Advertisements


8 dead as Holy Week parties turn tragic in Northern Luzon

TUGUEGARAO CITY --- Eight people, three of them children, drowned in separate incidents in Cagayan and Pangasinan provinces during the Holy Week break, according to police reports. Kent Santos, 23, a construction worker, drowned when he and his friends were swept by the strong current while swimming on Good Friday at the Pozorobo beach in Barangay San Vicente in Sta. Ana town, Cagayan. They were among hundreds of motorcycle enthusiasts who converged at Pozorobo for the Partakan Festival, a private event. Santos' body was found in nearby Anguib beach on Easter Sunday. Still missing Also on Friday, Rowel Trinidad drowned after taking a dip at the Duba cave and lagoon at Baranga...Keep on reading: 8 dead as Holy Week parties turn tragic in Northern Luzon.....»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerApr 1st, 2018

‘Ompong’ leaves 114 dead

A week after devastating Northern Luzon, Typhoon Ompong left 114 dead in the region and other parts of the country, with dozens still missing. Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Salamat, commander of the military’s Northern Luzon Command, on Sunday said 48 bodies have been recovered by authorities in Barangay Ucab, Itogon, Benguet, where a bunkhouse collapsed last [...] The post ‘Ompong’ leaves 114 dead appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsSep 23rd, 2018

A reminder from ‘Lawin’

Amid this country’s woes on the domestic and international fronts, typhoon “Lawin” ripped through Northern Luzon this week, leaving in its trail at least seven people dead, five missing, homes and livelihoods destroyed, and billions of p.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsOct 21st, 2016

2 dozen dead in northern US cold - The Manila Times Online

CHICAGO: The dangerous cold and heavy snow that hobbled the northern US this week has retreated, but not before exacting a human toll: more than two dozen weather-related deaths inREAD The post 2 doze.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsFeb 3rd, 2019

Deep freeze: Dozens dead, hundreds hurt

CHICAGO — The dangerous cold and heavy snow that hobbled the northern U.S. this week has retreated, but not before exacting a human toll: more than two dozen weather-related deaths in eight states and hundreds of injuries, including frostbite, broken bones, heart attacks and carbon monoxide poisoning. In Illinois alone, hospitals reported more than 220 […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsFeb 2nd, 2019

Baguio City chill dips to 10.4C anew

MANILA, Philippines -- Residents and tourists in Baguio City welcomed Monday morning with a cool 10.4 degrees Celsius.   The temperature dip was observed at 6 a.m., the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration said.   It is the lowest drop this year as the northeast monsoon, or hanging amihan, mostly prevails over Northern Luzon.   Mercury levels in Baguio City plummeted to 10.4 degrees Celsius also last week.   For Monday, the northeast monsoon is currently affecting the whole country, Pagasa said.   Cagayan Valley, the Cordillera Administrative Region, Caraga, Davao Region, Aurora, and Quezon ...Keep on reading: Baguio City chill dips to 10.4C anew.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 28th, 2019

Hired killers strike in Ilocos Sur and Abra just before gun ban

BAGUIO, Philippines – Guns-for-hire are becoming more visible in Northern Luzon last week as the election season's gun ban was about to start Sunday, January 13. Two alleged assailants were killed Tuesday last week, January 8, in Cabugao town in Ilocos Sur after fighting it out with the Criminal Investigation and Detection ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 14th, 2019

40 dead in Burkina Faso clashes - UN | The Manila Times Online

More than 40 civilians have been reportedly killed during intercommunal clashes this week in northern Burkina Faso, prompting United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Antnio Guterres to issue a statement.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJan 8th, 2019

From cars to bars: The Japanese cell of Nissan’s Carlos Ghosn

TOKYO, Japan --- A solitary cell, 30 minutes of daily exercise and two baths a week: Carlos Ghosn's new routine is a world away from the private jets and lavish parties the millionaire tycoon once enjoyed. The 64-year-old auto industry titan stands accused of serious financial misconduct and is being questioned at a concrete 12-floor detention centre in northern Tokyo which also houses convicted criminals and even death-row inmates. While it is impossible to know Ghosn's exact surroundings, lawyers who have made several visits there to clients as well as former detainees paint a picture of an austere facility where solitude is the biggest enemy. Veteran attorney Yoshiro Ito ...Keep on reading: From cars to bars: The Japanese cell of Nissan’s Carlos Ghosn.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 22nd, 2018

