Advertisements


African countries demand Trump apology

UNITED NATIONS -- A group of "extremely appalled" African countries demanded Friday that US President Donald Trump retract and apologize for his reported denunciation of immigration from "shithole" nations. After an emergency session to weigh Trump's remarks, the group of African ambassadors to the United Nations said it was "concerned at the continuing and growing trend from the US administration toward Africa and people of African descent to denigrate the continent and people of color." The group is "extremely appalled at, and strongly condemns the outrageous, racist and xenophobic remarks by the president of the United States of America as widely reported by the media," a st...Keep on reading: African countries demand Trump apology.....»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerJan 13th, 2018

Trump scrambles as ‘shithole’ slur fuels outrage

WASHINGTON, D.C.: US President Donald Trump sought Friday to quell a global firestorm over his reported denunciation of immigration from “shithole countries” — a slur slammed at home and abroad as racist. Trump tweeted a convoluted denial early Friday about the comments allegedly made on Thursday at a White House meeting with lawmakers on immigration [...] The post Trump scrambles as ‘shithole’ slur fuels outrage appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJan 13th, 2018

Trump uses slur to describe immigrants from Haiti, Africa

WASHINGTON DC, USA – President Donald Trump reportedly lashed out in a meeting on Thursday, January 11, with lawmakers about immigration reform, demanding to know why the US should accept citizens from what he called "shithole" countries. The comments, first reported by The Washington Post, sparked anger among Democrats and Republicans ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 12th, 2018

Guantanamo prisoners sue Trump alleging anti-Muslim bias

WASHINGTON, DC, USA – Eleven detainees at the US military's Guantanamo Bay prison sued President Donald Trump on Thursday, January 11, saying they were being illegally held on the basis of being Muslims.  Following a strategy previously used by opponents of Trump's travel ban on visitors from 6 mostly-Muslim countries, the ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 12th, 2018

Trump: Why allow immigrants from shithole countries ?

Trump: Why allow immigrants from shithole countries ?.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 12th, 2018

Seoul: North Korea to send delegation to Olympics in South

By Hyung-Jin Kim, Associated Press SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea agreed Tuesday to send a delegation to next month's Winter Olympics in South Korea, Seoul officials said, as the bitter rivals sat for rare talks at the border to discuss how to cooperate in the Olympics and improve their long-strained ties. The Koreas' first talks in two years were arranged after North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un recently made an abrupt push for improved ties with South Korea after a year of elevated tensions with the outside world over his expanding nuclear and missile programs. Critics say Kim may be trying to divide Seoul and Washington in a bid to weaken international pressure and sanctions on the North. During the talks, the North Korean delegation said it would send an Olympic delegation, which includes officials, athletes, cheerleaders, journalists and others, South Korea's Vice Unification Minister Chun Hae-sung told reporters, according to media footage from the border village of Panmunjom, the venue for the talks. The South Korean delegation, for its part, proposed North Korea send a big delegation and conduct a joint march during the Feb. 9-25 Game's opening and closing ceremonies, Chun, one of the five South Korean negotiators, said. He said South Korea also suggested resuming temporary reunions of families separated by war and offering military talks designed to reduce animosities in frontline areas. South Korea also stressed the need to achieve denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, Chun said. North Korea responded by saying the two Koreas must try to promote peace and reconciliation through dialogue, he said. The two sides were to continue their negotiations later Tuesday at Panmunjom, the only place on the tense border where North and South Korean soldiers are just feet away from each other. A North Korean soldier late last year defected to the South across Panmunjom amid a hail of bullets fired by his comrades. He was hit five times but survived. The meeting began with an amicable atmosphere Tuesday morning, with chief North Korean delegate Ri Son Gwon saying he hopes the talks would give "a New Year's first gift — precious results (of the talks) to the Korean nation." Ri's South Korean counterpart, Unification Minister Cho Myoung-gyon, said he also hopes they would come up with a "good gift" for people in both Koreas. The overall prospect for the negotiations was still unclear. The two Koreas have a long history of ending key talks without any agreement and failing to follow through with rapprochement accords. An agreement on the North's Olympic participation had been widely expected before the talks began, but the Koreas remain sharply at odds over how to improve their overall ties. North Korea is expected to demand rewards in return for South Korea's offer for family reunions and military talks, like Seoul halting propaganda broadcasts and scaling back or halting military drills with the U.S., observers say. Suspension of the military drills would be unacceptable for Seoul because that would seriously undermine the alliance with its chief ally the United States, which wants to put more pressures on Pyongyang. The North views the drills as a rehearsal for a northward invasion. President Donald Trump on Saturday expressed hope for some progress from the talks and said he was open to talking with Kim himself. But U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley later said the U.S. administration isn't changing its conditions regarding talks with North Korea, saying Kim would first need to stop weapons testing for a "significant amount of time." In his New Year's Day address, Kim said there is an urgent need to improve inter-Korean ties and that he is willing to send a delegation to the Pyeongchang Games. He urged Seoul to halt the military drills with the U.S. and said he has a "nuclear button" to launch missiles at any target in the United States. South Korean liberal President Moon Jae-in, who favors dialogue as a way to defuse the North Korean nuclear standoff, welcomed Kim's outreach and proposed talks at Panmunjom. Kim quickly accepted. "As President Moon has said, the improvement of relations between North and South Korea cannot advance separately from resolving North Korea's nuclear program," Brian Hook, a chief adviser to U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, told reporters in a conference call late Monday Washington time. "And so, we remain focused on our global pressure campaign. That campaign is designed to bring Kim Jong Un to the table for meaningful negations." The Trump administration agreed last week to delay springtime military drills with South Korea until after the Games. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis insisted the delay was a practical necessity to accommodate the Olympics, not a political gesture. Trump and Kim traded bellicose warlike rhetoric and even crude insults last year, as the North conducted it sixth and most powerful nuclear detonation and three tests of intercontinental ballistic missiles. The International Olympic Committee said Monday it has "kept the door open" for North Korea to take part in the Games. IOC spokesman Mark Adams said the registration deadline has been extended and that the Switzerland-based committee supports North Korean athletes in the qualification process, while respecting U.N. sanctions against North Korea......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 9th, 2018

