Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




Tabuena hones up for Open defense

MANILA, Philippines - Miguel Tabuena is to play in a series of top-level tournaments abroad in preparation for his Solaire Philippine Open defense this March.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 18th, 2017

Lower income tax for wage earners proposed

MANILA, Philippines - A lower income tax rate for millions of salaried workers should be in place by 2018, Albay Rep......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 17th, 2017

Klinsmann believes US Soccer made progress before his firing

GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer br /> LOS ANGELES (AP) — Jurgen Klinsmann is proud of his half-decade in charge of the U.S. national team, and the coach believes he left successor Bruce Arena in a position to make the Americans even better. Klinsmann made his first public remarks since his firing when he spoke Friday at a convention of the National Soccer Coaches Association of America in downtown Los Angeles. Klinsmann agreed to speak at the session before losses in the first two games of the final round of World Cup qualifying led to his dismissal. Klinsmann also was the program's technical director for his final three years in charge, supervising every aspect of the team's development and training. 'The results will tell in the future if it helped Bruce to achieve the goals that are set,' Klinsmann said. 'But I think whenever you have the chance to put your stamp on a program, you do it with everything you have, and that's what I tried to do. I think we achieved a lot within the system of U.S. Soccer, connecting a lot of dots — even though there are so many out there that are disconnected, which we know. But now it's there for the next group of leaders to continue that.' When his team lost at home to Mexico and at Costa Rica late last year, falling into an early hole in qualifying for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, Klinsmann was fired by the U.S. Soccer Federation on Nov. 21 after 5 1/2 years. Klinsmann didn't appear to agree with the decision, but he understands how it was reached. 'You have to be measured against benchmarks,' Klinsmann said. 'You cannot lose to Costa Rica and Mexico (if) that's the benchmark. Then that's the benchmark, and you have to live with that.' Klinsmann took the U.S. job after stints in charge of the German national team and Bayern Munich. The Americans won 16 games in his first year in charge, and they later claimed the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup title and a spot in the second round of the 2014 World Cup. But the program encountered several recent setbacks, and criticism grew for Klinsmann's style and strategy. The Americans still reached last year's Copa America semifinals before getting routed 4-0 by Argentina. Klinsmann wryly recalled that loss, saying it was a 'fair question' to ask how U.S. Soccer could accept such a blowout. Hyperbolizing, he said a team led by Lionel Messi 'could have given us eight' against the best American squad. Arena, who coached the U.S. from 1998 to 2006, opened the first training camp of his second stint this week, welcoming roughly 30 Major League Soccer-based players to a month-long camp. The U.S. resumes qualifying at home against Honduras on March 24, then plays four days later at Panama. Arena's roster includes several players ignored by Klinsmann, who at times seemed to preferred those on European clubs. He also engaged in public clashes with popular veterans, most notably leaving Landon Donovan off the 2014 World Cup team. Klinsmann, a World Cup champion player with West Germany in 1990, looks at his relationships with the top American players through the lens of experience now. 'I think as a player, you are kind of in a mindset where you know it always better than the coach, so you go through your career as a player and you never have the perfect coach,' he said. 'Later on, when you become a coach, you realize you were so wrong.' Klinsmann got a standing ovation from the audience of soccer coaches after his hour-long remarks during an interview and question-and-answer session. The coaches in attendance asked Klinsmann extensively about his technique and philosophy around numerous aspects of the job. 'As coaches, it's important to look outside and see, 'How do they do it there?'' Klinsmann said. 'We are always learning. I want to encourage you to understand how a better plan can be built.' As for his unfinished work with the U.S. team, Klinsmann sounded philosophical about that, as well. 'I think we all need to be aware that we're just part of a certain timeline, and then somebody else takes over and takes it to the next level in his own way,' he said. 'But a lot has been done in the last five years which I've been really proud of.' .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 14th, 2017

Malampaya shutdown to raise power rates in March

MANILA, Philippines – Power rates are seen to go up by P1.44 per kilowatt-hour (kwh), a little higher than earlier projections in March following the 20-day.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 11th, 2017