Death toll rises to 76 in California fire; 1,300 unaccounted for

CHICO, California, United States --- Northern California crews battling the country's deadliest wildfire in a century were bracing for strong winds, with gusts up to 50 miles per hour, creating the potential to erode gains they have made in containing a disaster that has killed at least 76 and leveled a town. Even as hundreds of searchers sift through the rubble in the town of Paradise looking for the dead, nearly 1,300 people remain unaccounted for more than a week after the fire sparked in Butte County, Sheriff Kory Honea announced Saturday night. Authorities stressed that the long roster does not mean they believe all those people are missing. Honea pleaded with fire evacuee...Keep on reading: Death toll rises to 76 in California fire; 1,300 unaccounted for.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 18th, 2018

9 out of 11 Natonin barangays still isolated due to landslide | News

A week had passed since Typhoon Rosita ravaged Northern Luzon, but most of the barangays in the lanslide-hit town of Natonin, Mountain Province remained isolated......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsNov 7th, 2018

‘Rosita’ leaves P2.34-B worth of damage to agriculture – DA

A TOTAL of P2.34 billion worth of agricultural crops were damaged in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) and Northern Luzon, which were hit hard by typhoon “Rosita” (Yutu) last week,...READ MORE The post ‘Rosita’ leaves P2.34-B worth of damage to agriculture – DA appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsNov 5th, 2018

Graves destroyed in Typhoon Rosita’s onslaught

Even the dead were not spared from the wrath of Typhoon Rosita that ravaged northern Luzon just days before All Saints’ Day. Source link link: Graves destroyed in Typhoon Rosita’s onslaught.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsNov 1st, 2018

18 dead, P112M crops lost in Rosita’s wake

Typhoon Rosita (international code name: Yutu) has left 18 people dead, with most of the victims killed in landslides in Northern Luzon, authorities reported on Wednesday. Rescuers used hand tools...READ MORE The post 18 dead, P112M crops lost in Rosita’s wake appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsOct 31st, 2018

Evacuation starts for ‘Rosita’

Evacuation of residents in areas threatened by flood, landslides and storm surges started yesterday in some parts of Luzon as typhoon “Rosita” swirled towards the northern region on Monday.The storm is expected to hit land in the Isabela-Aurora area early Tuesday before millions of Filipinos troop to cemeteries to honor their dead during the All […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsOct 29th, 2018

PAGASA: Typhoon Yutu may affect Northern Luzon

What's the weather like in your area? Report the situation through Rappler's  Agos  or tweet us at  @rapplerdotcom . MANILA, Philippines – Typhoon Yutu, which is heading for the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR), could affect Northern Luzon next week. In a bulletin released 5 pm on Thursday, October 25, ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 25th, 2018

Red-tagging against progressives intensify

In a span of one week, a smear campaign using printed materials and online memes were circulated by suspected military agents and the police. Members of partylists, human rights advocates, including media practitioners in Northern Luzon are being tagged as New People’s Army (NPA) members and recruiters......»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsOct 21st, 2018

This Week’s Milestones: Oct. 7-13, 2018

Oct. 7, 1660   Residents of Pampanga province took up arms to try to liberate themselves from Spanish colonizers' forced labor policy.   The uprising, also known as the Kapampangan Revolt of 1660, was led by Mexico town native Francisco Maniago.   Members of the native force also included Pangasinenses, Cagayanos and Ilocanos.   The Kapampangan Revolt sparked uprisings in Northern Luzon.   Oct. 11, 1899   Former President Emilio Aguinaldo moved the seat of government to Tarlac province after the Americans began their offensive and captured San Isidro town in Nueva Ecija province.   When the American forces a...Keep on reading: This Week’s Milestones: Oct. 7-13, 2018.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 6th, 2018

Still no power in Cagayan, Kalinga due to Typhoon Ompong

Power has yet to be fully restored in Cagayan and Kalinga after Typhoon Ompong hit Northern Luzon last week......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 27th, 2018

Analysts expect fresh 50bp rate hike

THE BANGKO SENTRAL ng Pilipinas (BSP) will likely raise interest rates by another 50 basis points (bp) this week, according to most analysts in a BusinessWorld poll, citing inflation fueled by damage from the storm that ravaged Northern Luzon the other week and unrelenting oil price hikes. The post Analysts expect fresh 50bp rate hike appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsSep 24th, 2018

Editorial: Soundbytes and the blame game

On the disaster left by Ompong in northern luzon and in the Visayas that was drenched too by the torrential rains that the typhoon pulled along its way across the islands. As of today the Cordillera reports 83 deaths mostly in Benguet province and from Cebu 14 dead. The President and his “men” made the rounds of the disaster battered town centers in the north and also in the Visayas......»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsSep 23rd, 2018