Letters From Davao by Jun Ledesma

‘It was a good year’ We have seen the litany of achievements of Duterte administration. It dwarfed the entire six years of the Aquino regime. It could have done better except that it has to first fix a lot of damages wrought by an inept regime that has likewise institutionalized corruption and abetted crime the most horrific of it all – the drug syndicates.  Space or brevity must have limited some significant achievements of the  Department of Finance and am referring to the upgrades of credit ratings of the Philippines from investment grade to investment grade and stable. While early on Standard & Poor’s claimed that President Duterte’s war on drugs and alleged extra-judicial killings are factors that account for the static rating by December 2017 it grudgingly acceded that something good is happening in the Philippines under Duterte’s watch.  Finance Sec. Sonny Dominguez and his team deserves the credit. Fitch and Moody’s in their “investment grade and stable” rating in December enunciated that the issues surrounding drugs and EJK have nothing to do with the rosy economy of the country and its image as capital investment destination. The country’s economic performance for one is top in Asia and there is no turning back with the expected massive spending on infrastructures and government services starting 2018 and beyond.  The Duterte government achievements scoreboard makes the moribund opposition drooling. Still on Finance, expect the billionaires who are also the country’s tax dodgers to cough up. TRAIN or the Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion gives a huge relief to 99 percent of those small taxpayers saving the ar least P50,000.00 in tax cut!  But demands and exacts the reasonable taxes from the rich especially the filthy rich. Last year sampling of Lucio Tan (P6-billion), Mighty Cigarettes (P40-billion) and the Prieto and Rufinos’ one-mile asset that they are accountable to the government in still unquantifiable amount as yet? There is a subliminal message to be absorbed why candidate Rodrigo R. Duterte refused to accept donations from the rich and famous: just pay your taxes correctly and you’re okay.  The Bureau of Internal Revenue and the Bureau of Customs are churning more collections under a continuing reforms.  President Duterte himself did dramatic and radical transformations in the area of Foreign Affairs and security. He was chided and lectured on by self proclaimed experts in diplomacy and security alliances especially with the generous expletives he is famous for. But as he admitted to the point of being apologetic, he told media men in this year’s Christmas party, “but that is me”.  Duterte’s foray into foreign affairs and diplomacy might be severely lacking in refinements but he put across his message clearly and direct and one cannot quarrel with what he achieved in such a brief moment. He virtually altered the outlook of the western countries on small sovereign nations. He overhauled alliances by an unwritten rule of mutual respect and cognizance of sovereignty. While Aquino made enemies with China which is the world’s second largest economy resulting in unquantifiable losses of opportunities Duterte reversed that with the resumption of trade, financial assistance with cheap money interest, massive infrastructure projects that will come into fruition by 2018. World leaders to include Xi Jinping of China, Vladimir Putin of Russia, PM Shinzo Abe of Japan and, to the dismay of the so-called Yellowtards, US Pres. Donald Trump who became his virtual phone pal.  The Department of Agriculture under Sec. Manny Pinol, did exemplary well. Productivity is better than expected and could have performed better if not for the natural calamities that the country has to contend with. Maybe the Bureau of Fisheries under it may try something out of the box. Propose to China to convert that disputed island into a one big marine laboratory. China provides the infrastructures while the Philippines the technical aquatic expertise. Make a 10-mile no-fishing marine haven around the island and guarded by the joint coastguard forces of China, Philippines and Vietnam. The Philippine Coconut Authority under Cabinet Sec. Jun Evasco is about to embark on a massive replanting program.  The Aquino government allocated billions of pesos to fight ‘cocolisap’ infestation but applied the wrong solution. Well, what do we expect from a certain Kiko Pangilinan? The replanting program was a big failure on account of  massive graft in high and low places. Replanting as well as new areas had been programmed by PCA.  Finally we have to give accolade to our Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Philippine National Police for combating internal threats, terrorism and syndicated crime. The AFP and PNP are more prepared and better equipped now than any other time in history. Furthermore we see a disciplined forces in the AFP and while there are a few remaining scalawags in the PNP the cleansing process is done without let-up. We from Mindanao are comfortable and secured with their presence even under the aegis of martial law. If you do not believe me look at the various surveys on the popularity and trust of Filipinos on President Duterte and his government.  This will end my perspectives for year 2017 and we look forward to 2018 the Build, Build, Build era. The beginning of the new Philippines. Mindanao and Davao City, from where I live and write, may have suffered from natural calamities but we had seen, suffered and endured worse scenarios and even man made tragedies than […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsDec 29th, 2017