Valdez promises to return to V-League after Thailand stint

Filipina volleyball superstar Alyssa Valdez will be away for four months to play overseas but promised to still see action in the next season of the V-League. Valdez is set to leave for Thailand on January 15 to join 3BB Nakornnont for the second round of the Thai League and for the Thai-Denmark Super League which will run until the second week of April. But the former Ateneo de Manila Queen Eagle said that she’ll return after her stint in Thailand to play in the 14th season of the V-League.    “Yun nga din. Well I think naiintindihan din naman nila (V-League) ang schedule so I guess if aabot or may team din na willing tanggapin ako kahit may mga ganoong circumstances OK naman ‘yun sa akin. Pero then again if wala naman Ok lang din sa akin,” said the three-time UAAP Most Valuable Player. The V-League will open in March with the staging of the Reinforced Conference. If a V-League team taps Valdez, the open hitter won’t be available until midway in the conference. “Basta no matter what kung aabot ako o hindi ako aabot. Kung may willing magpalaro sa akin, basta kung kaya lalaro naman talaga ako here,” added the 23-year-old two-time UAAP champion. Valdez last played for Bureau of Customs in the V-League Reinforced Conference, leading the young team to a runner-up finish after absorbing a Finals series sweep against powerhouse Pocari Sweat in the import-laden season-ending tournament.   But the pride of San Juan, Batangas’ contract with BoC has expired after the conference and she is open to entertain other interested clubs. Valdez played for BaliPure in the Open Conference before transferring to BoC. “Wala akong (contract sa BoC) kasi di ba new season, new year na din? So I think it’s a brand new discussion and brand new (contract) na rin,” said Valdez. Valdez debuts for 3BB Nakornnont, where she will be reunited with BoC teammates Kanjana Kuthaisong and Nattanicha Jaisaen, on January 29.         --- Follow this writer on Twitter, @fromtheriles .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 10th, 2017

100% pay hike for soldiers, cops in 2018

MANILA, Philippines – The administration would be able to fulfill President Duterte’s promise to double the salaries of soldiers and policemen one-and-a-half.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 7th, 2017

Coco: I, too, was an OFW

I’m not sure if Coco Martin has watched Sunday Beauty Queen, Best Picture in the Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) which officially ends today......»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 6th, 2017

Government issues budget call for 2018 outlay

MANILA, Philippines – After getting the bulk of their budget this year, agencies were called on to submit their budget proposals for the P3.825 trillion outl.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 3rd, 2017

Bluejays drop first game to defending champion Villanova

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) -- It was New Year's Eve, but it sure felt like March to Josh Hart and the rest of the top-ranked Villanova Wildcats. The defending national champions overcame an early 10-point deficit, Hart's slow start and a frenzied crowd to defeat No. 10 Creighton 80-70 on Saturday. ''It's good to get in here, play Villanova basketball against a tough team and have something we can build on,'' Hart said. ''We know we can get a lot better. In March we can say we played in a tough environment. We faced adversity and we overcame it.'' Jalen Brunson scored a career-high 27 points, including 11 in a row as the Wildcats wiped out their early deficit, and Villanova (14-0, 2-0 Big East) extended its school-record winning streak to 20 games. The game marked only the second time in Big East history that two unbeaten teams met in a conference game, and it lived up to the hype with nine lead changes and five ties before the Wildcats pulled away late. Kris Jenkins added 21 points and Hart had 18 points and 10 rebounds for the Wildcats. Marcus Foster led the Bluejays (13-1, 1-1) with 22 points. Justin Patton had 18 points and eight rebounds. ''Certainly disappointed we lost, but a great learning experience for us,'' Creighton coach Greg McDermott said. ''Villanova is terrific. We knew they we were terrific and knew it would take a great effort to win.'' The Wildcats were the first defending national champion to visit Omaha since 1946, and the third-largest crowd (18,831) in the CenturyLink Center's 13-year history was there to greet them. The towel-waving fans filled the seats early and made the building as loud as it's ever been as the Bluejays ran onto the court. Creighton used that fuel to make its first five shots and build a quick 10-point lead. ''I'm happy this is my last time here,'' Hart said. ''This environment is crazy, it's hectic. When they get on a run, you hear it. We'll be talking on the court and we can barely hear what we're saying. One time Coach called a play, I had no idea what he was calling. Kris was 5 feet away trying to tell me, and I was like, 'What are you saying?''' After Isaiah Zierden's 3-pointer with 4:47 left tied it at 66, the Bluejays missed four straight shots before Maurice Watson Jr. snaked his way for a layup to cut the deficit to five with a minute left. The Wildcats made all six of their free throws in the last 36 seconds to finish off the win. Brunson and Hart hit clutch shots to keep Villanova mostly in control the second half. Donte DiVincenzo's tear-drop shot put Villanova up 63-54 before Patton's two dunks started a 9-0 run that tied it with 7:41 to play. Creighton went cold after that, and Villanova ran off to its fifth straight win over the Bluejays. ''We knew we had to stick to what we were doing,'' Hart said, ''and that's just being solid and playing Villanova basketball for 40 minutes. We know against the best teams it's going to take 40 minutes. This is a great team, one of the best in our league.'' BIG PICTURE Villanova: The Wildcats showed the mettle of a champion in maybe the most challenging atmosphere in which they'll play this season. Creighton: In a game with nine lead changes and five ties, the Bluejays went toe-to-toe with Villanova until the last 4 minutes and still look like a team capable of making a deep run in March. POLL IMPLICATIONS Villanova remains a solid No. 1, and Creighton does not merit a demotion from No. 10 after giving the Wildcats all they wanted. HE SAID IT ''It's a completely different crew, completely different team, and we're playing differently. But they have to deal with everyone else's impact from last season. They have to deal with everybody treating them like the No. 1 team, like former national champions, still talking about last year. It's part of the responsibility. It's a good challenge to have.'' Villanova coach Jay Wright, on how his players have handled expectations during a 14-0 start. UP NEXT Villanova visits Butler on Wednesday. Creighton visits St. John's on Wednesday. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsDec 31st, 2016

