th, 2019

Cebu ranks 7th in Top Islands in Asia list

CEBU CITY—Cebu was once again recognized as one of the best island destinations in Asia, along with Palawan and Boracay. Cebu ranked number 7 behind Palawan (No. 2) and ahead of Boracay (No. 9) in the Travel+Asia readers’ survey, according to an article posted on the Travel+Leisure website on July 10, 2019. “Every year for […] The post Cebu ranks 7th in Top Islands in Asia list appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 13th, 2019

Operators may need to rehabilitate quarry sites before ban will be lifted

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Quarry operators in Cebu province may need to rehabilitate first the sites where they operate before the Capitol will allow them to resume operations. Governor Gwendolyn Gacia said two teams from the Capitol were already sent out to inspect and document the conditions of the quarry sites located in the component […] The post Operators may need to rehabilitate quarry sites before ban will be lifted appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 11th, 2019

Palawan pang-8 sa 10 bansang dapat bisitahin sa Asya

Kinikilala ng travel website na Lonely Pla-net ang Palawan bilang pang-walo sa Top 10 best places to visit in the Asia Pacific.The post Palawan pang-8 sa 10 bansang dapat bisitahin sa Asya appeared first on Abante News Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  abanteRelated NewsJul 11th, 2019

Radio anchor shot dead in Kidapawan

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 11 July) – Gunmen shot dead on Wednesday night an anchor of a radio station in Kidapawan City, Cotabato province, the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) said. NUJP said Eduardo “Ed” Dizon, of 97.5 Brigada News FM, was driving home to Tejada Subdivision in Makilala town after hosting […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsJul 11th, 2019

Rico Blanco nabuwisit sa showbiz website

Dahil lang sa pagkukumpara kay Rico Blanco kay Keanu Reeves, na kesyo siya nga ang Pinoy version nito (parehong mahaba ang buhok), at sa ginamit na titulo ng isang website/online na; ‘Rico Blanco, ayaw ma-label bilang Keanue Reeves ng Pilipinas’, nagalit na ang singer/aktor.The post Rico Blanco nabuwisit sa showbiz website appeared first on Abante News Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  abanteRelated NewsJul 10th, 2019

Rappler, The Investigative Journal to partner on investigative reporting

MANILA, Philippines – The UK-based journalism platform The Investigative Journal and Philippine news website Rappler announced a partnership on Monday, July 8, to jointly work on investigations and share content. The collaboration will see the coming together of two publishers with a shared belief in holding ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 9th, 2019

Popular Cebu sites given a pixel art twist send netizens abuzz

CEBU CITY, Philippines— A Cebuano animator gave a new look to some of the famous places here in Cebu but turning them into pixel art. Gian Piero Akira Espeleta, 30, a 2d and 3d animator in Cebu shared his artworks in his Facebook account last July 4. Espeleta took Cebu to a whole new level […] The post Popular Cebu sites given a pixel art twist send netizens abuzz appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 7th, 2019

Filipinos ranked 3rd sexiest among 50 nationalities in the world — survey

By Jannielyn Ann Bigtas/GMA News – Big 7 Travel, a travel and food website, conducted a survey of the sexiest nationalities in the world and Filipinos came as 3rd among 50 nationalities named. The Big 7 Travel article gave a shoutout to popular Philippine representations: boxing champion and Senator Manny Read more ».....»»

Category: newsSource:  thepinoyRelated NewsJul 1st, 2019

IS claims Sulu suicide bombing; 8 dead

The Islamic State (IS), to which some commanders of the Abu Sayyaf and militants who attacked Marawi City two years ago had pledged allegiance, has claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing at a military camp in Sulu province that killed eight people. Officials said 12 other soldiers and 10 civilians were wounded in Friday’s noontime […] The post IS claims Sulu suicide bombing; 8 dead appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 30th, 2019

Pekeng Lea Salonga manloloko, nagso-solicit ng pera sa fans

MUKHANG paboritong biktimahin ngayon ng mga sindikato sa social media ang international singer na si Lea Salonga. Matapos ngang gamitin ang kanyang pangalan at mga litrato sa mga fake news sites at pekeng endorsements, muling nabiktima si Lea ng isang poser na nanghihingi ng pera sa kanyang mga fans. Agad na binigyan ng warning ng […] The post Pekeng Lea Salonga manloloko, nagso-solicit ng pera sa fans appeared first on Bandera......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 29th, 2019

[Right of Way] The Wunder closure: Why can t commuters have nice things?

Bookmark to watch on Friday, June 28, at 4:30 PM MANILA, Philippines – On Monday, June 24, carpooling app Wunder announced in an email blast to its users it would cease its Manila operations effective Friday, June 28. Hailed as an alternative to ride-sharing app Grab, the news prompted its legion of faithful ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 28th, 2019

San Remigio turns to solar power for clean, cheap energy

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The municipality of San Remigio in northern Cenu has taken a step towards use of sustainable and cheaper energy. San Remigio, a third class municipality located 91.5 kilometers north of Cebu City, has installed P3 million worth of solar panels at the roof of the municipal hall to provide an alternative […] The post San Remigio turns to solar power for clean, cheap energy appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 23rd, 2019