Philippines abstains as UN votes to rebuke Trump s Jerusalem decision

MANILA, Philippines (Updated 9:42 am.) — The Philippines and 34 other countries abstained on the United Nations vote on the resolution deman Source link link: Philippines abstains as UN votes to rebuke Trump's Jerusalem decision.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsDec 22nd, 2017

Philippines abstains as UN votes to rebuke Trump s Jerusalem decision

MANILA, Philippines (Updated 9:42 am.) — The Philippines and 34 other countries abstained on the United Nations vote on the resolution deman.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 22nd, 2017

UN votes on Jerusalem after Trump warns we re watching

UNITED NATIONS – UN member-states will vote on Thursday, December 21, on a motion rejecting US recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital , under strong pressure from President Donald Trump who has threatened to cut funding to countries that back the measure. The UN General Assembly will hold an emergency session to decide on ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 21st, 2017

Trump threatens to cut aid to UN members over Jerusalem vote

U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday threatened to cut off financial aid to countries that vote in favor of a draft United Nations resolution calling for the United States to withdraw its decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital. Source link link: Trump threatens to cut aid to UN members over Jerusalem vote.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsDec 20th, 2017

Trump watching

UNITED NATIONS, United States -- US Ambassador Nikki Haley on Tuesday warned countries that she will report back to President Donald Trump with the names of those who support a draft resolution rejecting the US decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital. The UN General Assembly will hold an emergency….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsDec 20th, 2017

US short of options to punish NKorea for serious cyberattack

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration vowed Tuesday that North Korea would be held accountable for a May cyberattack that affected 150 countries, but it didn.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 20th, 2017

Arab ministers demand reversal of Trump Jerusalem decision

A rab foreign ministers on Sunday demanded that the United States rescind President Donald Trump’s decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, calling it a “grave” development that puts Washington on the same side as “occupation” and the violation of international law. #BeFullyInformed Arab ministers demand reversal of Trump Jerusalem decision Cairo – Arab foreign… link: Arab ministers demand reversal of Trump Jerusalem decision.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsDec 11th, 2017

Arab ministers demand Trump rescind Jerusalem decision

CAIRO, Egypt – Arab foreign ministers on Saturday, December 9, called on the United States to rescind its recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital and for the international community to recognize a Palestinian state.  In a resolution after an emergency meeting in Cairo, Arab League member ministers said that the ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 10th, 2017

116 groups from 25 countries demand end to attacks on environmental defenders in ‘Asia’s deadliest country’

Environmental and other nongovernmental organizations from 25 countries are demanding the Duterte government act immediately to stop killings and other abuses of environmental defenders in the country......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsDec 7th, 2017

WHO on Dengvaxia, Dela Rosa’s replacement, Trump on Jerusalem | Midday wRap

Today on Rappler: The World Health Organization says it never gave a recommendation to the Philippines and other countries to use the world’s first dengue vaccine in their national immunization programs. A top police official says President Rodrigo Duterte already named a replacement for Philippine National Police chief Ronald ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 6th, 2017

Supreme Court allows Trump travel ban to take effect pending appeal

The US Supreme Court said on Monday that the government could fully enforce a revised ban on travelers from six mainly Muslim countries pending appeal, backing President Donald Trump in the year-long battle over the controversial measure. The court stayed October rulings from two lower courts that had blocked implementation of the ban on visitors [...] The post Supreme Court allows Trump travel ban to take effect pending appeal appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsDec 5th, 2017

Trump travel ban to take effect pending court appeal

WASHINGTON DC, USA (UPDATED) – The US Supreme Court said Monday, December 4, that the government could fully enforce a revised ban on travelers from 6 mainly Muslim countries pending appeal, backing President Donald Trump in the year-long battle over the controversial measure. The court stayed October rulings from two ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 5th, 2017

US top court lets Trump’s latest travel ban go into full effect

The US Supreme Court on Monday handed a victory to President Donald Trump by allowing his latest travel ban targeting people from six Muslim-majority countries to go into full effect even as legal challenges continue in lower courts. Source link link: US top court lets Trump’s latest travel ban go into full effect.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsDec 4th, 2017

UK woman wrongly tweeted by Trump waiting for apology

A British woman inundated with unwanted attention after US President Donald Trump sent her a scolding tweet intended for Prime Minister Theresa May said Thursday she was waiting for an apology. Source link link: UK woman wrongly tweeted by Trump 'waiting' for apology.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsNov 30th, 2017