PCA eyes release of P75 B coco levy fund by March 2017

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA) hopes to release P75 billion in coco levy funds held in trust by March next year......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 27th, 2016

Southridge, Malaya reign in Ceres Cup

MANILA, Philippines - Southridge collared two titles while Malaya FC completed a three-peat as they led the victors’ march in the third Ceres-La Salle Umbro.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 19th, 2016

Southridge, Malaya rule Ceres Cup

MANILA, Philippines – Southridge collared two titles while Malaya FC completed a three-peat as they led the victors’ march in the third Ceres-La Salle Umbro.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 19th, 2016

2016 Asia Rugby U-19 Championship: Koreans silence Philippine Volcanoes

MANILA, Philippines – Korea poured it all in the final nine minutes to thwart host Philippines, 26-10, and march into the finals of the 2016 Asia Rugby U-19.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 14th, 2016

Junior Volcanoes fall to Koreans in Asia U-19 rugby semis

MANILA, Philippines – Korea poured it all in the final nine minutes to thwart host Philippines, 26-10, and march into the finals of the 2016 Asia Rugby U-19.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 14th, 2016

Soft netter Zoleta-Manalac tightens grip on elite ranking

MANILA, Philippines – Soft netter Noelle Conchita Zoleta-Manalac is assured of an elite ranking in the next three-year period starting with the 2018 Jakarta.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 14th, 2016

Auto industry 2020 target in peril with planned tax hike

MANILA, Philippines – The implementation of a proposal to raise automobile taxes by 2018 would throw the Philippine automotive industry off the track from cl.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 11th, 2016

Rody visit to Russia to enhance defense cooperation

MANILA, Philippines – President Duterte is scheduled to visit Russia in March or April next year, Foreign Affairs Secretary Perfecto Yasay Jr......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 29th, 2016

OFWs exempted from airport terminal fee starting March

MANILA, Philippines - Starting March 2017, overseas Filipino workers no longer have to pay the P550 airport terminal fee......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 28th, 2016

Vista Land spending P18 B for new malls

MANILA, Philippines – Vista Land & Lifescapes Inc., the leading property developer of the Villar family, is pouring in P18 billion from 2017 to 2018 to b.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 27th, 2016

Eagles march to sixth straight win, twice-to-beat edge

MANILA, Philippines — Ateneo de Manila University cruised to their sixth straight win at the expense of Adamson University, 73-67, to secure the No......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 16th, 2016